Post Slow performance - Linux & Tomcat

Hi..having some real performance problems w/my current hosting company on a JSP app (running in Tomcat against MYSQL). Seems to me like either their servers or network are overloaded, but I'm having trouble confirming this or finding out why..

Below is output from TOP..not too bad this time, but I saw load averages of *9* once, and 4-6 pretty regularly (usually in the evenings). Also 470 processes seems a bit high to me for an Intel/Linux machine..

Is this box just WAY overloaded? It is dual CPU - not sure of clock speed.

(Note: my simple little login window - no DB access..just a GIF and a FORM - is sometimes taking 10-20 seconds to load into the browser at times..obviously NOT GOOD!)

2:16pm up 11 days, 3:04, 6 users, load average: 2.19, 2.76, 2.40
    473 processes: 470 sleeping, 2 running, 1 zombie, 0 stopped
    CPU0 states: 44.3% user, 23.0% system, 0.0% nice, 32.2% idle
    CPU1 states: 36.6% user, 30.1% system, 0.0% nice, 32.4% idle
    Mem: 2065212K av, 1978352K used, 86860K free, 0K shrd, 134460K buff
    Swap: 522072K av, 43684K used, 478388K free 1301436K cached

Thanks for any comments/ideas..

Kolding, Denmark
    Seems overloaded, yes - it may be a problem with the performance of the disk system (IDE disks?) since there is no swapping and the CPU's are not entirely maxed out. However, if "Idle" tends to be low the CPU-load may be a problem as well.

Short bursts causing a load around 4-5 is generally no problem but a constant load above 2 should definitely be avoided.
    Best regards,

Anders C. Madsen
    Golden Planet Support -

Ann Arbor, MI
    Am I reading that right? 2GB of memory, and most of it is being used? And only 500MB swap space was configured?

The 470 processes doesn't seem all that high for a machine with that much memory and two cpus, but they probably are using too much memory to just be sitting there. Also, the server load is that high with only two processes running (one is your top more than likely)? I'm thinking someone needs to find out what that zombie is, because there might be some major problem. Or someone is hogging the cpu with a long running process like some type of analysis or backup script or something.

I'd guess that the machine is being worked hard both with user processes and system stuff, but 10-20 seconds for a page to load doesn't seem right. Is it slow to start loading, and then finishes loading fast? Or does it take a long time to start loading and finish loading? If it's the second, it indicates network congestion.
    Last edited by bitserve; 10-09-2002 at 02:12 AM.
    -Mark Adams - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!