Book Recommendations

what should be purchased / looked into ? topics relatng to Linux , SysAdmin works etc.
    http://www.featuredhost.com | mailto: sales@featuredhost.com | ASP.NET-MS SQL-Cold Fusion hosting| Cheap domain registration | MSN : sales@featuredhost.com |

You don't need to know Linux to start a web hosting business. You can just hire a SysAdmin

If you want to be a SysAdmin yourself, then I would suggest:

Linux System Administration (By Stanfield & Smith)
    Linux Network Administrators Guide (Fully available online at oreilly and tldp.org)
    Hacking Linux Exposed

I've also seen many other recommendations before. Try a search.
    Ahmad Alhashemi
    PHP, Apache, C, Python, Perl, SQL
    18 related BrainBench certificates

i strongly object to hacking linux exposed.

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

Originally posted by rusko

paul
    on what basis?

I second that recommendation, and would add the SAMS title 'Maximum Linux Security'

Red Hat Linux Bible
    -elevation

thanx for the info's Guys . It is true that I don't need to learn Linux to start my hosting business . I can hire professional help which I am doing . But , charges are always a factor . Also ... it is MY business so ... I prefer to know what is being done so that I never loose out control at any point of time . My customers are very valuiable to me .

any other book recomedations would also be nice . I will d some purchasing after I get some sort of consensus or at least more than one opinion .
    http://www.featuredhost.com | mailto: sales@featuredhost.com | ASP.NET-MS SQL-Cold Fusion hosting| Cheap domain registration | MSN : sales@featuredhost.com |

Buy a linux book first.
    Ronny Fang
    Linux Problems Solved. | Built for the Hosting Industry
    Server Management. Node Management. Helpdesk Management.
    ( AcuNett, Est. 15 Years, RateLobby 5 Stars )

ummmm ... well ,i intend to ... suggest one

Hi flashgear,

I would suggest getting some very basic books such as dummy's/ or idiot's book on the subject (not implying you are one ) from my experience I found the Maran books is of better teaching aids as most of their books are "Teach Yourself.. visually-"The fast and Easy Way To Learn" as the say, "A Picture is word a thousand words" I guess it could be very true. The website url: www.idgbooks.com

Once you have surpass the steep learning curve on Linux, then your are ready to look through on more advance books on the subject. One good source of searching is your local library.

Regards
    WHO AM I? CLICK HERE!

Originally posted by rusko

paul
    Do you strongly object to getting your server compromised? If you do then buy the book.

I have http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cg...6&cpid=1563220 seems to be about $12/14 used. Amazon had it for $7 when I picked it up.

Most of these types of books are decent, some a bit dry, and you can fill in the missing parts by actually using linux and searching the web. Gives you a good overview of everything anyhow...
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

rm -rf linux && ./install fbsd

www.freebsd.org <- freebsd handbook

ok ... recommedations getting beter .. now i will have to decide ..

as fer the rm -rf linux ... 2 late

I've read some of the Hacking Exposed books, a few of the Maximum (Linux) Security books and I believe that "Real World Linux Security" by Bob Toxen is surpasses these books to great levels.

As far as general Linux books go, I think "Linux Administration: A Beginner's Guide, Second Edition" by Steve Shah is fantastic. Great beginner and reference book.