Pre-sales responses = quality service?

I don't want to bash so I'll not explicitly mention any host in particular, but here's my dilemma:

I posed a few questions to a host on their Contact page (the host in question prominently features "gear"s in their name and logo). It took about 24 hours to get a response, but I got one. However, follow up questions were ignored. I replied to their reply, so I know it went to the person who responded. My question is this: they have decent packages, but the lack of response from the Sales department makes me really nervous that their support department ignores emails as well. Another host responded promptly to all questions (this host's responses were "crystal" clear and their "tech"s seemed knowledgeable). What are your opinions? Is a response or 3 to some emails a good sign of a host's responsibility and quality of customer service, and does this generally roll into their level of support? Both hosts have been mentioned here and have received good reviews, but I'm extremely disheartened by the first one's lack of...well...entusiasm to my potential business.

I don't know who your second choice is. You may want to search for posts on both of them here. 24 hrs is long. Sounds like you posted correctly to contact them, but I'm not sure how you replied (email or back at the support desk).
    intellec
    ....you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get....

Hrmm.. I know I spend more time on clients than in sales..

Perhaps they had a heap of clients with problems?

For me pre-sales inquiries are last on the list to be answered. A current customers support question gets priority. Then, when I have time I'll answer the pre-sales stuff. I'd rather keep my current customers happy (happy and well looked after customer = keep their business = less cost than gaining a new one) before trying to gain a new one.

Also if you sent a reply to the person that responded to you, that person may have a few days off (which is why you shouldn't do that!) so they may well have excellent and responsive support

Generally speaking if they've got a good reputation on WHT they should be good, so do some more searching on these forums.

--Josh
    Josh Powell.
    ServerSpotCheck - Is your website down?
    Skimpylink - Not as tiny as some but much cuter!

As a potential customer, I find the pre-sales support to be of significance because at which time I am not a customer and have no way to guage from inside. Thus if they response to my pre-sales queries, it shows that they care about my business. I believe that the pre-sales response correlates with the post-sales support.

If the host takes a couple of days or ignore my pre-sales inquiries, I would take it that the host does not care about supporting its clients.

So Daren, if the host is ignoring your pre-sales queries, just ignore them and move on. You probably be better off without them.

In my own business, I treat both potential and current clients with about the same priority. Of course, when I answer the existing clients first, I will still put a response to the potential clients within 6 hours of inquiries rather than to keep them standing. Sometimes they may require the service, in my case, programs urgently and usually that would turn to an actual sale.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Thanks for the responses...I didn't figure anyone on this board would let me down.

I agree about the sales contact may have had a few days off...but my email to the Sales contact was over a week ago. If they have THIS much time off, I want to switch jobs

Also, Sales and Support are two different areas (at least, that's the impression I get) so it's not a matter of handling support questions first, then getting to sales questions.

Regardless, thanks for the responses.

Daren,

Well, the thing is that some web hosts are run by one or a few people so basically you might get the same group answering your sales queries as would the support people.

True, on a larger business, the sales and support department should be distinctively different areas so they definitely should take priority in their area of responsibility.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Originally posted by eddy2099
    Daren,

Well, the thing is that some web hosts are run by one or a few people so basically you might get the same group answering your sales queries as would the support people.
    A slow response on a sales question might clue you in that it has a small staff that's trying to do everything and may be letting some areas slide.
    A fast response to a sales request says to me that they want my business. It's one way of judging how they treat customers.
    There are a lot of factors to take into consideration when you're looking for a new host and you have to figure what's important to you.
    Laura K.
    http://www.madmousergraphics.com
    graphic design for grownups

If the host takes a couple of days or ignore my pre-sales inquiries, I would take it that the host does not care about supporting its clients.

Not at all - read the replies before that. I'd personally value a host supporting existing clients first, than one simply after sales but little client support.

I'm still waiting for replies from a couple of hosts regarding pre-sales questions. But I'm not rushing into a contract.

Try contacting through standard pre-sales e-mail again.

Yeah, I agree that it is nice that a host supports existing clients first. But how do we know that that was the case with the first host he emailed? I don't know...just a thought.

Well he doesn't unless he gets a recommendation. I'm not saying that it should take days to give a response to a pre-sales inquiry. Maybe 24 hours at the most.

As a customer though, I know I'd rather, (whatever the business is I'm dealing with), know that their number one priority is to me, an existing customer.
    Josh Powell.
    ServerSpotCheck - Is your website down?
    Skimpylink - Not as tiny as some but much cuter!

I would also be concerned if your perspective host is dealing with so many technical requests that they do not have time to do anything else....like answer pre-sales questions. This could be an indication of their support department being overloaded.
    *AlphaOmegaHosting.Com* - Hosting since 1998
    Managed Dedicated Servers and VPS
    Hosted Exchange 2010 Email Service

Or maybe they reached targets, so treated themselves to a day out at Disneyland?

I can't imagine an example of a time when not responding to a client for more than 24 hours would be acceptable (prospective or otherwise). Let alone a week.
    Given how much it costs to attract clients the first time, this would indicate to me:
    1. A seriously undertaffed organization
    2. An organization whose priorities need to be re-examined
    3. An organization who does not place the client's needs first
    4. An organization doomed to fail taking your website offline with it

I would definately move on. Then again, I am not a patient person.

The way I look at it is this:

If a webhost isn't interested in responding to your PRE-sales enquiry in a time manner (i.e to get more business) what makes you think they're going to care once they have you.

While it's true it's critical to maintain and service your existing clients the majority of business's will lose 10-20% of their customer base in any year due to things beyond their control, customers needs change, etc etc (some people can never be pleased) so it becomes obviously critical to gain and obtain new business.

For customers, perception is reality, if they have the understanding they will get priority response in 1 hour and it takes 2 they're going to be disapointed - if you explain on your website they will gain a response within 6 hours and you deliver it in 2 they're going to be happy.

I guess my point is that if you set the expectation and then deliver upon it there's no reason for a client to be disapointed.

Matt
    Matt Pearce
    http://synergymax.com
    'integrated e-solutions tailored to your needs'