Angry Hostpacket.net, Stay Away

Hello...

I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing about hostpacket.net right about now. But I have to share this. I am probably one of his last remaining members. After the so called spammer incident back in mid august, my site and many of the other have been not totally functional. Kevin, the guy supposedly running the show, was no where to be found for about a month until last night. Me and many of his customers have been screaming for him on the forum to help us, give us some kind of customer support. There was none. I suspected he just left us all high and dry. Now, he suddenly returns last night and posts a ridiculous poll asking US the customers if we think he should continue on with his business. As if WE would have any knowledge of whether he could do that or not. But obviouslt from what he has shown he is incapable of that. He screwed up majorly and is not man enough to admit it. Anytime you criticize him, you are a "bad guy". He shows NO responsibility and just makes excuses for why his 30 money back claims are not really 30 day money back guarantees. Also, he throws it in our faces that charge backs will not work because "online transactions" do not qualify since his merchant provider will halt any claim.

I was actually one of the few that was giving him a chance. But I have reached my last straw. Last night he deleted all the posts that had any derogatory words about him and hostpacket. He basically deleted me because I questioned how he could go on vacation at a time like this, when his business is going down the tubes. I've been screaming about no support. I told him I was going to the Better Business Bureau. So what did he do today? He banned my IP address from his forum. The only place where his customers can go and vent besides here and he banned me from his forum. This is how he treats his customers.

There was another customer on the forum that suggested Kevin is just a kid who has no remorse and whose parents probably have no idea how he is treating customers of hostpacket. All I want to say is that banning me from his forum, after I tried to give him a chance to fix the problem, was just about all i can take. I will be seeking action against him.

ANYONE LOOKING AT HOSTPACKET.NET AS A FUTURE HOST, PLEASE STAY AWAY!

Tom

Nick Twaddell
    WebSpace Solutions - Custom E-Solutions
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable Web Hosting

Yes, a quick check shows that I, too, have been banned from the HostPacket Forum. Seems he blocked our IPs and specific usernames from viewing it. If you have a secondary connection you can still get in as a guest. Though, at last check, he is once again deleting posts like the ones you mentioned above and locking threads asking for help and the status of our refunds.

I have also re-capped/vented the whole situation here - http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=78992.

haha

Oh my, he's a unique one huh? Sorry that you guys had to go through that...

John

It really is frustrating because this was my first host after researching for two weeks. I signed up with hostpacket in early august and then two weeks later everything went to hell. I was concerned with the fact that hostpacket was only 2 months old. I will never make this mistake again.

That was a good rehash of most of what's happened Cimara. I'll never sign with another host that has so few employees as well. Martin, Ronald, Jason.....all these guys were not even in an office or anything. They were all halfway across the world replying to our problems via the internet on their home computers. That's why they were limited in the help they could give us.

Kevin has absolutely NO clue how to run a webhost. It amazes that he even figured out how to ban an IP. This guy had absolutely no care in the world about his forum, except for advertising on WebHostingTalk's forum. So he passed the forum up to Martin, who then left after a week.

I am pissed. And worried about the process of having to switch hosts. Nobody seems to be any good. A friend of mine told me to go with pair.com but they are a bit more expensive.

Does anyone know what Kevin's last name is? There should be a listing on WebHostingTalk which lists all bad companies and the frauds who run them. I think it's Fong. Stay Away!!

well..

Yeah, I'm with hostrocket now. They seem to be very well established, and know what they're doing.

John

Originally posted by pkingtom

Does anyone know what Kevin's last name is? There should be a listing on WebHostingTalk which lists all bad companies and the frauds who run them. I think it's Fong. Stay Away!!
    Well, a Whois
    http://www.directnic.com/whois/?query=hostpacket.net
    revealed the following :-

Registrant:
    HostPacket LLC
    106 Continental Blvd
    Toronto, ON M5B 2P4
    CA
    +1 (650) 745-2496
    Fax:+1 (650) 745-2496

Domain Name: HOSTPACKET.NET

Administrative Contact:
    Fong, Kevin [email protected]
    106 Continental Blvd
    Toronto, ON M5B 2P4
    CA
    +1 (650) 745-2496

Technical Contact:
    Fong, Kevin [email protected]
    106 Continental Blvd
    Toronto, ON M5B 2P4
    CA
    +1 (650) 745-2496
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Re: well..

Originally posted by PPjohn
    Yeah, I'm with hostrocket now. They seem to be very well established, and know what they're doing.

John
    Are you serious, or was that sarcasm?

And yes Kevin's last name is Fong, but the address in the WHOIS information is false. (He is situated in Toronto though)

this isn't ment to "flame" you or try to anger you, but every company starts at 1 time or another, they don't just appear as 5yr old companies. i'm not defending kevin, i don't even know him or really care about his business except that i'm learning from other peoples mistakes of how not to run a business and doing the opposite, and yes, my partner and i have a young company.

The contact information from whois isn't valid, as there's no street in Toronto called "Continental Blvd".

However, his address from www.hostsearch.com seems to be correct:

Address 84 carlton st,apt 708
    Toronto M5B 2P4
    Canada
    Phone: 852-23498573
    Fax: 852-23498604

The phone and fax information isn't right, but doing a little investigating reveals that there is someone with the last name "Fong" living in that building.

NZ

Exclamation

On HostPacket's main page they claim:

"With combined practical networking experience of more than 5 years, our team of technical support engineers are well equipped to handle all forms of network hardware and software contingencies." (This load of BS is pretty hard to believe.)

I understand and it's quite obvious that all companies must start out fresh, but is that an escuse to lie, cheat, and betray your customers?

Well, that's exactly what Kevin had done.

Originally posted by LogicBrendan
    this isn't ment to "flame" you or try to anger you, but every company starts at 1 time or another, they don't just appear as 5yr old companies. i'm not defending kevin, i don't even know him or really care about his business except that i'm learning from other peoples mistakes of how not to run a business and doing the opposite, and yes, my partner and i have a young company.

I'm not taking your reply as a flame. At the same time I don't think it is appropriate to this topic. As you said, you don't seem to know anything about Kevin or what he has done. So please don't post about how you are learning so we should sign up with you. Allow us to vent because this is DEFINITELY something to vent about.

And another thing. I as a consumer have the right to not choose a host because they have not been around too long. True, everyone has to start out somewhere. But for now on that is not my concern. After doing research one of the biggest things I learned on my list was not to trust hosts that have been around for a short period of time. I went against that and chose hostpacket.net. I will NEVER make this mistake again.

Originally posted by Piano
    On HostPacket's main page they claim:

"With combined practical networking experience of more than 5 years, our team of technical support engineers are well equipped to handle all forms of network hardware and software contingencies." (This load of BS is pretty hard to believe.)

I understand and it's quite obvious that all companies must start out fresh, but is that an escuse to lie, cheat, and betray your customers?

Well, that's exactly what Kevin had done.
    Well, the operative word here is Combined . So if you have a family of 5 and collectively they spent a year setting up the home computers and networking them. That would count as 5 persons x 1 year = 5 combined years of experience.

Being 'well equipped' they may mean to have all the books and tools which they acquire during their 5 combined years which should contain the steps to fix those problems.

True, I have nothing against new companies and as you say, they have to start new at one point of time.

I am not siding Hostpacket also. I have no vested interest in this respect but the point is that being in the software industry has shown me how flowery product descriptions can be. I remember software packaging with very impressive write-outs of what the program can do and achieve and so on but after purchasing it, found it a total disappointment. Words were twisted and facts distorted. Mind you, they are probably not wrong in what was mentioned but they do not fall within how I interpreted them to be. So much for advertising.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions