Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

highly skilled administrator looking for work

Greetings,
    The subject says it all, but I'll go over a few of my qualifications and whatnot in here.

I have been using LInux at home (and at work) for 5+ years, and in that time have become overly familliar with system administration, networking, various security tasks and even day to day Linux use, as it's my primary OS (windows is a swear word around my house).

In the time I've used Linux, I have managed to highly focus on:
    --System Security
    --System Administration
    --Mail Transport Agents (MTA's), specifically on alternatives to sendmail (my preferred choice has always been Qmail)
    --Network Connections
    -- much more

In addition, over the past few years, I have taken this training to network (online) systems, thusly familliarizing myself with Cpanel and Ensim, and various other online security measures and tactics.

So, why am I posting this? I am looking for a few individuals who know they need a competent systems administrator to handle various system tasks (updating services, updating packages, minor programming, etc). I'm not looking to make a killing, or to take all your profits, in fact you'll find my prices are more than reasonable (< $100 a month or $25 per incident).

Of course, with those rates you'd expect some inexperienced, incompetent administrating your system, right? Not so. I can provide (at least) 3 references that will vouch for my ability to handle problems, and administrate a system competently if asked.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, if you're interested in any of the above mentioned services, please, feel free to contact me (info provided below). Even if you just have questions about the services (I can do a lot more than I mentioned here, I just kept the qualifications down to a minimum, for space).

TJW
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

If you want to get ripped off hire him.

I paid wolfstream.com $85.00 for services. I got 5 days of work done then he quit. I asked for a refund then had my full $85.00 taken. And this is what I was told when I asked for a refund.

The reason he quit apparently was because I asked questions about my server. I might not know linux, but I do know that not asking questions when someone is supposedly providing a service. You need to know what's going on.

He says he's professional. But would a professional get paid for 30 days worth of services then quit? And not give a refund? This is my reply when I asked for a refund after he just quits.

I'm sorry, but I stated (very clearly) at the beginning that there were no
    refunds. You asked, I stated.
    I've worked quite heavily on your machine over the past few days,installed
    CPanel and quite a few other programs. Consider that money spent for services
    given.
    Have a great day
    On Saturday 05 October 2002 03:05 pm, you wrote:
    > I appreciate you have your standards for working.
    >
    > I just wish to be kept upto date with what's going on. Again as I mentioned
    > before if i don't know what's going on, and you are ever not available then
    > it's my problem if anything goes wrong.
    >
    > If you are quitting then I am going to need to have the funds refunded.
    > If you are going to be able to work with the standards I asked for then
    > that's fine.
    >
    > I am not sure what you find offensive about having system admin information
    > forwarded to me. If I can't interpret it I can learn in time, or ask
    > someone.
    >
    > Regardless if you have made up your mind that's fine. Please refund the
    > account, because quitting was not part of the arrangements.
    >

Last time
    There are no refunds on services period.
    Any further emails will be treated as harassment and forwarded to your
    provider (aol). I told you in the beginning "no refunds", I meant it. You
    have received MORE than $75 worth of services. Go out and price these
    services individually:
    CPanel install
    Security install
    perldesk install
    10+ hours of system administrative work (at minimum $15 an hour)
    end of discussion, there are no refunds period. I stated this once and I state
    it again.
    Good day

this is the last mail in this topic, period:
    iF you want a refun, I shall bill you individuall for services provided:
    CPanel install -- $25
    Security Install -- $30
    5 hours misc server administration and personal time (for answering emails,
    etc) (at $25 hr) = $125
    PerlDesk Install -- $15
    Grand total: $195
    Take my advice and just drop it and let it be. I WILL report you should you
    choose to continue this discussion. The arrangement (and I quote)
    ----------------------------

You have this scam down to a tee.

So, why am I posting this? I am looking for a few individuals who know they need a competent systems administrator to handle various system tasks (updating services, updating packages, minor programming, etc). I'm not looking to make a killing, or to take all your profits, in fact you'll find my prices are more than reasonable (< $100 a month or $25 per incident).

Of course, with those rates you'd expect some inexperienced, incompetent administrating your system, right? Not so. I can provide (at least) 3 references that will vouch for my ability to handle problems, and administrate a system competently if asked.

5 days ago when this guy scamed me these were the going rates.

Greetings,
    Thanks for your interest in Wolfstream and it's services. Unfortunately, the
    site's greatly under construction at the moment, however the prices and
    services won't be changing at all.

As far as server administration, I charge in two seperate ways:
    Firstly, for just system administration, the rate is $75 per month for 30
    "incidents". Incidents are defined as something that takes more than 15
    minutes to handle (most don't take more than 15 minutes at the most). The
    services provided, included are (but are certainly not limited to):
    -- CPanel administration
    -- Package installation and upgrades
    -- Server maintainance (backups, restoring backups, restoring sql databases
    and more)
    -- Misc system administration tasks

In addition, all customers are encouraged to take advantage of our monitoring
    services, which are offered at a discount of $10 monthly per server for
    customers. These monitor http, sql, pop3, imap, ftp and various other ports
    every five minutes, andinclude recovery on failure for administration
    customers. Of course the monitoring service is NOT required as part of the
    administration package, but it is highly reccomended.

If there are any additional questions I can answer, please, feel free to
    contact me, via email (you have the address), or the following methods:
    ICQ; 153158973
    AIM: twhiting9275
    MSN:[email protected]

I look forward to discussing this with you further,
    Thomas J Whiting
    Wolfstream Internet Services

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I hate going public with these things, but i am not going to sit back and let you rip more people off. Who are you kidding. My money's probably still sitting hot in your bank account. Have the decency to let some time pass between scams.

WHT is a community and you are not ripping off one more person if I can help it.

**rofl**
    One bad apple right?
    Actually, this is FAR from a scam. I'm a professional administrator, and I've got the references to prove it (I did advise you to check those just as well).

Yes, I cancelled your account, and our contract, and NO I did not scam you.

As I stated in my email, I installed those services for you (at no charge). I also held you by the hand and babied you through the process of starting up a server and securing it.

I invested a week worth of time into your server, and FAR more than 30 "incidents" as was the arrangement. I DO have that email as well. Each email took more than 15 minutes to write, each contact with you took more than 15 minutes of my time. Therefore, you were not scammed in any way shape or form. Usually, I don't count emails as incidents, but in this case I'm going to, because you insist on being such a pain about this.

Various others have used my services here, and only one has complained. Why? Because that one wanted something that he couldn't handle, so I cancelled the subscription (after I fulfilled more than my monthly duties to your server).

You're NOT the only client I have Sphere, and I find it humorous to say the least that you filed a fraudulent complaint with paypal (services are NOT merchandise), claiming you want your monies back. If you had your way, I would not be paid in any way, shape or form for the work I did on your server (since Monday). I don't work like that. I've put in my time, and I will NOT have my time not rewarded with the agreed upon funds.

Any skilled system administrator will tell you that the price you paid ($75) for those services was in and of itself a bargain. I, for one offer these services at quite the bargain, because I AM professional and I DO Know what I'm doing.. Quite a few people in here will vouch for that very thing.

I've solved system crisis in a flash, on more than one ocasion (something in and of itself worth > $75 a month), I've solved various problems (on your server included), again, something worth > $75 a month.

In short, I lived up to our agreement (30 incidents for $75, more @ $10 per incident). You would have a 40hr a week individual for the price you pay for my services.

Again, go out and price these services seperately. You KNEW from the beginning there'd be no refunds, yet you whine like a child when you didn't get your money back (even lied to paypal).

I'm 100% certain of the outcome of this event with PayPal, just as I am of my own services. Conceited? No, I'm just good. I have solved more than one crisis in record time, I have saved MANY a system from going under, I have installed MANY a package at QUITE the affordable rate I offer.

Scam? Who's scamming who here? I'm certainly not. I stated very clearly there were no refunds, and what I would do, even the terms of the contract (30 incidents). Your repeated attempts to discredit me will fail, because they are attempts that are not even true.

Yes, I cancelled our arrangement, YES I did work on your server for 5 days, YES I installed CPanel, Perldesk, and various other system administrative and security fixes. YES, you walked away with a bargain.

In the longrun, you are the one who is the scam artist here, the one who would have all this done for nothing. I encourage you, go to various other forums and price a CPanel install (you'll get prices from $50-$150). Go and price technical support and system administration (again, you'll get prices from $10hr (if you're lucky) to $50 hr). I spent 10 hours on your own server this week.

Comparatively speaking, you got a bargain, yet you want more for your money. Understandable, but your own actions caused this subscription to be cancelled.

In other words, quit trying to scam, yourself. Your lies are as pathetic as they come. Go out and price a system administrator, you'll find my services are not only dirt cheap but real.

You scammed me plain and simple.

You are the only person laughing here. This is the agreement.

As per our conversation before I signed on.

I would be glad to see that you are paid for fair services rendered. You were hired for what you said you would do. You are not doing the services. So yes I do want my money back. I hired you for a peroid of work. No for peice work. If I had hired for peice work then yes this might be fair, but you bs and said oh, I'm skilled I'm a pro. I do all this as part of the services for $75.00
    You are so full of it. Then to back out and rip of my money who are you kidding? Below is what you said before I paid you the money.

As far as training, I'm fine with that. I have no problem training an
    individual in how to administrate a linux machine, however, this will have to
    be done in a "class" setting (setting up a dedicated time, beit a half hour,
    or an hour an evening and discussing things through any IM), unless these are
    strictly questions which I'm always willing to answer.

Then when I asked if you had a money back guarentee you did say no, but you said if a client was not happy, with the work you would go out of your way to solve problems and so forth.

Well I am not happy with your services. Simply because I paid for a lenght of time and that is what was agreed upon. How professional is it to skip out after 5 days. Because i ask questions about my server?

Below is what this person said. I am happy to pay you for work done. But you are not getting paid for 30 days of work for 5 days. When what you did according to you was part of your expert services. And you are billing for emails now? Really professional.

> And does your service come with any money back guarantee?
    Because of the fact that my services come reasonably priced (go out and price
    a tech to come in and do what I do within the first 24 hours of getting
    inside of a server, you'll find that you're getting quite a bargain.. Usually
    it's a $200-$300 job for professional setup like that), I can't exactly offer
    a money back refund. If you're not happy with something I do, tell me and
    I'll find a way to work it so that you ARE happy with it, if it can be done
    at all.
    I realize that this is a bit much, and a bit harsh, but, please, remember that
    you're not dealing with ":product" here, you're dealing with "service".
    Service takes time to do, and time is always worth money. I don't falsely
    advertise my services (they come with everything I've said and more usually).

Remember again, that this is my business. If my customer's not happy, then
    chances are they won't come back. My goal is to make the customer happy
    (within reason). As long as the customer remembers they're not paying for a
    dedicated 24/7 tech, and doesn't expect 40+ hours a week worth of work for
    $75 a month worth of administrative tasks. Even 10 hours a week is pushing
    it, but I generally find that I am performing various tasks on servers 5-20
    hours a week, depending on the server.

If asking questions was not going to be ok. You should never have agreed to it. Ever. Ofcourse you will probably win with paypal. You know how hard it is for customers to get their money back for non tagible goods. I'm sure that's why you use it.

This was our conversation. I simply need you to live up to what you agreed to. That to me is professional.

You might find this funny, but I don't. I paid for a service. If I had fired you, and you did not want to refund the money fine, but you quit with my money, and if you want to be paid for 5 days no problem, but for 30 days, their is no way.

Below is what you said would be ok. This is in no way what you have lived up to.

> If you have the logs sent to me and you, they will be not very useful to me
    > at first, but later on with some tips and tutoring, I will understand what
    > they mean.
    That I can do, however they are quite "spammy", as I check them every half
    hour.

> Ok. I think that was all the questions i had so far. As long as you
    > understand that I really like fast response times. (Which have been just
    > fine so far.)
    The only hours you're guaranteed NOT to get a response from me are 12m -
    3/330a CST, as i work part time for the city during these hours, though that
    is looking to draw to a close shortly

>I ask a lot of questions. (That's how I learn. I will often
    > ask the same thing twice to make sure it was clear and that there were no
    > misinterpretations.) This is a first server so there will be more
    > questions, but I am happy to learn.

Questions are fine, that is how people learn. I am a self taught professional
    (been using linux for almost 5, 6 years now), so I understand completely that
    questions are the best way to do it.

Re: You scammed me plain and simple.

Just because you don't see any output from the monitor is NO reason to asume it's not working. I've at least one client who's seen and proven that it is working.. Any good monitor does not alert you to 'false' problems.

What was not clear to you?

As I stated in my email, I installed those services for you (at no charge). I also held you by the hand and babied you through the process of starting up a server and securing it.

When i explained that this was my first server. I did not know linux and that was why I was hiring a system admin, and I would be asking a lot of questions, but willing to learn, and happy to do any system duties I could, because I eventually wanted to take care of my box, what was not clear to you?

Babied through? I don't know linux I happy admit that. I told you striaght out that i did not. But I also explained really clearly that I wanted to learn and take an active role in taking care of the box. I asked to have the system logs sent over. I might not be able to interpret them all now, but I was fully willing to learn.

Instead when I asked questions and wanted to know what was going on, I only ever received rude answers and not enoungh help.

You might have been doing a good job on the server, but whenever I asked about a system porcess that failed or something that did not seem right, you would just blow it off and say oh I'm a professional.

Being a professional is know how. But it's also how you treat your clients. You did not in any way shape of form act professional on this case. You quit for no good reason. Me asking questions about my server, or wanting my system logs to go to me as well as you, or wanting to be contacted should something go wrong with the box, is not a good enough reason for you to quit.

To turn around and now say you are charging me for emails, cause I asked questions about my box is not professional. If you had stated that they would be charged as part of your service then hey, but you and i both know that's not the case.

We could both go on, but the bottom line is. I have paid you for services which you said the $85.00 would cover for one full month. If you are not willing to live up to that. You need to a)Refund my account, or b) live up to the obligations you commited to.

My name is Ditlev Bredahl, I am the owner of a few hosting companies, and Tom has been an employee of mine during the last months. I think it would only be fair to add a few comments here.

Lets look at the facts...I dont know the details, but if Tom actually
    installed Cpanel + Perldesk + Firewall etc. (security) AND spend 5 hours on answering your emails....all for $75?
    Then I hope that you are not seriously asking for a refund?
    If so - then let this be a warning to all your clients - if you are not willing to pay $75 for these services, that really goes to show how serious you are about your business.

I dont know why the two of you didnít hit it off...Iíve had quite a few admins working for me, even had to sack a one or two. But Tom never let me down, actually he saved my ass more than once. He is extremely professional, and takes his work very seriously - my clients has actually begun asking for him directly, because they know that he gets his job done.
    In fact I have paid Tom several special bonuses on top of the agreement we allready have.

Again, I have no idea what went wrong here - but it seems that you really got your moneys worth...Those things he did for you should cost you more than the double.

/ditlev
    Last edited by BwBroker; 10-06-2002 at 03:32 PM.

Just because you don't see any output from the monitor is NO reason to asume it's not working. I've at least one client who's seen and proven that it is working.. Any good monitor does not alert you to 'false' problems.

You are now going to lie and say that my server would have been monitored? But because of my paypal action, you are using that as an excuse. You really beleive your own lies? Where does the BS end with you? These are your last two emails to me before you I guess got angry and quit. Cause I wanted emails to come to me and you about my server?

You are so rude in your response. You are not going to ask my permission about things that don't relate to me? (My server relates to me, casue anything goes wrong, people do not go, oh that crappy system admin, or of that awful server. They look to the owner for blame. All I tried to do was be responsible, and to end I got ripped off. That is not fair and that is wrong.

On Saturday 05 October 2002 02:31 pm, you wrote:
    > I realise you need to have the emails come to you for your system
    > admin duties.
    >
    > I would appreciate changes like that to be forwarded to me in future.
    >
    > But I also want to have any system issues forwarded to me.
    >
    > I have created an email that will forward to your email and well as my
    > email.
    >
    > Please confirm that you have received this email.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > GmB
    Ugh,
    First off you have no idea what these mails mean, how to fix the problems or
    anything of the like.

Once again, step away from the system administrative position and let the
    professional handle this. You can't even handle linux itself, this is clearly
    seen.

I'm not going to argue with you about this. It's that simple. If you can't
    leave me the leeway to do my job, you will find yourself in a load of hot
    water really fast.

You MAY be a great admin (web wise), but when it comes to Linux youknow
    NOTHING about diagnosing problems an trying to fix them.

I'm NOT going to ask for your approval on things that don't even relate to you
    (I am a skilled system administrator, you aren't even a linux user) when you
    can do nothing but damage with them.

Please removeme from this forwarding email and anything of the like, and
    change your system password.

I'm sorry, but I'mnot going to be able to work under the confines of someone
    who doesn't understand something, yet insists on knowing everything.

I wish you the best of luck, but you'll never get anywhere unless you let
    people do their job without constant badgering and questioning. You need to
    realize you know NOTHING about system administration (you don't even know the
    linux user basics), and when it comes down to it, you insist that you know
    everything..

But where do you get off? I know nothing about system admin, fine so I did the responsible thing and hired one. One who I advised that I would be asking a lot of questions, and that I would be taking an active role in the server duties. You agreed to that. Then you quit.

The first two days were just fine. You told me what to do, and to the best of my abilities I did them. I'm no pro. But giving a list of things to do to take care of my server was fine. I told you I wanted to help do the work if I could. You were like, look just sit back and let the pro take care of this.

I said I wanted to actively participate. So how can you lie and say I wanted you to do all this work and not pay you. I wanted to help. I fully told you you were not expected to do all the work.

You hated me helping after the third day, cause I couldn't install a perl desk and you had to do it, and you decided I was usless to my own server and you should take care of everything and I should be cut out.

But if you had just kept it real with this like this list of things to do this would have gone down just fine.

Stuff for you to do tomorrow (or whenever you get the license installed):
    go to https://66.xxxxxxxxxxx/
    --edit setup (first selection under server setup)
    Change your nameservers to be ns1.yourdomain.com and
    ns2.yourdomain.com. Remember the values you put in at enom? You'll need them
    here (click on assign ip address and assign it). Make SURE you click on add
    an A name for this nameserver as well (important)
    Ignore the master nameserver and trust nameserver options, as they are
    not applicable here.
    Enter your contact email where it asks for contact email address
    Enter my contact aim (twhiting9275) where it asks for contact aim (since
    you don't have aim). the same goes for ICQ (153158973).
    --SAVE settings!!
    Change your hostname (do NOT use www.yourdomain.com or just
    yourdomain.com, as this will create problems later on down the road). This
    option is two links down from edit setup.
    Initial Nameserver Setup (Click on that link, then OK, because you will
    be using your own nameservers).
    Initial Quota setup (again, click on OK, because you'll need quotas).
    Change where system mail goes -- enter your mail address here.
    Change Root Password (after you've got your license installed)
    Change MySQL root password (please make sure you pass these both on to
    me,as I find that I do a few mysql repairs per server (sometimes major)).

Create a New Account (call this yourdomain.com, and don't worry about the
    ip's). Add your user in here (this will be where your main stuff goes, so
    secure this with a decent password and don't limit stuff like bandwidth,
    etc).

Configure backups (don't push it, you should backup maybe once a week) and
    create a /home/backup directory, or even /usr/backup (either way) as root
    before you do this.

Sound like a lot of work? Not really, you should see what I had to do tonight
    to get 'er installed I'll be around a little bit this morning, a little bit
    this afternoon, and more this evening, but I'm in the process of upgrading my
    OS (redhat 8.0 was just released yesterday and I'm one of the lucky few that
    actually managed to find a decent pipe to download it from I'm sure), though
    that shouldn't take but a couple of hours, if it's a typical rh install.

TJW

How can you justify this?

My name is Ditlev Bredahl, I am the owner of a few hosting companies, and Tom has been an employee of mine during the last months. I think it would only be fair to add a few comments here.

Lets look at the facts...I dont know the details, but if Tom actually
    installed Cpanel + Perldesk + Firewall etc. (security) AND spend 5 hours on answering your emails....all for $75?
    If so - then let this be a warning to all your clients - if you are not willing to pay $75 for these services, that really goes to show how serious you are about your business.

I dont know why the two of you didnít hit it off...Iíve had quite a few admins working for me, even had to sack a one or two. But Tom never let me down, actually he saved my ass more than once. He is extremely professional, and takes his work very seriously - my clients has actually asking for him directly, because they know that he gets his job done.
    In fact I have paid Tom several special bonuses on top of the agreement we allready have.

Again, I have no idea what went wrong here - but it seems that you really got your moneys worth...Those things he did for you should cost you more than the double.

/ditlev

Report this

I paid for 30 days worth of work. This is what i am going with.

Tom as part of his service said that was all included. And it would cover a full 30 days. His word is his honour or it's not.

Monitoring. For the extra $10 that's what it was suppose cover. Are you telling Tom can just do this to other people and then back out?

I paid for a server that was suppost to have webmin and a whole bunch of other things installed for free. I wanted Cpanel cause then my Admn would have very little to do. The first company I hired to install Cpanel didn't work out. (They said they installed Cpanel.) He should never have had to do this.

This was not something that I need from him. (He says that when he checked Cpenal had not been installed and he could do it. ) I said ok. He's system admin and he's telling me that his serveices include all this great stuff for that price. Just because he now decided that he's more valuable than that, he just quits?

How professinal is that? I went with his word. I feel that he has no honour for doing this. Without what I feel is a good reason. My server is not being monitored or maintained. But he has my money.

Again if I agree to host someone for a dollar and offer 5GB of space and 200 GB of bandwidth and kick them off after a few days, then I'm sure someone is not going to come here and tell that customer they should be happy because they got more than what they paid for.

My compliant is that i did not get what was agreed to. If he is honorable then he needs to find a way to fulfill what he said he would do.

Yes i am seriously asking for a refund. Someone who charges $50.00 for Cpanel licence can back out after 5 days and say look around, most people charge more than that you got what you paid for. I expect him to be honorable, professional.

I am not sure how you can justify his treatment of my accounts here. I was very serious about this, I had at least two other people offering the same price for services. I choose him, because of his emphasis on professionalism. If i had paid for peice work then this would be fine, but I paid for a lenght and period of time. Plus monitoring.

You are speaking for your experiences and i am glad that you have had a good experience, but i have not. This was a first server. I advised of my expectations and my requirements. He's a professional, but this is the outcome. Never before have I seen the likes.

And why because I wanted to know what was going on with the server? You wanted to know how seriously I take this, I take it really seriously and to that end, wanted to be involved with every aspect of the opperations to the best of my abilities.

On his word he said this would be ok. His word has no honour.
    To just then quit, that to me is not professional. I dont' know how you rate professional, but to me this is not.

For a new person trying to understand the whole server linux thing this has been a bad experience. I am happy to pay for services rendered. If he wants to live up to what he said he would do for the whole month, then that's fine. Other wise I do expect a refund for a breech of verbal contract. And if his word is not any good then so be it.

He can be paid for the number of days he put in, but I paid for 30 days, and to that end he said his services included xy and z. And that asking questions would be ok. If he was a professional, he should have said otherwise.

Lied to paypal?

Again, go out and price these services seperately. You KNEW from the beginning there'd be no refunds, yet you whine like a child when you didn't get your money back (even lied to paypal).
    ____________________________________________________Discredit you no. I really do believe you are a scammer. I really think what you did was wrong. I think if you had any honour you would live up to your arrangments.

Lied to paypal? I paid you for 30 days. You worked for 5. I think you are a scammer. Which part of that is a lie?

You yourself admit that you only worked for 5 days. you admit that you are not living up to the monitoring that I paid you for.

All I know, is the way you did things is not professional. You took my money, when I tried to talk to you about it, your argument was, consider that you got more than what you paid for.

As far as i know what you have yourself admitted to here is what i told paypal.

If I had fired you, then yes there would be no refund expected. But you quit this verbal contract. I just don't see how that is honest or right. You knew what the requirements were. I stated them, but you did not honour them.

Thumbs up

Well allow me to put in my opinion here.

I hired Tom to set up my new ded server and to make sure everything is up and running correctly and securely. I did this after reading many posts here about many of the admins qualifications here, and they are pretty impressive on the whole.

I talked to Tom, hired him and have thus far be VERY happy with the services received. Admins don't come cheap, at least not good ones but Tom is the exception to the rule. With him you get cost effective and qualified. He has been very professional, prompt and knowledgable about what he has done for me.

I would have no reservation recommending him to anyone looking for an admin for their box.

Sometimes people just don't get along and sometimes you just can't please everyone.

Tom has pleased me and I will continue with him for that very reason and as I said, I would reccomend him to anyone.

Then you have been lucky.

legend1

References are no good, when someone can just quit services after 5 days of work and then not even justify it. Or make arrangments to live upto those services. (You can speak for Tom, but my experience is my experience, and everything I have said here today is true.)

If you really are a client who uses his services and you have been happy, then I am happy for you. (And you are really lucky.)

But I again can only go over my experiences with his services, and his responses to legitimate questions I asked. I don't know Tom.

I really do feel that he has just taken the money and run. I have a server. (I never placed anyone on the server, because I was just never comfortable enough to transfer over the accounts.) I am glad I did not not.

I paid him for stuff he said would be included in his services. I could have legitamatly gone with another offer.

All I am asking this person to do is live up to what they have said, or refund me.

If you can speak for someone who does this as part of his business practice then so be it. But I can only speak for myself and this has been a really bad experience.

The worst part was that he really wanted to just quit and take someones money and think it was ok. I really feel that he would do this again, and that is why this issue is being brought up here today.

If Tom had quit services after 5 days of working on your box. I can not imagine that you would be posting here and saying he was doing a good job.
    Well guy, I used to do that kind of work long time ago and know what Tom did to set it up, and how much time he spent on it, I am sure I wouldn't be any where near as upset as you. Time=$$$=Value. And even though it's early in the month, I still feel I have received value for my $$$ based on what has been done so far and the time it took to do it.

You said it was a new server

legend1

If you don't mind me asking. How long have you had your box? You said it was new, so he could not have been on the box for that long. (It sounds like you have not been with him even a month.) I am guessing.

I am not sure what your knowledge of linux is, but you have stated he is doing a good job. Is this because you have been allowed to ask about system processes and so forth, or because he has told you everything is just fine?

I read many post here as well. I went with him, because of his empahsis on professionalism. 3 days ago had he asked me to back him up in a post about how good he was, I think I would have helped him out too. (Simply cause you are so happy to have a system admin on board.) But getting scammed is another story.

I also have a new box like you, and maybe your experience will be well. (I don't think he's likely to back out and scam you after this post.) but if he had done this to you, you might have been here as well.

I really do hope for your sake this works out.

Actually got the box the end of last month so no, I haven't been with him long. Long enough to know what he has done and yes he has answered many of my questions, even those that involved another hosting account I have that is turning out, lets say, not so good.

As for getting scammed, possible, but I have more than a shoolyard knowledge having given up my job as a Sr. Engineer for ATT/Lucent working on IVR systems all on Unix boxes to run my websites.

What I don't have is time Time ro rehone my skills, ( at least as fast as I want things done right now) time to learn the 'ways' of Linux and time to mess with it. That is what I bought and paid for and that is what I received.

I do know this much.

Well guy, I used to do that kind of work long time ago and know what Tom did to set it up, and how much time he spent on it, I am sure I wouldn't be any where near as upset as you. Time=$$$=Value. And even though it's early in the month, I still feel I have received value for my $$$ based on what has been done so far and the time it took to do it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you did admin a long time ago why did you hire a system admin now? I'm just curious.

I don't know how much work Tom actually did. (I am willing to take him at his word.) The first company I hired to install Cpanel still swears up and down that they did the install. He says when he checked the install was not done, and that he did himself.

I have two people saying they installed Cpanel on my box. I am going with his word, because I put some faith and trust in his word in the beginning. (Now I'm not so sure.)

I can back him up on the emails. (But he said he was happy to answer questions, then he does a 365 degree turn.)

Untill you are in my shoes you really can't say how upset you would be. It's easy to sit there, he hasn't walked off with your money refusing to take care of services he said he would. (Untill you walk that mile in someones shoes it's hard to say.)

Time=$$$=Value. In a piece work environment sure. But in a period of time =$$$ to be paid, you need to put in the time.

I paid for 30 days. I expect 30 days. I don't want Tom to walk away without anything. But there is no way he's getting away with 5 days of work, when he was hired for 30. I could not do this to a client and get away with it. That's not the standards I go by, but he wants to get away with this.

If he'd said yeah peice work or something like that, then we would be good. He said it would be service for a month and included would be the setting up and security. I have the email correspondance to prove it. He agreed to do that and monitor for a month.

Can you honestly say he lived up to what he said he would do? It's great that you are willing to talk about the services you have had so far, but you are not in my shoes.

Firstly, yes, you did lie to paypal, the email I got from them proves this:
    -----------------------------
    Dear Tom Whiting,

Recently, PayPal received a complaint from a user regarding
    merchandise not received or received not-as-described.
    The details of this transaction are as follows:
    -------------------------

There was no merchandise for sale, this was a service contract only. From prior experience (I've had to cancel a contract on a prior host, host refused to send me money for month unused, contract was canceled in June, I had July paid for but they wouldn't refund), I know paypal's response in this matter. They don't cover "service" complaints. They won't refund your $$$ there.

In addition, I counted 30 emails in 3 days (from you) and I responded to 90% of those. Technically (if I was splitting hairs here, and in this case I will), this counts as an incident per email, as each took > 15 minutes to read and respond to. So, there's your 30 incidents right there. Usually I wouldn't but I will in this case.

In addition, I was online, talking to you, esentially working with you Wednesday most of the day, Tuesday evening, for a great part of the evening. That was done at no cost (something I don't usually do, because it detracts from my work).

As well, I setup CPanel, spent an hour or better trying to find you a licenser for it (which you chose not to accept), again, all part of my service. The CP setup took the better part of 2 hours (I forget the exact time), thusly qualifying itself as an incident there. Whether I agreed to , or was asked to, is beyond the point here. System administration and installing software is part of the job that I do (and I do it well, as at least 2 of my clients have testified to (the third may not have checked this forum yet)).

I do business in a strictly professional manner, I explained the costs and refund policies to you in the beginning. There are none, because of the nature of the work that I do. I work my tail off for a server, usually within the first 24 hours, tryin to stabilize things, get them secure and whatnot, installing firewalls, etc.

Just as a random thing. I emailed fastservers ( a couple of months back), and asked them how much they'd charge for just a CP setup.. Their response (and this is for the same thing I did): $250. Their justification? We put in various tools to heighten security as well. Well, you got all of that for mere pennies on the dollar..

I've sat here and watched you call my clients my "friends", and in one sense of the word they are. However, each and every testimonial I have has come NOT from a friend (I could pull MANY more of those out) , but from a CLIENT, as to my professionalism and the manner in which I handle my business.

I find it not amusing in the least bit (more harassing) that you've called me a scam artist, that you've insulted my services (when you have used them yourself), that you lie not only to this forum, but to PayPal, because you want your monies refunded.

I told you in the beginning there would be zero refunds, and I meant it. If you insist upon wanting a refund, you will pay the seperate charges for installing security firewalls, cPanel, and various system administrative stuff. I'll even ignore the emails, and go with a strict 5 hour system admin fee (because I know I put in 5 hours over these days)... The total will still be more than your original $85.

As I said in the beginning, I am 100% certain of my own justifications in this matter, and of the fact that I do NOT scam my clients.

Just as an fyi:
    For BWB (bandwidthbroker), I manage 3 servers alone. I also have various other clients who have used my services in the past, and currently do. My reputation isn't tarnished by one individual who is so cheap he'd refuse to pay for services rendered (a fair value even).

The posts by this individual have nothing to do with fraud, except on the individual's part. I am quite a professional in my demeanor and attitude (If I was less of one, I would have given into the flames and personal attacks of Sphere2), I merely have a very good (and qualified) service to offer.

The points you seem to be missing:
    Go out and price these services seperately. You'll pay a LOT more for them as such.

I do NOT rip my clients off (or scam them). They know that if the need arises they can contact me via any method they need and I will have the problem solved (or offer alternative solutions).

My email, my IM methods are open 24/7 to my clients, and no, usually I don't charge them for this service. However, 30+ emails in 3 days is quite excessive, so yes, I am going to charge for these, and count them as "incidents" which they are.

I'm sorry you feel you got ripped off here, but, certainly you didn't. What you WOULD have, however is for me to be ripped off of money that I have worked for and earned. That is unacceptable, period.
    Last edited by whmcsguru; 10-06-2002 at 06:54 PM.

So less then a month.

End of September. Hey you have had him for like less than a week.

So with less than a week, he asked you to speak for him. See I could have been you.

The difference is I am not getting the service and he took my money.

I don't have a lot of linux. I explained that. He said questions were fine.

I started to get a lot of things like this.

/etc/cron.daily/logrotate:

stat of /var/log/exim_rejectlog failed: No such file or directory

stat of /var/log/exim_paniclog failed: No such file or directory
    stat of /var/log/messages failed: No such file or directory
    stat of /var/log/secure failed: No such file or directory
    stat of /var/log/cron failed: No such file or directory
    stat of /var/log/wtmp failed: No such file or directory

Unusual System Events
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    File /var/log/messages cannot be read.
    File /var/log/secure cannot be read.

Unusual System Events
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    File /var/log/messages cannot be read.
    File /var/log/secure cannot be read.

stat of /var/log/exim_paniclog failed: No such file or directory
    stat of /var/log/messages failed: No such file or directory
    stat of /var/log/secure failed: No such file or directory
    stat of /var/log/cron failed: No such file or directory
    stat of /var/log/wtmp failed: No such file or directory

His response is I don't know linux, and I need t just leave the system admin stuff to the professional. If when I asked about this stuff, he explained what it all meant. I would not worry.

But brushing it off and saying hey I'm a professional is worrysome, or this is no concern of yours is unprofessional.
    If I had not asked questions and then something went wrong, people do not go looking for system admins. Your box, your responsibility. I tried to do that. I hired help but this is the turn out.

He knew I would be asking questions. I stated that before I paid him. He said that would be just fine. That's how people learn. Then he quits for the very same thing he says would be ok?

This does not seem right to me. That's what this is about.

hehe - Im starting to see a pattern.

It seems like you wanted a teacher - and not only an admin here.

If you want to learn about linux, buy a book - dont expect your admin to teach you stuff like that.
    Also, it seems that you are totally green here, perhaps you should have read a book or two before you even began this venture?
    How do you provide support to your clients if you do not know anything about even the most simple things as those you list above? Have you hired supporters as well?

/ditlev

sphere2 you admit that you know nothing about Linux, you have wolfstream working for you, as you keep repeating for 5 days. You pay him $75.

$75 / 5 days = $15 per day.

Hello!! Wake up and smell the roses. You got a damned GOOD deal out of that. Installing and configuring a firewall alone should cost more than that - I don't even get out of bed for less than that. Now, because wolfstream has decided he no longer wishes to have you as a client (and I don't blame him there, you sound like a pain in the butt) you want to deny him the money he's already worked for and earned.

List of people to NEVER deal with: sphere2

List of honest sounding, hard working people to deal with in the future: wolfstream
    Josh Powell.
    ServerSpotCheck - Is your website down?
    Skimpylink - Not as tiny as some but much cuter!

In response to wolfstreams post.

I have not lied to paypal. I told them that the full service was not recieved. There was no merchandise received because I did not pay for merchandise. This was a service of which you have worked 5 days. (I am looking at the length of time that you agreed to work.)

The rest of that I assume is your wording about something else. I assume this is what you did to someone else.

Now you want to charge for emails? If you had stated you charge for emails. Then I would have been happy to not write to you. What you said was asking questions would be ok. a lot of that was asking about the system process and what was going on. Which I am entitled to do.

I found a replacement licence for Cpanel in under half an hour. Then I took another ten to make the arrangments. (To your credit you did try to find a company. But it was not two hours. And I can tell you your Cpanel install that you said you did, was not two hours when you contacted me to let me know it was there. From the time you told me that company A had not done the install. I contacted my server company and they gave me a replacement. Less than half an hour. I have your word that you did the Cpanel install. (I am willing to take you at your word with this, because you explained the partions were off etc.

Company A does a full install with cpanel, and they support if for $50.00. No charge for install. You knew this and said you could install it yourself. (Now you want to charge for it. ) Fine that's an incident.

Note the time.

9/30/2002 5:23:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    To: [email protected]

Ok. If you can get it for around $50.00 we are good. If not I will start with webmin and go from there.

Thanks.

9/30/2002 6:10:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    To: [email protected]

It's ok. I have found another company to do it for $50.00

I'm still not sure that you are not a scam artist. You call me a lier but everything I have said, you yourself have verified. I am not sure where you get off calling me a lier? What I have stated is true. (You have even backed it up.)

If you had said you would be charging peice work or by the hour, then I could have gone with other options. You don't get this. My grievence is I paid you for one months worth of service. You are backing out. Fine but then refund the rest of the month. Pro-rate it. But do what you said you would do. We agreed to one thing, and then for no good reason you quit. This is at the heart of my grievence.

You agreed to a month of service. How do you get to quit after five and then you call yourself professional. If your ad said. I do this, this and this. For cost per incident. But your ad says, per month server admin. I do all this and more. You own ad shows you for being dishonest.

If your service is so good. Then live up to it. Flames and attacks. I have called you a scammer, cause someone who does 5 days of work when he's paid for 30 where I'm from is a scammer.

I have not lied. And when I saw your ad today. I really thought you were going to scam someone else. 5 days ago your prices were $75.00 now they are a hundread. I know what you did to me. So when I saw your ad. I assume you are going to scam someone else. From my postion I feel cheated, to sit back and let you do this to someone else would have been wrong. Especially when your email was to just forget it.

People will make up their own minds. But anyone who paid for a service and has not had someone live up to it can understand where I am coming from.

Funny at the end of the day. You have my money. You have worked 5 days. Must be nice. Then you say you are the one getting ripped off. Just live up to what you said you would do, or refund me. I asked for a refund after you clearly said you would not be rendering the services.

I am not sure who you are.

joshp
    WHT Addict

sphere2 you admit that you know nothing about Linux, you have wolfstream working for you, as you keep repeating for 5 days. You pay him $75.

$75 / 5 days = $15 per day.

Hello!! Wake up and smell the roses. You got a damned GOOD deal out of that. Installing and configuring a firewall alone should cost more than that - I don't even get out of bed for less than that. Now, because wolfstream has decided he no longer wishes to have you as a client (and I don't blame him there, you sound like a pain in the butt) you want to deny him the money he's already worked for and earned.

List of people to NEVER deal with: sphere2

List of honest sounding, hard working people to deal with in the future: wolfstream

I am not sure you understand that this is what i paid for. You can sit and say what you want. But the bottom line is this is what I paid for. And if you think a client who asks questions about something they are solely responsible for is a pain in the ass then so be it. He agreed to one months worth of worth. If you think this is fair. What you are saying is that tomorrow he can do this to all his clients. If this is your brand of justice then so be it.

I am standing my ground, and taking care of what I believe is right. If he needs to have friends, clients come and defend unjust actions than so be it. IF you need to list me as someone to not deal with because I have a legitimate grievence then so be it.

All I know is I took the time to try to find someone who would be responsible and not scam me. Someone who takes off after 5 days is a scammer.

Also from what you have said you would justify his actions if he had put in one hour of work if he had managed to do all that in an hours. If he had charged for peice work. I would be fine with this. But he guarenteed a service, which he backed out on. Then took that money. This is the problem. If he wants to live up to what he has said in the beginning then so be.

If I had not asked about what was included. I would not be so angry. But I asked. He said questions were good, and that's how people learn. He said he had no problem with this. None, and now this is the outcome.

You can read the thread. If he had not agreed to XYZ services i would not be so unhappy with this outcome. If he lived up to his word, but his word is no good.

{services provided, included are (but are certainly not limited to):
    -- CPanel administration
    and more)
    -- Misc system administration tasks}
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings,

-- CPanel administration
    and more)

If there are any additional questions I can answer, please, feel free to
    contact me, via email (you have the address), or the following methods:
    ICQ; 153158973
    AIM: twhiting9275
    MSN:[email protected]

Re: In response to wolfstreams post.

Originally posted by sphere2
    Just live up to what you said you would do, or refund me. I asked for a refund after you clearly said you would not be rendering the services.
    (directly from my email)
    I can't exactly offer a money back refund. If you're not happy with something I do, tell me and
    I'll find a way to work it so that you ARE happy with it, if it can be done at all.
    (/email quote)
    I tried for a good couple of days to find a way to work it so that you were happy. In the longrun, it couldn't be done, because you insisted upon taking up the majority of my day with emails and the like.

I never once said emails were NOT considered part of "incidents", I merely said that anything > 15 minutes was considered one. So, responding to an email could, in all likelyhood BE an incident (not that it is usually, but it is).

You did indeed lie to paypal, and tell them merchandise (goods) was not received. This is NOT merchandise, this is SERVICE, something which I can't take back at the end of the day (hence no refunds).

I have lived 100% up to my emails (and then some). I did not agree to hold your hand and teach you how to administrate a server (or even use a server). I DID agree to administrate your server and TRY to help you get the grasp on server administration. Unfortunately, it wasn't untill too late that I realized what a hopeless cause that was, and what a time consuming cause it was.

Service was cancelled, NOT because of anything but of your own attitude. I could not do my job effeciently, so I left the environment. I doubt that 1 single individual that has actually READ this thread disagrees with that decision.

The facts:
    You got a hell of a bargain for a week's system administration. You would have that returned as nothing, no monies no anything, and I don't work like that. Sorry, but you've well used your 30 "incident" quota.

You have insisted that you're right, when there's at LEAST 4 people (one of whom I have never met before) that have backed myself, and said you are wrong. When it comes down to it, the world's wrong and I'm right, right/? Nuhhuh, it's the other way around. You're wrong, and you know it. You paid for 30 incidents, you received 30 incidents (and much much much more).

Any way you slice it or dice it, you will find that you're not in the right here sphere2. All you're doing right now is just digging yourself in deeper and deeper.

Perhaps, yes I may have been wrong in cancelling the monitoring, but when my funds are suddenly in question because of your own actions, you'd better believe that I'm not going to sit and monitor your own servers for free. Besides, I can easily apply the monitoring extras to the time and whatnot I've had to invest since CLOSING
    your account, with the pathetic attempts at wanting monies returned (when services were rendered), with my own interaction with PayPal (this is not something I relish doing, mind you), dealing with your own harassing nature (at least one of your threads have been closed and locked because of the blatant lies and harassment). It all adds up, rather quickly.

The long and short;
    You got what you paid for, and as ditlev and others have said at QUITE a bargain.
    You would have that money returned to you, because you don't think that the service was established.. Trust me, it was, and I did install Cpanel (I have mails proving this fact and WHY cpanel wasn't installed by the first company).

Please, stop crapping on my thread simply because you are so cheap you want everything for nothing.That's what it boils down to. You've received very valid explanations as to why your subscription was cancelled, and others have agreed with me publicly..You, sir, are in the wrong.

I have a customer service staff.

BwBroker
    Junior Guru Wannabe

But I finally wanted my own server. I have enough clients that I wanted to move a few of them over to a new server and see how it goes, with a system admin it should have been fine.

To answer your questions. Yes I am new to linux. I hired a server admin to assist because I am new. I told that server admin I would be asking a lot of questions.

He said that a sit down one on one session would be ok. He said half an hour per day could be spent going over quesitons about the service.

He said this would be included. This was my requriement. If this was not going to be ok, he should have said so. It's not a pattern or anything. This was what I clearly started to him.

When he quit yesterday. And said he was keeping the money and to just forget about it, what else could i think? Scam!

To me professional would have been. I can't live up to what i said. I can monitor the server, but I can't answer the questions.

To me when i asked questions and he would not answer them, it made me think something might be off. This was my concern.

This is the bottom line for me. I hired him because of his word.
    this is what he agreed to. (Listed below.) The same thing he agreed to, the reason I hired him. He quit for the same reasons. Cause I dared to ask questions to which he agreed. If it was going to be a problem, he should have said. I monitor, but i don't allow questions. I would then have made other arrangments.

If Tom is honest then he should live up to what he said. I am happy to pay, but I want the service he agreed to.

That is what is at the heart and soul of this. IF someone charges $250 for Cpanel and another charges $50 they can't just say oh check around other charge more. The reason people use or go with a service to begin with is because of getting good value for a great price.

I don't feel this was the case. If he wanted to work out arrangments fine, but he quit, and when I wanted to talk about it, it was just forget. (That's what seemed like being scamed.)

Anyways paypal is going to look into this. If he wins he wins. But I still think he did something wrong. If he's done a good job on your servers for a long period of time without taking your money, then so be it.

You at least have worked with Tom and I can see the relavance of your post.

> If you have the logs sent to me and you, they will be not very useful to me
    > at first, but later on with some tips and tutoring, I will understand what
    > they mean.

That I can do, however they are quite "spammy", as I check them every half
    hour.

> Ok. I think that was all the questions i had so far. As long as you
    > understand that I really like fast response times. (Which have been just
    > fine so far.)

The only hours you're guaranteed NOT to get a response from me are 12m -
    3/330a CST, as i work part time for the city during these hours, though that
    is looking to draw to a close shortly

>I ask a lot of questions. (That's how I learn. I will often
    > ask the same thing twice to make sure it was clear and that there were no
    > misinterpretations.) This is a first server so there will be more
    > questions, but I am happy to learn.

Questions are fine, that is how people learn. I am a self taught professional
    (been using linux for almost 5, 6 years now), so I understand completely that
    questions are the best way to do it.

Reminded of a time

As there has been way too much name calling in this thread, all over $75, when it is clear some services were performed and then the client was terminated-either for cause or not.

Years ago I owned a boat dealership. My head mechanic wasn't perhaps the best with customers, but one time someone brought in an outboard motor to be rebuilt. He asked what it would cost-my mechanic said $300. He asked, what if he helped. Without hesitation, my mechanic said $600.

Pay pal.

I really want to be clear. I did not lie to paypal. I did not get merchandise from you because it's not merchandise. I never told them it was. I will find the email if I can, and post it if i have to.
    If there is some confusion their their should not be. I told them servcie not rendered.

If you have recieved anything else I will look into it. I will win for services not rendered or not at all. I don't have to lie to them because what you have said here backs up the 5 days rendered.

You have two clents. One who has worked with you for 6 days. They only said that your service was good and that they would recommend you. That's fine.

The other person I don't know. He might be a stranger who just took the time to post. That's fine. He's the one who thinks I'm in the wrong.

Since he's is stating an opion and does not have his money taken then so be it.

[I never once said emails were NOT considered part of "incidents", I merely said that anything > 15 minutes was considered one. So, responding to an email could, in all likelyhood BE an incident (not that it is usually, but it is). ]
    Please advise your future clients of this so that they will know what they are getting into. Since you said questions are fine, knowing you could potentially count them as incidents how honest is that?

I feel you were wrong in cancelling after 5 days. And yes I also feel that the monitoring was wrong. I don't want someone to do work and not get paid. But from my end I don't want to pay for something and not get full value.

Everyone can start an opion. You agreed to one thing. You said questions would be ok. Even after you still said hey we can go over this stuff.

If you had done the right thing and said. Look sorry but I can do the monitoring thing and not questions. I even sent you an email saying forget the questions that might be out of your system admin duties.

My thread according to the admins was moved because of this reason below and nothing else. You can try to call me a lier and tarnish my rep. But I paid for one thing and you backed out.

{Please post in one place or another. A thread asking members to look at another thread is prety pointless (and this has been removed). Your comments have been recorded in the actual thread.}

Like i said with Cpanel I am taking you at your word. (Considering all that 's gone. That's a big stretch.)

Re: I am not sure who you are.

Originally posted by sphere2 You can read the thread. If he had not agreed to XYZ services i would not be so unhappy with this outcome. If he lived up to his word, but his word is no good.

{services provided, included are (but are certainly not limited to):
    -- CPanel administration
    and more)
    -- Misc system administration tasks}

Greetings,

-- CPanel administration
    and more)
    Well, I'm very pleased you know how to copy and paste, now, why don't you sit back and actually *read* what he said in his post.

$75 per month for *30 incidents*

He even defined an incident:

Incidents are defined as something that takes more than 15
    minutes to handle (most don't take more than 15 minutes at the most).
    Now, how many did he handle in that first 5 days? If he did handle 30 incidents, then you're contract is up and he lived up to his end of it.

FYI I am not a friend of his, in fact I've never heard of him before. I just don't like people who cry *I've been scammed* when in fact, from everything *you* have said in *your posts* in this thread, you appear to be the one doing the scamming.

You then expect him to continue to provide you with a service after you've started a chargeback proceedure against him.

Any reasonable person who reads this thread will know who the true scammer is! If I were in wolfstreams shoes, I'd be taking small claims action against you for not only commiting an act of fraud by what you've just done (receiving a service and claiming that you haven't) but for damages as well.

You're new to Linux, you admit that. You should have bought a book, or better still searched Google for general questions. Then and only then should you be asking an administrator questions. Their job is to administer servers, not babysit newbies.

------------
    wolfstream, I'd ask the mods to close this thread before it gets out of hand. sphere2 is obviously quite new to the whole thing and is quite clearly unreasonable. Oh and I've bookmarked you in case I need a professional administrator down the track
    Josh Powell.

Thanks I like the analogy.

Incognito
    Web Hosting Master

____________________________________________________First time I have laughed today. I see what you mean.

To me it's about honour (Oh the money too.) But I had a choice of 3 services all for the same price. The other companies might well have done the same work, and not quit. I went with tom because after emailing him a few times, he seemed like an ok person. And he said. I don't do the money back. But i do make sure the client is satisfied.

(Had I spoken to his references this would still be the same thing. )

When he quit the service and I tried to talk about it, he wanted me to drop it. I thought scam. When I saw him post today I thought he's going to do this to someone else.

I was happy that the long time cleint of Tom posted. I feel better because maybe he's not a scam artist. But the fact that he quit still makes me think he's not professional. Then to try to charge for emails well that's just wrong, when you said questions were ok.

From Tom's point of view he wants to do the system stuff. From my point of view the only way to know if the system stuff is being done ok is to ask questions.

You made a really valid point with the anology. I see where he was feeling crunched, but then why say he would answer my questions? I don't want to do his admin duties. But I need to know what's being done and what's going on.

To put a complete stranger on the box was one thing. To sit back and ask no questions is another thing.

I am angry cause he did not do what he said. (His word was what I went with.) But now he's trying to make me look dishonest. (The paypal thing) Then calling me cheap, hopeless.

I paid for a services. If being upset for not getting the service is wrong, then like the song says, I don't want to be right. The way he did it, was not professsioal. If nothing else this was what i paid for. But in full what I paid for was 30 days. I don't want him to work for nothing. I have put time in and so has he. But i don't feel justified paying him the $85.00 for quitting. At the same time I think he did do work, but I will not pay full price for someone who would do this. (Take my money and quit.) I can not sanction this.

So I guess paypal will decide this. I am going to double check on my email from paypal. He's said I lied to them, i told them what he himself has said here. Full service not rendered 5 days worked. I paid for 30 days.

Re: Pay pal.

Originally posted by sphere2
    I really want to be clear. I did not lie to paypal. I did not get merchandise from you because it's not merchandise. I never told them it was. I will find the email if I can, and post it if i have to.
    If there is some confusion their their should not be. I told them servcie not rendered.
    --
    I did you a courtesy not posting the whole email here, or the details of said here,because what followed was private, personal information
    --

You have two clents. One who has worked with you for 6 days.
    -----
    Nope, I have more, I have a few more actually. The time with the individual means nothing at all. The service with the individual means everything.
    -----
    The other person I don't know. He might be a stranger who just took the time to post. That's fine. He's the one who thinks I'm in the wrong.
    -----
    Everyone has stated you're wrong here (including myself)
    ---

Since he's is stating an opion and does not have his money taken then so be it.
    --
    nobody's money was taken or scammed, except mine if you have your way.
    --
    Re; the whole email thing, an incident was clearly explained: ANYTHING that takes > 15 minutes for me to deal with. I didn't specifically state one thing. Usually, emails don't take me that long to deal with, but in your case, they did.
    ---

Like i said with Cpanel I am taking you at your word. (Considering all that 's gone. That's a big stretch.)
    ---
    You didn't have to take me at my word, i told youhow to find out for yourself (the /scripts and /usr/local/cpanel directories didn't even exist)
    ---
    Nothing's all "gone", you still have cpanel on your server, in fact, you still have everything I installed on your server.

You're right, everyone can post an opinion, and, some don't realize when that opinion is wrong (in this case your opinion is clearly so). The problem is your opinion was flamatory and made baseless accusations: 'this guy will rip you off, this guy will scam you', and that in and of itself is (as another user suggested) enough to take you to court over, because I DO have logs to prove that I did the work, that I WaS on your machine and DID respond in a timely fashion to each and every call and email (all in < 12 hours).

Your opinion in this matter is that you have been wronged. Others have proven that you have NOT been wronged (using your own posts, emails and logic). Please just give this thread a rest. Nobody, in their right mind would fault me for not wanting to renew this contract with you, nobody.

It's not about honor, Sphere2, it's about getting something for nothing. Your attitude was what got this thrown in your face in the first place. You would have the best for the cheapest, or no money paid for work done. I don't play that way, period.. I put in quality time on a server, as my clients have testified to, I am a professional, whether you agree to that or not.

No, you're right, I don't appreciate being harassed, constantly having to deal with an email from a client (one single client) every hour or thereabout. Not for the money you paid for services.

You got what you paid for, now you would have more. I can see you wanting more, but reality (and professionalism) say that's not going to happen. I'm sorry.

I don't know who you are.

joshp
    WHT Addict

But I can see Tom posting here. His clients. Even the helpful stranger with the humourous anolgy. They have at least made me think he might not be a complete scammer.

In response to your post. If Tom had stated that emailing would be defined as an incident. Then I clearly would not have hired Tom. He said questions would be ok.

I have been to several unix boards. Several forums. I have read and tried to graps a lot. Even tried to go over some of the basic unix codes. (I am still green.) I admit that. I never said anything else. I came to this forum admitting that i was fully new.

I tried to work it out with the merchant (System Admin). He said consider the services covered and don't email him. If I had tried to charge back before he quit then I would not blame him. (He quit fully stating he was not doing anything else.) Not even the monitoring. He gave me no way to contact him to keep the lines of communication opened. So the only way to get my money for services not done was to contact paypal.

I am not sure how you are able to justify this. But you call me a scammer. I took the time to hire someone who was suppose to be professional. Someone who I asked if questions would be ok.

Someone who said yes. Not only will that be ok. But we could take a half an hour everyday and go email back and forth if I wanted that would be fine. Then he quits for the same thing he agreed would be ok. (Principles and professionalism.) But mostly when he did this and gave me no way to reach him at his request I felt he had intentionally scammed me.

Any reasonable person who reads this thread will know who the true scammer is! If I were in wolfstreams shoes, I'd be taking small claims action against you for not only commiting an act of fraud by what you've just done (receiving a service and claiming that you haven't) but for damages as well.
    Yeah I rather like logic. He should take me to court. Well by your logic. I am going to offer 30 days worth of hosting for $1. and offer 5Gb space and 200GB bandwidth. (This is not a real offer in anyway) But I will quit or kick the client out after 5 days, because I feel they got more than what they paid for.

And when they file a compliant. I expect you to be my cheering section.

It's the honour of the thing. I only had to file with paypal. Cause after unprofessionally walking out, he would not even give me a proper avenue to discuss this.

sphere2 - Do you really think you paid $75.00 for 30 day's, you paid for 30 incidents. Which from the posts so far you have received and then some. Do the math, 24 x 30 = 720 hours, that's just over .10 cents an hour. Get real, buy a linux book and grow up.

wolfstream - If you have any experience with RAQ3, please contact me at:

[email protected]

I have a problem you may be able to solve. Thanks

Thanks for your opinion.

ferenczy
    Total Newbie

____________________________________________________Yes because if he had said emails would be incidents then that would be differnt. I would not have racked up 30 incidents otherwise. But to get out of this, in my case he is counting the emils as incidents and justifying it.

I do not want Tom work and not get paid. But the way he quit was wrong. If he had said emails would be incidents then that would be fine. (What he has said was sure ask questions.) If he was going to turn that into incidents. I would have gone with a different service.

I really did feel scammed, and when I saw the post, I figured he would do this to someone else. I jumped in to warn people.

I have said it before. He agreed to one thing and did not live up to that.

Your advise for the book is appriciated, (Telling me to grow up is not.) Fully grown. I expected one service and i just do not feel he lived up to it. The monitoring which he walked out on before I went to paypal. Or the server incident clause.

He did work fine, but I am not paying for what was not fulfilled, because I could well have gone with someone else for the same service.

I still feel that he said one thing but did not follow through. Like I said before I spoke to his two clients who were kind enough to post here. I thought he was going to take someone else's money and do this.

He might not be a scammer. But I still don't think it was professional.

Tom if you really are not a scammer or a con artist, then yeah I'm sorry. But when you quit and then tried to get this buried. I really felt you had scammed me. Then I was not going to let you do this again to some other new person.

Talking to you long term client I feel a lot better. I am more inclined to believe that you are not a rip off artist. But then professional what you did was wrong in my opinion.

because I could well have gone with someone else for the same service.
    Please, enlighten us all. Who would offer you what you're asking for, *unlimited 24/7 support for 30 days* for $75???

That's what you seem to have expected, so, post a request in the appropriate forum for that and see how many offers you get!
    Josh Powell.

Re: highly skilled administrator looking for work

Originally posted by wolfstream
    I'm not looking to make a killing, or to take all your profits, in fact you'll find my prices are more than reasonable (< $100 a month or $25 per incident).
    I'm going to stick my nose in here because this part is a little silly and I see where Sphere is coming from.

I didn't bother reading the majority of the posts because they're quoted in such wierd ways I can't tell who said what and I don't have time to decipher it all, so if what I say has already been said or something, I apologize.

$100 for 30 incidents lasting over 15 minutes (does 2 hours count?) in a single month?! Did someone fail math or economics in school?

So, sphere signs up, gets all this wonderful stuff installed (nine incidents, from your second post to this thread) and then you decide you've had enough and decide to renig on your contract? On top of it, now you're charging him for the time to write an email? If emails were part of the agreement, then that's fine, but sphere didn't seem to think it was.

So let's look at it from my point of view. If I am on the hunt for a part-time/per-incident admin, I would come across this post and say "holy cow, $25 per incident?!" Heck, a hundred clams for 30 incidents! That's the same as getting 26 for free!! If I paid money to you, I'm going to hold you to our agreement, whether you think it's unfair or not. It's like me going to a host offering 60GB of bw for $5 a month, using 20GB, and getting cut off because I was using too much. Hell, $5 for 20GB, that's a hell of a deal, right? It sure is, but that's not what I paid for. I _specifically_ paid for 60GB. That's grounds for me getting my money back as I feel scammed.

Also, the emails I read from you to sphere sound incredibly UNprofessional. I mean, look at this one!!
    On Saturday 05 October 2002 02:31 pm, you wrote:
    > I realise you need to have the emails come to you for your system
    > admin duties.
    >
    > I would appreciate changes like that to be forwarded to me in future.
    >
    > But I also want to have any system issues forwarded to me.
    >
    > I have created an email that will forward to your email and well as my
    > email.
    >
    > Please confirm that you have received this email.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > GmB
    Ugh,
    First off you have no idea what these mails mean, how to fix the problems or
    anything of the like.

Once again, step away from the system administrative position and let the
    professional handle this. You can't even handle linux itself, this is clearly
    seen.

I'm not going to argue with you about this. It's that simple. If you can't
    leave me the leeway to do my job, you will find yourself in a load of hot
    water really fast.

You MAY be a great admin (web wise), but when it comes to Linux youknow
    NOTHING about diagnosing problems an trying to fix them.

I'm NOT going to ask for your approval on things that don't even relate to you
    (I am a skilled system administrator, you aren't even a linux user) when you
    can do nothing but damage with them.
    How can you talk to a customer like that?!!? It doesn't matter if they aren't as smart as you, are complaining about your service, or are rude themselves!! How on earth can you justify talking to a customer like that?! If one of my vendors/providers talk to me like that, I'd raise hell with them. That's highly unprofessional. You may know your way around unix, but it sounds to me like you need to work heavily on your people skills.

Maybe if you increased your prices and actually lived up to your agreement, people wouldn't act the way sphere did. I wouldn't hire you to reboot my server on a payment schedule like yours, simply because if you don't feel you need to charge enough for your services, I feel you don't have the confidence and without that, I've got a useless admin on my hands.

I get the feeling you got in over your head with Sphere, even after you agreed to help him and answer his questions, and decided to bail out. While that's bad in itself, making this post and offering what seems to be the same service is even worse.

Work on your people skills and honor your agreements and then I'll start to consider you as a professional. Otherwise, you just seem like a kid trying to make a quick buck.

I probably had more points to cover, but I forgot them by now...

i don't usually get involved in things like this, but it sounds in this case that there are two "innocent" parties.. if i can step up to the soap box for a bit, perhaps it's time to take a step back and see what both of you can learn.

wolfstream, it sounds like you may provide a pretty good service... the "problem" here seems to be a lack of communication (ie, sphere2 felt asking questions was okay, but doesn't seem to understand where questions become "teach me". it sounds like wolfstream, you "may" not have adequately explained the difference (and it definitely is a fine line!) i'm sure anyone in tech support can relate to the occasional users who feels full on training is included in the cost of a service... perhaps, in the future, if you could provide a document outlining this sort of distinction it may help out a bit? also, your prices do seem kinda low, don't want to come off as telling you how to run your business but i'd be you'd do equally as well, if not better, if you doubled your rates! in fact, if you could PM me your resume i'd be happy to keep it on hand, if that's okay with you?

sphere2, i understand where the confusion may have come from, and partly understand your frustration. i think perhaps it would be good to count this as a learning experience, i know it may feel like you're getting the short end of the stick here, but in reality, the services provided for $75 is a beyond excellent deal. i think it's fair to ask to be updated as to work, etc.. however questions to have a habit of becoming "give me free advice" which is a hard subject for any service provider to tactfully get around (ie, try getting free advice from any lawyers, accountants, doctors, etc...)

<sappy ending>i hope you guys can resolve this, because sphere2, if you can get over this, and wolfstream, if you can provide a distinction, i wouldn't be suprised to see you guys working together again... </sappy ending>

joshp
    WHT Addict

ikiwi.net (I hope you guys don't mind me posting your ad info.)

With our managed services we do a number of things. We will do server updated, security fixes, and install new software. We like to be on your box throughout the day to make sure everything is running without a hitch and it also lets us to respond to problems much faster if we are on your server. We also setup scripts so that if anything goes down and I'm not on the computer it will give me a phone call so I can be on your box within minutes. We also give you my icq, aim, msn, and cell phone # incase you have any questions. We also do some tech support situations, i.e. you go on vacation and you need someone to answer support tickets, we will help you out there. If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

I would have to look around the forums for the specific offer. But these were the three I considered. And if I recall correctly the service and the price were around the same.

I have to that end found 2 places that will give you Cpanel for $50.00 per month.

And I have found three admins for around the same.

There was also a forth offer for a shared space for $89.00 managed $200Gb bandwith 60 drive and so forth.

The reason I did not go for fully managed, was as I explained to Tom a couple of times, because i wanted to help out as much as I could.

The to do list he sent me the first day. I was really happy. Tried to do all the things on the to do list. Because as I told him. I really didn't want someone doing all the work and me sitting back and doing nothing, not getting involved.

I had other offers. And maybe they would have worked out better. Because this did not.

Of course I'm not a scammer. Again, you are the one who would scam me from my monies. I worked (30 incidents+) for this. You've not only filed (fraudulently) with paypal, you bring this to my place of business, claiming I have scammed you, that I have ripped you off.

I never said email was NOT an incident, in fact I specifically stated (and I quote, AGAIN):

Incidents are defined as something that takes more than 15 minutes to handle (most don't take more than 15 minutes at the most)

Do I deal with 30 emails in a month from an individual client? Probably not (though in some I do). Do I usually charge them for them? No, because most clients realize my time is precious and don't disturb me unless needed. Do I usually charge for emails? No. Do I usually get 30 emails in 3 days from clients? No!
    One can not anticipate these things, and even at that (without the emails), you got a bargain, quite so for the installation, etc...

Can this whole thing be resolved? I'd hope so, but I won't get back into the arrangement again, because it's more demanding than can be imagined. I understand you want to "learn" about things, but you need to not interfere with system admin stuff (as I explained in email as well), and let the professional do his/her job. You won't let that happen.

Most individuals are smart enough to realize a bargain when they see it. In my case, services are quite rendered at quite a bargain. You received more than anything, service, from me. You received more service from me than I give most, you received more contact from me than I would give most in a week (daily communication, how do you do this, how do you do that, etc). Administration is one thing, but I have a business to run (a professional one), and never once agreed to spend all day holding your hand, explaining these things to you. Yes, I said anhour a day (something I should have never agreed to), at a specified time, yet, you popped in with this or that all day long, and, I found it more than deterring from my work.

I love the work I do (I've been working with computers for 20+ years, believe it or not), and would hardly be even remotely familliar with things in this field if I didn't. To see myself insulted and accused of scamming someone, it's just wrong, out and out wrong.

Yes, I do work for cheap, not because I am not talented, but because I know my stuff, and I feel that there's no need for OVER charging someone for something they didn't receive. had you not received something, I would have refunded things. However, in this case you haven't. In this case, you've MORE than exceeded things, and I'm sorry to say that.

I did (and do) recommend you buy a book or two on Linux usage and system administration, because this is the best way to learn (it's how I learned actually), and believe me you won't learn overnight.

The problem you have Sphere2 is that you want to know everything, and you want to continuously be informed about that which you know nothing about, as explained in emails. I don't have the time to be constantly chasing down and writing emails (that's not what I get paid for, I get paid to administrate a system, to ensure it's safe and secure, and up to date), and I did say that at the beginning.

Unfortunately, as has been said here, you got a bargain for your $$$, seriously. I've said it, others have said it. What you did with that bargain is choose to insult me publically, and crap on my thread (not a good choice).

Thank you for understanding.

allera
    Web Hosting Master

To me doing that just left the mark of a scammer. The other thing was he started off as being really polite and professional.

Then when I asked questions well yeah the emails were rude.

But then after he quit. I really felt that he had just taken my money. There was still monitoring which I don't get now and there is no way we covered 30 incidents. I think I still have the email where he said he would let me ask questions and we would set a time in the evening.

So this is what I was expecting. If I just wanted someone on my box doing their own thing. I would have gone with offer number one. But I really didn't want to be cut out of my box and what was happening. He said I could not learn over night, but he would be happy to show me.

I will try to find the email. When he quit the way it was done. I really thought scam. And to see him up the price today and then I just thought he would pull in another newbie.

But I when his long time client spoke up, I think ok. Maybe he's not scamming, but till then I really thought he had scammed me.

Thanks for understanding because now the box is just their. I finally got to the stage where I wanted to move everything to a single box. Like I said hosting yes and selling, customer service I am thier. Linux I'm new.

The forums here and else where have been really helpful. I am learning as much as I can.

I thought a box that was fully loaded with Cpanel would give a system admin very little work. And then I could do some of the duties too. So he would have very little to do.

I even asked if he liked webmin or Cpanel.

I think I agree with the other poster. I am trying to step back and see this from both points of view.

But I really appriciated you taking the time to post.

i am a
    WHT Addict

IF he had answered them in a decent manner, my confidence and trust would have grown. Instead his answers were rude, and let me thinking a) He either is not doing the job. B) Or he doesn't know what he's doing.

He is a complete stranger who I took a chance on. If the emails had been answered in a decent manner and not look your in over your head. I'm the professional here.

You don't know anything about linux. (True) But not a reason for not answering my questions.

Like he said in the beginning. How else do we learn but by asking?

I think I like your advise, and I think you had some really valid points.

<sappy ending>i hope you guys can resolve this, because sphere2, if you can get over this, and wolfstream, if you can provide a distinction, i wouldn't be suprised to see you guys working together again... </sappy ending>

Now that I think he maybe is not a bad person. I am going to review everything. There is no way 30 incidents were incured. But he did do work. And to not get paid for that, does not feel good to me. But I am a hell of a long way from feeling the full $85.00 is worth the rudeness, the walking out and the lack of monitoring which were paid extra for. Plus he said questions were ok.

I am going to step away from this and try to find an equatable solution. I don't think what he did was fair. But I don't want to not pay for the work that was done. (Now that I think he's not a scammer) He give 30 incidents for $75.00 I will ask for specific system stuff that was done. Then decide from there.

Thanks for the advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast