Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by rusko
    nice setup. i think i should post some pics of my home lan (i dont use it to host anything btw) it consists of a dual sparc 10 im using as a router, an aix box, an hpux box with a 21" (drool baby drool) bnc monitor and a couple linux and fbsd boxen.

props on the work you put into maintaining your servers - well kept boxen on sdsl are imho better for low bandwidth sites than anything anywhere where the administration is non-existent (most hosting companies).

try to get some money together and get a colo cage - you already have a server to put there =]

good luck,
    paul
    Cool, thanks for the props ... yeah ... the sites that I host are pretty low bandwidth sites ... so even if like 30 people are loading them at the same time ... that is just maxing out my connection. I need more customers before I can colo. I really want to, but until I have enough money coming in to make it worth the money ... I can't.

hey, I was just wondering why you don't just colo that beast. Im sure, for $300 a month, you could get a 10 megabit cogent line with some colocation company.
    Last edited by dbbrock1; 10-06-2002 at 09:31 PM.
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.

Running a web host litterally out of your house is not practical and makes no sense. You can lease a server for dirt cheap, or join a good reselling program - even cheaper. Bandwidth is the key, and your house is not the cheapest solution...
    Joe - HostingWave.Com / TXINSURANCE.COM
    http://www.hostingwave.com
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Smoking Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy.

Why is age such an issue? I cannot understand this? Maybe i'm missing something because many times 30 year old's are worse than 18 year olds!!

Originally posted by intraweb
    Running a web host litterally out of your house is not practical and makes no sense. You can lease a server for dirt cheap, or join a good reselling program - even cheaper. Bandwidth is the key, and your house is not the cheapest solution...
    Well I would like to continue doing it (when I get a nice speedy stable connection) so I can have the "Metal" nearby. I LIKE playing with networks and dealing with the hardware and the software and all that.

Yea, I will pay more (probably a LOT more) than someone who just co-locates. But having the server under MY control would be nice, and (frankly) I don't care to be anything like the people who think that they can just "rent a server" and advertise and make cash, without the ability to do more than play with a control panel, and end up being screwed once there are problems they dont have the knowledge to fix.

I run my hosting company out of my house, but I lease my servers from a larger company and they are located in a datacenter far away from me.

Though I see it as a very large hassle to attempt to run a hosting company from home if I had the equipment to do that I most certainly wouldn't want to. Besides not having the room to do it, the cost would likely be prohibitive.

I do give godsmoke props he seems to be doing an outstanding job, and I wish you good luck. Anybody who works that hard deserves some props.
    David White
    Owner/Operator
    http://www.liftnw8.com
    Is Your Host Weak?

I run a successful hosting company on my 56kbps connection. I provide no backups whatsoever and offer no firewalls. Hey, what fun is life if you don't take chances right?

Originally posted by Skeptical
    I run a successful hosting company on my 56kbps connection. I provide no backups whatsoever and offer no firewalls. Hey, what fun is life if you don't take chances right?
    Who mentioned anything about using 56K ?

Lets be honest here....

The only things that can't be done to a home to turn it into a datacenter relatively cheaply are 1) The 24/7 presence of armed guards, which basically turn out to be window dressing anyways. Unless you are a criminal and the FBI/CIA/etc comes to your door with a warrant, the idea that your systems will come under PHYSICAL attack comes with pretty low odds.

Server rooms can be placed in (cleaned, finished) basements, or secured, air conditioned, power backed up rooms.

(heck a 1 hour UPS per server, which are $100 a piece, and a small generator that costs like 400 or so should cover power needs.)

Firewalls ? That barely even comes into consideration. a nice hardware firewall is a few hundred. A dedicated firewall machine can be relatively cheap too. (and that doesnt even consider the routers with firewalls built in, which, granted arent the best, but provide some protection.

Backups ? There are ways to do a daily backup.

I get the impression there are some people on WHT who have nothing better to do than run around and harrass people(which is useless) , rather than have intelligent discussion and debate (which can be very productive).

56k? Whoa. That's just...... "ghetto" ?

I would say though that if I had the room and the patience to set it up I would run it out of my home. This way my equipment would be mine and would be right their to see.

In the future I do intend on setting up a small datacenter for my company, hell it might wind up being in my basement, who knows.

If it works and does the job doesn't matter where it is at, just so long as it all works and your customers are all happy.
    David White
    Owner/Operator
    Is Your Host Weak?

David --
    That's too true... but where you going to have the parties after

Didn't think if that Guess I will just have to buy a really big house
    David White
    Owner/Operator
    Is Your Host Weak?

Although I would never have my sites hosted through a home connection, I'm impressed and commend you for having soemthign like that running in your own home. I would love to have the know how to set up such things in my own home. Congratulations.

-ryan

Well having your servers based in your home doesnt necessarily mean you have a "home connection".

Very few telco's CARE what address they install a T1, etc on as long as they get paid every month.

This is how his house must look like:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/attac...=&postid=577866

I am still laughing over this pic! Thanks!
    "The good thing about money, is you can always make more"

Originally posted by greatbeast

Firewalls ? That barely even comes into consideration. a nice hardware firewall is a few hundred. A dedicated firewall machine can be relatively cheap too. (and that doesnt even consider the routers with firewalls built in, which, granted arent the best, but provide some protection.
    What kind of quality hardware firewall can you get for a few hundred dollars? I'm not trying to be critical, I really want to know for my own information. Most hardware firewalls I have found that I would even consider putting into a web hosting situation have been in the mid thousands pricewise.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Hi, I know that you're looking for a hardware-based solution. But if you're looking to go cheap I recomend that you use a computer... maybe a P2 or something ... it doesn't have to be fancy. Install some small, secure OS (OpenBSD is great) ... with two network cards ... and you're good to go.

Yeah ... if you want a professional built in hardware solution ... you're going to have to spend thousands for anything decent.

I don't want cheap. I want affordable, effective, and reliable. Most of all, I want to know all of the options available to me before I purchase. I have never run across a decent hardware firewall costing just a few hundred dollars, but apparently greatsmoke has ...?
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.

While we dont have our own DC, its only 10-15 minutes away. So if anything does go wrong we can get there. When you run it out of your house (im talking about the servers, not the support/sales etc) - you cant match a dc - you wont be able to get the powerfull lines you get (with bgp redundancies) and 24/7 armed guards, climate controlled area. Fine, mabey you can fix the environment and get 24/7 armed guards, but when you are buying your own bandwdith (and not cogent, we're talkign reliable bw) into your house, a t1 limits your growth and uptime - i guess the idea (in my eyes) is buy a rack someplace close by and run sales/support from home/office
    Avi B

Umm ... the idea of putting the server in a DC would be great ... but I live in Manhattan, the cheapest DCs are like 2 hours away ... and not even cheap. The only DCs that are close are VERY expensive ... it isn't an option.

godsmoke,

Much props to you once again..

I've tried running a hosting business from my home, but found it cheaper, and less nerve-wrecking just to get more bandwidth and rackspace in the datacenter I already had a presence in.

Good luck to you and your hosting business.
    Devon Dunham (Owner, Sharpnet/DDoS Host)
    Advanced DDoS Mitigation and Server Management Solutions

Protecting your online infrastructure.

Est. 1998.

Originally posted by Jay Suds
    ... but apparently greatsmoke has ...?
    LOL. Jay that would be greatbeast. 'Course I suppose it could be greatsmoke, too

LOL - What do I know Apparently I can't read, write, or think tonight.

I'm doing well, doing very well

Originally posted by Jay Suds
    I don't want cheap. I want affordable, effective, and reliable. Most of all, I want to know all of the options available to me before I purchase. I have never run across a decent hardware firewall costing just a few hundred dollars, but apparently greatsmoke has ...?
    Thats "greatbeast" not Greatsmoke.

(We aren't remotely even the same person.)

Granted I havent really LOOKED into hardware firewalls or studied them enough to know what is great and what isnt, but Ive seen firewall hardware for $500-$1000 on ebay (granted, possibly not the best source for product) --maybe a sonicwall isnt top of the heap, but it certainly isnt a "freebee" firewall built into a SOHO router.

Originally posted by godsmoke
    Umm ... the idea of putting the server in a DC would be great ... but I live in Manhattan, the cheapest DCs are like 2 hours away ... and not even cheap. The only DCs that are close are VERY expensive ... it isn't an option.
    I live on 232nd street, how close are you to the GWB?
    Avi B

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast