Thread: openin a web

openin a web

can anybody help me??
    theres a lot of things im considering to put in a web page i wanna open but if ever i placed a webcomic do i need to register it or something to make it legal coz i was hopin i could make money out of advertisers to finance my web and what are the other things i should consider.

BTW am i in the right place to ask this questions, is there any other place i should go

Did you create these comics?

Good day
    DaZ

If they were created by someone else you should get written permission 1st.

Even if it is non-profit or for profit via way of advertising, you would still need to get the author's permissions to use their images or comics because they are properly copyright properties of the author.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Re: openin a web

Originally posted by lord_romel
    can anybody help me??
    theres a lot of things im considering to put in a web page i wanna open but if ever i placed a webcomic do i need to register it or something to make it legal coz i was hopin i could make money out of advertisers to finance my web and what are the other things i should consider.

BTW am i in the right place to ask this questions, is there any other place i should go
    Your language is hard to understand. I'm not sure if we fully understand what you are asking. I am guessing that possibly English is not your first language....or that you are simply Very Bad at using English.

(Please try using complete sentences, instead of "run on" sentences to make yourself more clear. Punctuation always helps too.)

IF the comic is your own creation--
    According to the law, the minute you create something, you invariably have copyright on it, unless you decide it is "public domain" property and anyone can do anything with it.

HOWEVER--the problem with that is--UNLESS there is documented PROOF of your having registered your creation, the you will have a hard time fighting anyone in court who tries to steal your creation.
    If this is the case, and you are in the USA, then check the website for the Library of Congress for current fees and methods of registration.

If the comic is NOT your creation, first ask the creator of the comic for permission.

actually i am the one whos creatin it so i have the hard copy, does that mean i have the copyright even if i didnt register

Posted from the UK you have automatic copyright protection, though posted from the USA you may need to send a copy first to the Library of Congress to help affirm your copyright.

Other countries - not sure. Try searching on www.google.com for info specific for your country, if not UK or USA.

A word of warning, though - plagiarism is a fact of life on the internet. DO ensure that you have hard copies of your work, preferrably dated externally - such as through recorded mailing - to help prove your claim in the effect of court proceedings.

If you are offering images you could always have them Watermarked to help your claim - sorry - you'll have to do a search for that info - recommend Google again. If using text, you'll want to look at using .pdf files, which cannot normally be copied/pasted.

Copyright is usually something that does not usually require registration, but is automatically applied. Where doubt exists, or copyright is contested, it's for a national courts to ascertain likely ownership.

Brian

Originally posted by lord_romel
    actually i am the one whos creatin it so i have the hard copy, does that mean i have the copyright even if i didnt register
    The second you create something you automatically have copyrights on it.

HOWEVER, the reason for registration is so you can have a MUCH easier time DEFENDING your copyrights IF someone decides to claim the work as theirs.

(The old saw of "Mailing yourself a copy" according to lawyers doesnt work so well in court however. That is why the Library of Congress exists, and the courts in the US --according to what I have researched---don't LIKE to see people trying to circumvent the procedures they have put in place with ones of their own creation.)