My Senior Project Proposal To Professor - Choosing CMS , need ideas please

Hello everyone,

First of all thanks to all the people who replied to my earlier post where I wanted ideas on various topics to choose from in order to do my senior project at school. I want to do something that is in demand now and should be for some time in the near future. Since I am taking my database class too (very good one) , I decided to choose the other Professor who teachers web programming at our school (he got PhD. from Carnegie Mellon).

Looking at some other places online, Content Management System seemed to be something in demand (Thanks to akash who also came up with this suggestion).

On Monday I will be proposing this to my Professor (hope he agrees). Please let me know what should I have in my proposal, as in the features of CMS. I will surely try installing and seeing postnuke, xoops and other CMS before writing proposal but some original ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks again ( I'll keep you guys updated)

AD.

Thanks to akash who also came up with this suggestion).
    that's me!!!

some features i've always wanted to see:
    integrated webmail (phpnuke i think has it, but i've heard it doesn't work)

Well I believe you need to have more than just raw html inserts on the front end design. I've been looking at Editize from sitepoint.com and it looks amazing. I'd definately include that in your system!

Originally posted by akash

that's me!!!

Well if he wants a CMS and not a portal system, webmail prolly wouldn't be something to addin...

CMS, Content Manament Systems, generally control the content of the site, information, images, layout, etc... Not provide other functions and features on the site.. A good CMS will never be seen by the end user...

Ok, done with that rant

How about some features...

Hmm...

Replacements.. Kinda like what vBulletin does, just a little more advanced...

{siteName} in the page would be replaced with the site's name...
    {template-index}, {template-about}, etc, would retrive another template from the database inside the orginal template, could be useful for menus and content that is redundant thoughout the site..

Maybe a feature for style sets, have one site with the main content, but the style be dynamic, and could be changed on the fly at the users choice...

Of course most of this stuff would have to be optional, not all sites might want to use it, and just want a basic system...

A multiple user interface, with ACL type system, its always nice to have a login for another user that you just to maintain one or two pages, without giving them all the power

If I think of anymore, I'll post...

well then you should make a CMS/portal system

Also, something like SSI, be able to include files, text, html, etc..
    {inlclude-file.txt}, {include-dir/file.txt}..

Maybe ability to use PHP inline..

Also, I like the editize kinda idea, offer source editing, or a WYSIWYG editor via DHTML, of course it would only work in IE, but as long as other browsers can still source edit its fine...
    -Mat Sumpter
    Director, Product Engagement
    Penton Media

Originally posted by akash

that's me!!!

It works very fine, just some people are too lazy to set things up and want everything out of box...

Thanks TowerHost,

Thanks akash.

Thanks ProHacker. Your reply was detailed and interesting. I would also contact you through pm when i get started n stuff.

Well if he wants a CMS and not a portal system, webmail prolly wouldn't be something to addin...

Yeah and it would make my task harder and risk my grade. I want to propose something i can finish 'Alone" in less than 4 months of time. If i dont, then the professor can cut my grade . my aims are to enter some good university like davis, ucla, berkeley or stanford, caltech.. after getting a good GRE score and good GPA.
    also my aim is to make some money from the web stuff i love doing in part time.

CMS, Content Manament Systems, generally control the content of the site, information, images, layout, etc... Not provide other functions and features on the site.. A good CMS will never be seen by the end user...

I will try to implement the same. Can we go into detail here please ? For example what specific features the CMS should have.

i have the following ideas, feel free to add yours :-

- Information update as text, images and layout (what u said)

- Ability to have admin authorize them before showing.

- Ability to show on a specific later date even if we add information earlier.

- Comment system to each individual article.

- More ?

Replacements.. Kinda like what vBulletin does, just a little more advanced...

{siteName} in the page would be replaced with the site's name...
    {template-index}, {template-about}, etc, would retrive another template from the database inside the orginal template, could be useful for menus and content that is redundant thoughout the site..

Yes i would love to make my code modular. also database will be designed to accomodate multiple different template/skins a user might want to use.

Maybe a feature for style sets, have one site with the main content, but the style be dynamic, and could be changed on the fly at the users choice...

I think we can do style sets using cookies too , so maybe database might not be used in this case or have template/skins take care of everything

A multiple user interface, with ACL type system, its always nice to have a login for another user that you just to maintain one or two pages, without giving them all the power
    Yeah some of these things for security.

So this is getting interesting for me. lets discuss more

Can anyone guide me to a CMS portal for school similar to [email protected] but also having administrative features for the administration, I mean the financial part as well.

One thing i have noticed about most CMSs is the confusion of the Admin Panel...

From what i have read, you appear to be writing the backend of a CMS, but the Admin Panel would not only look good (you will get marked for the layout etc) and you could make it really easy to use :p

10-06-2002 01:06 AM .... 06-22-2005 05:29 AM
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

There is a difference between content management and portal systems. I think the difference is becoming blurry because most people use the term CMS to describe various portal software, such as the varius bastard children of nuke, xoops, etc. etc.

A good CMS must:

1. Be invisible to the end user (the viewer)
    2. Allow for easy contribution of content (remember, content is king) even by non-technical people
    3. Allow for delivery via different channels
    4. Does not restrict the users to a particlar type of output (relates to number 3). What I mean here is, easy to change the layout of your website, your report, or whatever else you generate.
    5. Implement workflow. This is import if your CMS is to make any dent in the corporate world, where workflow is important.
    6. Have a mature categorization/taxonomy system

Other essential features :

1. Administer versioning/tracking
    2. User permissions/groups and tracking
    3. Allow for the easy management, editing and updating of meta-information related to content
    4. Allow for management of other supporting documents (such as images)

Of those things that I listed, a few require a bit of explanation since they might not mean the same thing to everyone.

Allow for delivery via different channels

Remember that the objective of a content management system is simply to manage the content. It should (ideally) not be a system where you style and define how the output of a particular item should be. The sytem should allow you to generate output for any number of channels (such as html, wap, pdf, images, etc.) from content that is management by the system.

A good sign of a content management system? It doesn't have things such as a poll module, a forum module, etc.

I'm not dogging on *nuke here, just using the terminology. I'll reserve my comments on *nuke for a flame war somewhere on IRC.

Most so-called content management systems are nothing more than site update systems that have addional modules.

meta-information

This is the addional information regarding an entity. For example, a news article might have the reporter, news agency, section, category, etc. Easy management and updating of this information is necessary to allow for efficient searching by both end users and system users.

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but it seemed like a valid place to point these out Good luck with your project AD.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise