Post Help me with this thought :-)

I live in a town a small town, around 130 thousand ppl in this town.

80 procent of the city is connected to the internet, with cable/adsl.

Anyway, there is only 1 company selling raw internetaccess here.
    So ive looked into some possible ways to get internetaccess here and then sell it to companies.

I could sell internet access for about 30 procent cheaper then the company that sells access here right now.
    Now, they sell to ISPs and larger companies, not to private ppl or anything.

Anyway, 30 procent is quite a lot.

Most of the ppl wont for sure change from the other company since they are oldschool, theyve been around for like 8 years.

But some will, how should I get in contact with them?
    Id like to get a few customers before i lunch this, cause the connection is 100 mbit and the price is around 8k dollar a month.
    Then we have IRA (IPs), 2k Euro for a year, and ofcourse CISCO equipment which I will lease and I have to hire 1 guy for the network.

Now, should I write a serious paper and send it to the companies that i know would be intressted, and let them get back to me, should i call the companies, should i do both?

Need advice, guide me :-)

Why don't you start with like a T-3 and upgrade as you need to?

Originally posted by inogenius
    Why don't you start with like a T-3 and upgrade as you need to?
    Id prefer to start a bit higher, because, the more bandwith i buy the cheaper it gets.

I cant buy 10 mbit and sell it for 250 dollar for a mbit, it wouldnt work.

I see. As for getting the clients, I would call them up, or fax them saying that there is a new internet access company in the area. Talk about who you are, what you want to do, and then show them your prices.

Originally posted by inogenius
    I see. As for getting the clients, I would call them up, or fax them saying that there is a new internet access company in the area. Talk about who you are, what you want to do, and then show them your prices.
    Yep, sounds like a good way to start.

Do you personaly know any Company 'owners'? If so, I'd ask tell the owner you are thinking of starting this business, and ask if he'd be interested. Tell him you'd like to get a feel for the market before investing. Maybe give the first five clients a discount, if you can use them for examples of happy clients.
    Once you get started, you can use these clients names to show you are an established business.
    Then maybe make some brochures, and business cards, and personaly visit a few potential ones.
    Personal contact says alot, so I'd start with that. Also you can pass business cards around, and try to hit the market in different ways, hoping to make your name more recognizable.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

Do not fax people, unless they ask you to. This is a form of spam.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

Originally posted by ATST
    Do you personaly know any Company 'owners'? If so, I'd ask tell the owner you are thinking of starting this business, and ask if he'd be interested. Tell him you'd like to get a feel for the market before investing. Maybe give the first five clients a discount, if you can use them for examples of happy clients.
    Once you get started, you can use these clients names to show you are an established business.
    Then maybe make some brochures, and business cards, and personaly visit a few potential ones.
    Personal contact says alot, so I'd start with that. Also you can pass business cards around, and try to hit the market in different ways, hoping to make your name more recognizable.
    Mmm, true, that would be a good idea!
    However, our prices are pretty low already, but...we could probably make a little more discount for the bigger ones