Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    450

    RackSpace Hostware

    Hi,

    Is anyone using RackSpace HostWare to sell hosting?
    I think the product is great, but I would like to hear from users themself if the product is satisfying them.

    Thank you in advance,

    Jacco

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,095
    HostWare is HSphere with Rackspace Fanatical Support. So, basically anyone competently running HSphere right now is pretty much using HostWare.

    To me, HostWare is Rackspace's (trademarked?) name for HSphere.
    Alex Llera
    Professional Server Management
    FreeBSD|Linux|HSphere|Cpanel|Plesk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    450
    Originally posted by allera
    HostWare is HSphere with Rackspace Fanatical Support. So, basically anyone competently running HSphere right now is pretty much using HostWare.

    To me, HostWare is Rackspace's (trademarked?) name for HSphere.
    It is indeed RackSpace's version of H-Sphere. They ask $62.50 per month for 50 domains. Is this a reasonable price?

    Jacco

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    United kingdom
    Posts
    1,003
    We considered using Hostware in the past, but decided to stick with CPanel. While looking at Rackspace prices for Hostware, I found that their prices are quite high (no surprise there ). they charge you on a monthly basis for the user licenses, whereas if you used H-Sphere from somewhere else it's something like $4 per user license, one-off fee. But the advantage of using Rackspace is that they can also support your end-users, so you don't have to worry about answering support issues. This is obvioulsy at a premium. It's a personal choice with what control panel to use, since some users like H-Sphere and some like CPanel... but whichever you choose, you'll never go wrong with Rackspace.

    Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    450
    Originally posted by ho247
    We considered using Hostware in the past, but decided to stick with CPanel. While looking at Rackspace prices for Hostware, I found that their prices are quite high (no surprise there ). they charge you on a monthly basis for the user licenses, whereas if you used H-Sphere from somewhere else it's something like $4 per user license, one-off fee. But the advantage of using Rackspace is that they can also support your end-users, so you don't have to worry about answering support issues. This is obvioulsy at a premium. It's a personal choice with what control panel to use, since some users like H-Sphere and some like CPanel... but whichever you choose, you'll never go wrong with Rackspace.

    Alan
    The supported version of HostWare is even more expensive (this is when they even support you end customer, really nice idea though ) and costs about 100 bucks. So H-Sphere itself is not that expensive?
    Is Cpanel better than Hostware (/H-Sphere)? I like the feature of the automatic billing and anything else that needs to be handled, so I can focus on getting sales instead of worrying with the technique and sales processes.

    Jacco

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,095
    Retail price for HSphere is $4.50 per account with at least 100-accounts per license. Resellers can offer it cheaper per-account and with a 50-account minimum instead. These are one-time costs -- there are no monthly fees associated with HSphere. They do offer support and upgrades for an additional 20% per year. You can read all of that at www.psoft.net.

    HostWare would be good if you don't want to support your end users, or if you want someone to help you support them.

    HSphere would be good if you don't mind supporting your end users and you don't need much support yourself.
    Alex Llera
    Professional Server Management
    FreeBSD|Linux|HSphere|Cpanel|Plesk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    United kingdom
    Posts
    1,003
    Yes, Hostware is H-Sphere... but Rackspace decided to rename it for some reason while offering it as one of their end-user solutions. You should mess around with a demo of CPanel and H-Sphere and see which one you like. Generally, I would say more people like CPanel (a point that many could argue though). H-Sphere certainly does have a billing AND support system integrated into the whole system, so it makes it far easier to manage your customers. Check out the Positive Software website, the makers of H-Sphere/Hostware, if you haven't done so already.

    Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    450
    Originally posted by ho247
    Yes, Hostware is H-Sphere... but Rackspace decided to rename it for some reason while offering it as one of their end-user solutions. You should mess around with a demo of CPanel and H-Sphere and see which one you like. Generally, I would say more people like CPanel (a point that many could argue though). H-Sphere certainly does have a billing AND support system integrated into the whole system, so it makes it far easier to manage your customers. Check out the Positive Software website, the makers of H-Sphere/Hostware, if you haven't done so already.

    Alan
    I checked the Psoft site, and I really liked what I saw. What I liked even more is the fact that it is a total solution, everything is included. And with HostWare RackSpace handles my customers, and that is also a good option.
    Thank you for your feedback, it has given me a good insight!

    Jacco

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •