Different ways of accepting payment?

Hi,

Whilst this is not strictly webhosting as such I think the best advice would come out of this forum as I see a lot of payment related posts here.

I'm do a lot of freelance work for people, usually odd jobs under $200, so I don't want to pay high fees on this.

I'm signed up with paypal with a "personal account". It confuses me every time i login. I think with this you can only accept payments from people who pay you straight from their bank account - this is fair enough but even that doesn't seem to be working properly (they keep asking me to add my CC which won't arrive for a few weeks and I don't really want them to have it).

I also have a 2checkout account. This is ok but they only send the cheque out once you've reached $100, doing an international wire is ludicrously expensive and paying ina $100 cheque in the UK the bank charge about $15 for "negotiating". This also makes it unviable.

I've also setup an account with Nochex.com This looks really good except you can only accept payment from people in the UK with a debit card. (again this is a big flaw as I do work for many international people).

So I ask you, do you know of any inexpensive ways to accept payment similar to paypal that actually works (or if it does, i can understand). Paypal seems my first choice as it's inexpensive to transfer money to my account but for some reason I can't even accept a payment for $100 as it asks me to add my CC.

I wish receiving payment to the UK from international people was easier, next time i might as well ask them to post me some cash

Any other possibilities?

Thanks

I use a combination of payments systems depending upon amount/frequency/service etc..

PaySystems.com
    westernunion.com

and MoneyGram from Thomas Cook - their Australian website is http://www.thomascook.com.au but the service is available to and from most countries in the world and is not expensive.

--Josh
    Josh Powell.
    ServerSpotCheck - Is your website down?
    Skimpylink - Not as tiny as some but much cuter!

Thanks Josh, they all look pretty good except not as convenient as paypal would seem.

Paypal has caused me a lot of hassle, I have a $100 payment it won't let me accept - does anyone know why? I've contacted paypal but am still waiting for a reply. The payment was paid from their bank account and not a CC. It seems to ask for me to add my CC first.

The payment was paid from their bank account and not a CC
    The payment is a customer paying you, but paypal won't let them?

It must be something on thier side I have never had any problems with Paypal I have heard of a lot though.

It sounds like they paid to there paypal and am now trying to switch it to yur account. Is this right?

By the way good luck waiting them to return your message

-Charles

Charles,

The payment has reached my paypal account but when I click on ACCEPT it asks me to add my credit card. I'm still waiting on this to arrive and frankly don't really want to add my CC to Paypal for fear of fraud. So basically I can't accept it without adding a CC, it's funny as I was able to accept a similar payment a few weeks ago!

You have to enter either a credit card to be approved for more options through paypal, I guess. You'll need to give paypal your bank account # etc so you can receive payment or you can receive it via check in the mail too.
    DatacenterHardware.com
    Remote Power Switch / Switched PDU

what about WorldPay? i believe the url is www.worldpay.com

i've seen people from the UK and other countries using them.

Worldpay's a bit pricey though. I think Terry was after something a little more economical.
    Josh Powell.

ok, i'm not aware of worldpay's prices. but they were the only ones i could think of.

Why don't you get a real merchant account?

What you use westernunion for ??

Well a real merchant account is really a bit out of my league, For accepting occasional payments for "odd jobs" so to speak I need something that's as cheap as possible.

Thanks for the replies

Originally posted by important
    What you use westernunion for ??
    I'll assume that questions directed at me as I mentioned it

Payments for custom software, pre-paid support anything really that's over about $250 and not a regularly recurring transaction.
    Josh Powell.

Just want to clear something out.

1. westernunion bank (westernunion.com)
    doesn't charge any fee for accepting/sending money?
    Even it's paid by credit card?

Should you have a westernunion bank account?

However, the online sending money is limited inside USA only.

2. http://www.thomascook.com.au/ website is down?
    Are they still running?

3. for PayPal membership:

From FAQ:
    . Can Personal accounts receive credit card payments?
    . No. In order to reduce the cost of processing expensive credit card transactions associated with accounts that do not pay fees, the ability to receive credit card payments is reserved for Premier and Business accounts.

Premier/Business Account Fee:
    Currency of Payment | Merchant Rate | Standard Rate

U.S. Dollars| 2.2% + $.30 | 2.9% + $.30
    Euros | 2.7% + EUR .35 | 3.4% + EUR .35
    Pounds Sterling | 2.7% + £.20 | 3.4% + £.20

Maybe I lost something,
    but I don't see any inconvenience using PayPal to accept credit card.
    Can somebody explain why you don't want to use PayPal to accept CC?

two main reasons you might not want to use paypal are; 1) they can and will hold all funds you have while investigating a bad transaction from one of your clients, 2) it doesn't look as professional as having your own merchant account. - but
    If you are only doing a few transactions/month, it doesn't make sense to pay the monthlies for a merchant account.

personal accounts cannot accept cc payments according to their website, but premier/business can. maybe you need to upgrade out of a personal account to get the funds?
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival

Why don't you get a real merchant account?

Where from?

> If you are only doing a few transactions/month, it doesn't make sense to pay the monthlies for a merchant account.

I check their rules,
    the only difference is you can get more benefits if you have a merchant account.
    However,
    as a standard account:
    .2.9% + $.30
    is still lower than other choice.....

Re: Different ways of accepting payment?

Originally posted by The Laughing Cow
    Hi,

Whilst this is not strictly webhosting as such I think the best advice would come out of this forum as I see a lot of payment related posts here.

I'm do a lot of freelance work for people, usually odd jobs under $200, so I don't want to pay high fees on this.

(snip)

I also have a 2checkout account. This is ok but they only send the cheque out once you've reached $100, doing an international wire is ludicrously expensive and paying ina $100 cheque in the UK the bank charge about $15 for "negotiating". This also makes it unviable.

(snip)

I wish receiving payment to the UK from international people was easier, next time i might as well ask them to post me some cash

Any other possibilities?

Thanks
    We are coding the ATM card right now Terry. It should be in place for the December payments. It will include a US Bank account, and the ability to write e-checks.

Transfers from 2checkout to the Bank Account will be an ACH transfer, and be free of charge.

The fees for the ATM cards & bank account will be posted in the next few days. What I do recall is that the signup is aprox. $30.00 and a portion of that (either $12.00 or $18.00) is put 'on deposit' and available for your use.

Withdrawal fees will be the same as with any other international ATM card.
    TomD
    Director - Business Development
    tdenman@2co.com
    www.2checkout.com

That sounds great Tom.

I think overhere (UK) to take out money from somewhere international it costs like £2.50 per ATM transaction which is about $4/$5 I guess. That's much better than the £10 it costs to pay in a foreign cheque. Do I get that correctly?

If this happens and is as good as it sounds you'll all be on my christmas card list and i'll eternally promote you!!