Thread: Rsync help!!

Rsync help!!

I got a local server here, I set it up identical to my servers at our NOC.

Hard drive 1 is hda (main)
    Hard drive 2 is hdb (backup2)

I had setup rsync to copy / /usr /home /var /boot partitions to /backup2

What i expected to happen in a server crash, simply move hard drive 2 into hard drive 1's place.

Real world testing : didnt happen.

On reboot, I got "invalid boot device..." etc...so i figured I need a boot disk, made one up and still nadda

alot of errors, basically the last was a kernel panic: vfs" unable to mount root fs on 03:06

with that abound, what next. I expected rsync to save the day, but as i been testing, it wont even boot as expected.

Thanks in advance

I think you would have been better off using cpio or similar.

I may be completely wrong, but rsync is a file based tool, not a disk based tool and so it won't copy the boot sector or any filesystem blocks.

Best thing to do would probably be to do a fresh install of all software, recreate the users, and copy back your users html, mail and databases to the new system.
    hosting53.com - the hosting solutions company

Gary -- ice is correct. rsync will back up a file system but it is not going to replicate a boot sector, etc. You need to use RAID for what you have in mind, or you can make hdb a cold spare, but that probably won't work in a hosting situation.

Im never going to touch raid again, we went though hell for 3-4 months when we had our two raid1 servers, lost quite a bit of customers due to it

If you're running FreeBSD, you could vinum the drives together, have it rebuild the second drive from the first, and then unvinum them; but you'd have to be very careful about that since vinum isn't exactly fault-tolerant. Err, not human-fault-tolerant, I mean.
    Dr. Colin Percival, FreeBSD Security Officer
    Online backups for the truly paranoid: http://www.tarsnap.com/

we are running red hat 7.1/2

If the drives are identical, drop the both in the same machine and use dd to mirror them. That will grab the boot sector, etc.

Yes, I know the bad block table is overwritten with the wrong one, but they'll get weeded out after a few fscks.

Pop the drive back to machine 2 and use rsync to keep them in sync.
    GUI admin tools have no honor. It is a good day to vi.

If i get an identical install as what i currently have of RH, will rsync work?
    I have servers at: NetDepot/GNAX (A), SoftLayer (A), LiquidWeb (B+), DedicatedNow (B+), Nectartech (B) and more!

Originally posted by universal2001
    If i get an identical install as what i currently have of RH, will rsync work?
    rsync will keep everything in sync. If it's setup right you should be fine.
    GUI admin tools have no honor. It is a good day to vi.

yes, make sure all partions are the same, same OS, and when you sync, just sync /home /var /usr