I would like a database on my website, but the only database program I have is Microsoft Access. Does this mean I have to find a host with a Windows NT sever or does Access communicate with SQL on a UNIX sever??? I was hoping to find the flexibility of UNIX. Thanks for any help you can give.... by the way, I have just cancelled a Dellhost account. They did not offer any database for UNIX (even though their faq's said they did) and there was some sort of confusion with the support people as to if you could run scripts in NT....

you need windows for ms access...
    The Php Support Desk
    Custom programming - kunal @ - Ping!Zine. the FREE, FRESH and EXCITING Web Hosting Magazine...

You can convert an MS Access database to a format that mySQL can understand. But if you want to do native ODBC, you're better off with an NT host. If you're willing to try myODBC, you could find a unix or linux based host with mySQL and php. Based on what I've seen around the fora and the contact I've had with support at various places, I'd recommend (in no particular order),, (ignoring their cheesy c|net ranking on their front page),, or All of them support mySQL and php if that's what you want to use.

4. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!