* SnapGear Lite vs. Netgear RT311

I had an RT311 before and it worked fine, but I never really did anything with it; I kept the stock config that came from the factory. However, I want to set up a little web/ftp server behind the firewall.

Does anyone here have experience wtih the SnapGear Lite and/or the RT311? What are your thoughts? Which one would you purchase for a firewall solution for maximum protection but yet allow a web/ftp and possibly Exchange server behind it? (Maximum protection being a relative term considering that we're only talking < $200 for either...)

I'm really just looking to play around with those servers, but I don't want to leave myself open to hacks through my cable modem.

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

Re: SnapGear Lite vs. Netgear RT311

Originally posted by MattGreer
    I had an RT311 before and it worked fine, but I never really did anything with it; I kept the stock config that came from the factory. However, I want to set up a little web/ftp server behind the firewall.

Does anyone here have experience wtih the SnapGear Lite and/or the RT311? What are your thoughts? Which one would you purchase for a firewall solution for maximum protection but yet allow a web/ftp and possibly Exchange server behind it? (Maximum protection being a relative term considering that we're only talking < $200 for either...)

I'm really just looking to play around with those servers, but I don't want to leave myself open to hacks through my cable modem.

Thanks in advance,
    Matt
    I dont know about the snapgear...but I know the RT311 (and 314, etc) don't have a "true" firewall, just some primitive port forwarding and NAT functions. The state of packets isnt (arent?) checked, etc.

For a GOOD firewall expect to spend a little more on your router

greatbeast,

In the scenario I describe, what would you suggest?
    Last edited by MattGreer; 10-05-2002 at 02:05 PM.