Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    its a $99/month box... lol

Originally posted by clocker1996

i personally tend not to put important things on $49 companies

My partitions were set right, because I specified it in the "Special Instructions" in the order form. Otherwise they will do a default partition scheme. Restores are free anyway, get them to do it again with your partition requirements.
    <<Please RTFM for signature setup>>

Originally posted by jhs
    Why is it bad to have one big root partition? Is it to minimize the damage in case of diskcrash?
    Jan,

The major reason is that *nix starts to act very funny (crash etc.) when critical partitions fill. Since everything is on one partition, it's pretty easy for someone to flood your server and have that flood log 100's of thousands of messages. Eventually those messages will fill you / partition and bye-bye server.

It just make it easier for a DoS attack.

Frank
    Umbra Hosting
    cPanel | Softaculous | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    UmbraHosting.com

Thats where proc/fork limits are set. Quotas too!
    <<Please RTFM for signature setup>>

Originally posted by ffeingol

The major reason is that *nix starts to act very funny (crash etc.) when critical partitions fill. Since everything is on one partition, it's pretty easy for someone to flood your server and have that flood log 100's of thousands of messages. Eventually those messages will fill you / partition and bye-bye server.
    Frank, thank you for the answer, but I still don't see the advantage.

You say that if certain partitions fill *nix will behave funny. But what does it help to make separate partitions? For example let's take /var, if it has it own partition, it fills and the box behaves funny, if everything is in one big root partition, that partition fill and the machine behave funny. I don't really see the difference

Jan

But then, say some perl script gets stuck in an unlimited loop and starts dumping data into the /tmp directory... it goes on forever until the entire disk, not just /tmp fills up, making it a much bigger mess to clean up.

James

Originally posted by zRedDice
    But then, say some perl script gets stuck in an unlimited loop and starts dumping data into the /tmp directory... it goes on forever until the entire disk, not just /tmp fills up, making it a much bigger mess to clean up.

James
    well although the whole disk would be full it would'nt be any hard er to clean up since its all in /tmp

i really dont see a difference, i know more partitions can be better except that really varied servers where the various folders are used alot would give tremendous flexibility.
    Rave5 Web Solutions
    http://www.rave5.com

A couple of reasons you want to separate the partitions out:

1. Disk usage: If say your logs get filled up and you have just one big partition. Your whole system crashes because it can't make any more writes to the disk by other processes besides logging. If you have a partition for /var then it just fills up that partition. The computer still continues to run. If the entire main partition gets filled it is very possible that it will not be able to boot up.

2. Security. A lot of root exploits do things like making links of certain files (say from the temp dir) to maybe /etc/passwd. Then they download that file. Linux cannot create links accross partitions, so it eliminates these types of problems. There are also several other exploits that this helps prevent, I just can't remember them off the top of my head.

There are also some other reasons, but it is just too early in the morning for me to think about it right now (on top of it beeing Monday).

Basically it is a very good idea to have separate partitions. It would also be a good idea to create a /tmp partition for security reasons.

--
    Chuck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12