hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : Teen saved after online suicide bid

Forum Jump

Teen saved after online suicide bid

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2002, 11:33 AM
Web Hosting Master

Teen saved after online suicide bid

This is a very sad story. Fortunately, the teen lived but apparently he went on a bulletin board web site to post that he was about to kill himself. Thankfully, someone took him serious and put aside the childish joking and contacted the local police to help him out. I hope the people that urged him to end his life really take this hard, as they should.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/interne...eut/index.html

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2002, 12:05 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

very sad

Old 10-04-2002, 12:27 PM
Web Hosting Master

Which brings up the question - how many of us would have done the same thing? (that is, try to get help even if we didn't know whether the teen was joking or not)

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2002, 12:38 PM
Web Hosting Master

There have been others that have done the same. I don't mean to be harsh, but some say that by the publically announcing what they are about to do all they are trying to do is get attention for one last time. Once again, it was not mean't to be harsh, it was just an opinion stated from some article I read online about a year ago.

Old 10-04-2002, 12:56 PM
Web Hosting Master

Good points

Many reach out for help over the internet. Years ago, we rescued a battered wife from a horrible beating.

She was chatting and had told many about the abuse. Also, she had indicated that her husband had just hit her but now was in the other room.

All of a sudden she typed help....and disappeared....we called the police and reported it...said we really didn't know for sure what was going on. The were very cooperative, said they would handle it like any other domestic violence report and find out. Well, when they arrived she was down on the living room floor and he was kicking her.

The power of the web is tremendous, but can be used for good or bad. I am sure many suicides have been prevented, but others probably caused.

We all have the responsibility to put it to its best use.

Old 10-04-2002, 01:24 PM
Web Hosting Master

I'm sure you'll think me a mean and sadistic bastard, but I really have no sympathy people like this.

" After returning home, the young man immediately reconnected with his online community to track down his rescuer, according to Web postings. "

What a dumbass.

Old 10-04-2002, 02:06 PM
Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by MDJ2000
I'm sure you'll think me a mean and sadistic bastard, but I really have no sympathy people like this.

" After returning home, the young man immediately reconnected with his online community to track down his rescuer, according to Web postings. "

What a dumbass.
ROFL.

Old 10-04-2002, 02:19 PM
Web Hosting Master

1 word - Amazing

This is the type of world that we should have... everybody helping each other

Old 10-04-2002, 02:28 PM
Junior Guru

I have mixed feelings about that. It depends on the community you hang around with online, but it just happens too frequently. People posting in their journals, sending AIM "goodbyes", etc. More than half the time, they end up not going through with it, but we end up worrying about them, anyway. Some people don't have much going on in their lives choose to make drama online. I've witnessed it maybe three or four times now.

Old 10-04-2002, 02:54 PM
Web Hosting Guru

A few years ago a friend of mine sent me a "suicide note" via email and in chatting over AIM said he was gonna commit suicide & not to tell anyone. Well, I took him seriously and called the police to get him some help. He wasn't happy that I did that, but in the end he's still around and we're still friends. I think that a lot of the time it's better to err on the side of caution and call the police. Even if the person is just joking, it can make them aware of the seriousness of that type of joke and possibly get them the help they need.

Old 10-04-2002, 03:46 PM
Web Hosting Master

I have had a very worrying thought, if I were in the same situation i.e. someone said they were going to commit suicide Iím not sure if I would have taken them seriously.

Old 10-04-2002, 05:05 PM
Web Hosting Master

no offense but what some poeple do for attention...i wonder how old this kid is/was...

Old 10-04-2002, 05:16 PM
Web Hosting Master

The kid was obviously trying to get attention. If nobody paid attention then his plan would have succeeded. Some people have strange ways of getting attention but again, that doesn't mean because he posted it online that people should just slam him and try to see if he's bluffing. Basically, if someone says they're going to do something like this, they should be taken seriously every time. If it happens too often, then they need serious mental help.

MDJ2000, what is so wrong with the kid going back online afterwards trying to find the person that saved him? Maybe this was his wakeup call. Maybe he wanted to be saved and when someone did react properly and didn't make some childish jokes, he was greatful.

I wish I could find the person that saved me from a near fatal car accident a couple of years ago. But before I knew what was going on, he was gone. Right after the police arrived. And they were tending to me and not too interested in having him stick around. There's nothing wrong with going back to say "Thank you".

Old 10-04-2002, 11:07 PM
Web Hosting Master

I respect your opinion, and appreciate your compassion, however I must differ. Finding yourself in a
"near fatal car accident" and attempting suicide are not exactly the same thing.

Call me crazy, but I'd even venture to guess you didn't get into that accident on purpose. On the other hand, Mr. Dumbass (for lack of a better name) put himself in that situation.

While there's no doubt this kid is severely f**ked up. Somehow I doubt this was his "wakeup call". It's about three words...Me, Me, Me. I just have no sympathy for people who're so selfish. Besides, anyone that takes an "online life" so damn seriously, really needs to be kicked in the ass repeatedly.

Hopefully this kid will grow up, and turn out ok. If not, I'm gonna be mad at that woman for mucking with Darwin's theory...

Old 10-04-2002, 11:39 PM
Junior Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by MDJ2000
I don't know you well enough to call you "sadistic" but you are misinformed and your words are cold. Depression is an illness and sometimes cannot be controlled without counseling and/or medication. He actually attempted suicide by overdosing on drugs, it wasn't about attention, it was about dying. How would you feel if your mom, dad, brother, or sister talked about commiting suicide? Would you let "Darwinism" as you say take it's course and turn a blind eye? Bottom line.. I'm glad the kid is ok and hope he gets some help and support.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
BT Makes Parental Controls Default Option for New Internet Subscribers Web Hosting News 2013-12-18 09:35:55
Free Web Hosting Services Powering Websites in the Developing World Web Hosting News 2013-10-16 10:54:54
SMBs Still Shaky on Cloud Security: Microsoft, comScore Study Web Hosting News 2013-06-11 13:30:25
New Internet Censorship Law in Russia Requires Web Hosts, ISPs to Block Illegal Websites Web Hosting News 2012-11-12 12:06:43
UK, US Federal Authorities Seize 36 Domains Connected to Financial Fraud Web Hosting News 2012-04-27 10:28:20