Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* Teen saved after online suicide bid

This is a very sad story. Fortunately, the teen lived but apparently he went on a bulletin board web site to post that he was about to kill himself. Thankfully, someone took him serious and put aside the childish joking and contacted the local police to help him out. I hope the people that urged him to end his life really take this hard, as they should.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/interne...eut/index.html
    Mark Blair

very sad
    www.rackfive.com
    Aquired by Data Provider LLC.

Which brings up the question - how many of us would have done the same thing? (that is, try to get help even if we didn't know whether the teen was joking or not)

There have been others that have done the same. I don't mean to be harsh, but some say that by the publically announcing what they are about to do all they are trying to do is get attention for one last time. Once again, it was not mean't to be harsh, it was just an opinion stated from some article I read online about a year ago.
    Domain Software, LLC.

Good points

Many reach out for help over the internet. Years ago, we rescued a battered wife from a horrible beating.

She was chatting and had told many about the abuse. Also, she had indicated that her husband had just hit her but now was in the other room.

All of a sudden she typed help....and disappeared....we called the police and reported it...said we really didn't know for sure what was going on. The were very cooperative, said they would handle it like any other domestic violence report and find out. Well, when they arrived she was down on the living room floor and he was kicking her.

The power of the web is tremendous, but can be used for good or bad. I am sure many suicides have been prevented, but others probably caused.

We all have the responsibility to put it to its best use.

I'm sure you'll think me a mean and sadistic bastard, but I really have no sympathy people like this.

" After returning home, the young man immediately reconnected with his online community to track down his rescuer, according to Web postings. "

What a dumbass.

Originally posted by MDJ2000
    I'm sure you'll think me a mean and sadistic bastard, but I really have no sympathy people like this.

" After returning home, the young man immediately reconnected with his online community to track down his rescuer, according to Web postings. "

What a dumbass.
    ROFL.

1 word - Amazing

This is the type of world that we should have... everybody helping each other

I have mixed feelings about that. It depends on the community you hang around with online, but it just happens too frequently. People posting in their journals, sending AIM "goodbyes", etc. More than half the time, they end up not going through with it, but we end up worrying about them, anyway. Some people don't have much going on in their lives choose to make drama online. I've witnessed it maybe three or four times now.
    It makes no difference which one of us you vote for. Either way, your planet is doomed... DOOMED!

A few years ago a friend of mine sent me a "suicide note" via email and in chatting over AIM said he was gonna commit suicide & not to tell anyone. Well, I took him seriously and called the police to get him some help. He wasn't happy that I did that, but in the end he's still around and we're still friends. I think that a lot of the time it's better to err on the side of caution and call the police. Even if the person is just joking, it can make them aware of the seriousness of that type of joke and possibly get them the help they need.
    Chris Spangler
    [email protected]

I have had a very worrying thought, if I were in the same situation i.e. someone said they were going to commit suicide Iím not sure if I would have taken them seriously.

no offense but what some poeple do for attention...i wonder how old this kid is/was...
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

The kid was obviously trying to get attention. If nobody paid attention then his plan would have succeeded. Some people have strange ways of getting attention but again, that doesn't mean because he posted it online that people should just slam him and try to see if he's bluffing. Basically, if someone says they're going to do something like this, they should be taken seriously every time. If it happens too often, then they need serious mental help.

MDJ2000, what is so wrong with the kid going back online afterwards trying to find the person that saved him? Maybe this was his wakeup call. Maybe he wanted to be saved and when someone did react properly and didn't make some childish jokes, he was greatful.

I wish I could find the person that saved me from a near fatal car accident a couple of years ago. But before I knew what was going on, he was gone. Right after the police arrived. And they were tending to me and not too interested in having him stick around. There's nothing wrong with going back to say "Thank you".
    Mark Blair

I respect your opinion, and appreciate your compassion, however I must differ. Finding yourself in a
    "near fatal car accident" and attempting suicide are not exactly the same thing.

Call me crazy, but I'd even venture to guess you didn't get into that accident on purpose. On the other hand, Mr. Dumbass (for lack of a better name) put himself in that situation.

While there's no doubt this kid is severely f**ked up. Somehow I doubt this was his "wakeup call". It's about three words...Me, Me, Me. I just have no sympathy for people who're so selfish. Besides, anyone that takes an "online life" so damn seriously, really needs to be kicked in the ass repeatedly.

Hopefully this kid will grow up, and turn out ok. If not, I'm gonna be mad at that woman for mucking with Darwin's theory...

I don't know you well enough to call you "sadistic" but you are misinformed and your words are cold. Depression is an illness and sometimes cannot be controlled without counseling and/or medication. He actually attempted suicide by overdosing on drugs, it wasn't about attention, it was about dying. How would you feel if your mom, dad, brother, or sister talked about commiting suicide? Would you let "Darwinism" as you say take it's course and turn a blind eye? Bottom line.. I'm glad the kid is ok and hope he gets some help and support.

Wow! He lives about 10 miles from me! If I saw someone posting that and I knew where he lived I would have driven to his house and tried to talk him out of it.

About a half an hour or so drive I could have been there too, it's pretty close.

I have very little sympathy also, as being a teenager I'm used to hearing "I'm going to kill myself" which is essentially a way to try to have everyone gather around and comfort you every time you become sad.

Anyways, what's he doing posting it on the game board? Was it so serious to him that he lost an item or something in the game and felt it was all over?
    www.muttle.com - Free domain and cobranded hosting. Add free hosting to your pay host to increase your customer base.

Originally posted by EzCool
    About a half an hour or so drive I could have been there too, it's pretty close.

I have very little sympathy also, as being a teenager I'm used to hearing "I'm going to kill myself" which is essentially a way to try to have everyone gather around and comfort you every time you become sad.

Anyways, what's he doing posting it on the game board? Was it so serious to him that he lost an item or something in the game and felt it was all over?
    i can see it now "i cant get my character to raise another level ive been using him for over a year and a half and he wont go up anymore...im so depressed casue of this so im going to commit suicide...bye people" kinda sad but i know people who would do that to a point (they mgiht not commit suicide but they would be all depressed) ..
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

I have lost 4 friends and 2 family members to suicide....you know what I say? If they're that that weak, goodbye... cold, heartless [email protected] that I am...
    I stopped my mother from committing suicide years ago, and I deeply regret that action. She has continued to ruin every life in her path. Next time I stop by and find her overdosed, I will close the door and whistle while i walk away thinking the worlds a better place.

you say: How would you feel if your mom, dad, brother, or sister talked about commiting suicide? Would you let "Darwinism" as you say take it's course and turn a blind eye?

I say: Yep, been there, done that.
    Need Control Panel help? Tutorials, FAQS, user guides. and more
    Don't have the control panel you use listed? Let us know.

i really cant understand how people can attempt to do that to themselves. maybe its the same way an athiest cant grasp belief in god but why the hell would anyone want to throw their life away. ive faced pretty much the worst situations anyone can and it just makes me more determined to grasp life by the throat and kick it till i win. when youve lost your three closest friends in life you appreciate the value of life. some people need to realise theres a big picture and pissant small problems dont register on the scale of things. call me a heartless git (personally id have shifted heaven and earth to get him help, but id still never understand how he'd want to) but when youve faced the reaper man, when youve lost your closest friends and family and home, then you can appreciate life, some people really just dont realise. where the hell was the kids parents btw? didnt they notice the decline, its rare you just finish a cup of coffee, frag a few people and decide to do yourself in?
    --
    Rich

i think suicide has alot to do with the person thinking that the world revolves around them....they cant get there way so they are going to get the ez way out...thats why i think like this kid went to the message board he wanted all this attention....i guess he got it hu? now i can realize his family is probly screwed up (every family has their faults) but like others said where the hell were his parents?....now what will happen to the kid is he will probly get stuffed with drugs by some shrink....i come from expereicen when it comes to anti - depressants they do more harm then good honestly...
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

hell yes agree about anti depressants, sometimes they are a useful tool to give some people the strength they need to overcome diffuiculties but all to many a time theyre just used to mask the problems. theres nothing that anti depressants do that cant be achieved with time and love from a good friend or family member.
    --
    Rich

wow man now that is some weird stuff !

Originally posted by richy
    i really cant understand how people can attempt to do that to themselves. maybe its the same way an athiest cant grasp belief in god
    Richy,

I take offense in this comment. I am both an atheist and manic-depressive (bipolar), and I truly do not see why you compare a religious belief, to a medical disorder. And your comment is also incorrect in that atheists can't grasp belief in god. That is not the case, please look up a good athiest site, to understand fully what we believe (or do not believe) in. It has nothing to do with mentally not being able to. I suggest http://www.atheists.org

Edit: I apologize for taking this topic off topic, I just could not resist commenting on this.

As for the original topic, can you blame the guy? As I said, I am bipolar, and this kind of thing is not controlled by the kid. He can try and try but when it comes down to it, his body takes over and his mind shuts down. Apparently, he wanted a reason not to kill himself, and that is a good thing. Do you think he should have just killed himself without looking for a reason not to? Even if it was attention, when you are that screwed up, you have to do something. You want to be heard. You want people to tell you not to, and why not. Again, it is all in the mind, not the guy's choice.
    Last edited by CubeXHosting; 10-05-2002 at 04:38 PM.
    Cube X Hosting
    www.CXHosting.com
    AIM: CubeXH, Yahoo: CubeXH

While I do not understand depression, and further, would not allow it for an excuse to kill some one, (such as been used in the court of law) I do have some sympathy for those that would end their life, no matter how small they feel it is.
    This person was crying out for help the only way his mind would allow at the time. He unfortunately didn't feel he was worthy of just saying, "Please talk me out of killing myself." which was probably good, seeing the many reactions here.
    Depression is a desease, that I think lacks understanding because people are afraid they will "catch" it. We don't want to hear about someone not liking themselves. We want to hear happy things. and actually we are right to want to hear only happy things.
    That's why depression is so undertreated. They are depressed, so nobody wants to be around them. Then they feel nobody understands them. When sombody does care enough to try to help, the results aren't usually immediate, making the people helping them, feel like they aren't helping much. So we distance ourselves from the depressed. That makes us just as selfish as we think they are being. If it makes you feel better, there have been cases of "one time only" suicide attempts, where the person was saved, and did go on to live a full and happy life without being depressed.

The fact is, every time we wake up, we make a choice. Most peoples choice is to live the day to it's fullest. Others chose to waste away thier time, or their lives.
    Still others wonder why they have been given the gift of life when they do not feel worthy. These people need help. Honestly, the people around them need may help too, to support them without the fear of being dragged down with them.
    I think if you know someone who needs help, you should do what you can, but at the same time, try not to feel responsable if they don't get better.
    Every life has value.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!ô
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

umm since when was i comparing a religous belief to a mental disorder??? re read what i wrote. i was saying that i cannot comprehend why i person would feel like that, possibly in the same manner that some atheists cannot comprehend another persons belief in god. i strongly suggest you think carefully about what i wrote and re read it. i was talking about ME not being able to understand how a normal person can do that to themselves. nothing to do with religion per se.
    ive been pretty depressed before, when i was 15 i lost the two closest people to me in the world just after nearly dieing myself. this being at one of the most stressful academic times in my life to that date, my response was to go for a walk. a pretty long one, about 750 miles i think i covered in total. i put my head right and my life right. i never ever once considered loosing what was in effect most precious to me and that i had seen taken from others who meant so much to me. i owe the speed of my sorting it out to the love and compassion of some wonderful friends but i dont doubt i would hve gotten there solo if required.
    as for bipolar etc, this is a topic i know a little about, my mums first degree was psych and i borrowed a lot of her text books etc, but ill refrain from showing up the shallowness of my knowledge but i do understand what you mean about control levels, this is perfectly true, but was this kid bipolar? i had a perfectly sane but depressed friend commit suicide, why, he never intended to. He knew i was going to be going round to his house (as i did every day without fail) and would find him, however he didnt know i was on holiday. He played a game with the reaper and lost, i know how much that hurt me and thats a prime reason id never do it to myself. Real mental disorders withstanding i cannot comprehend how someone can do it.

ATST - well put , every single day of every life has value. theres too many people who dont get their fair share, while you have it use it.
    --
    Rich

Richy,

I apologize if I misread your statement. I thought what you meant was atheists can not grasp that god is real, not that atheists can't grasp that other people can believe god is real.

As for the kid, if he tried killing himself, he has some sort of depression. There are many types of depression, but when it comes down to it, it can mean the same thing.

When ya have a mental disorder, you can try as hard as you can to control it, but self-control is almost impossible. Medication isn't exactly a great thing, but it is one of the only effective ways to control those urges.

I'm sorry to hear about your personal experiences...it can be really tough (major understatement).
    Cube X Hosting
    www.CXHosting.com
    AIM: CubeXH, Yahoo: CubeXH

no problems im not the sort of person given to making totally stupid statements, i just make some hazy comparissons now and again. thanks for your sympathies, ive not had life as easy as i would have liked, standing tall before the reaper scared me stupid, loosing friends hurt badly, but im still here, i still have great friends and im very thankful for that. whenever i get to feeling narked that im hard done to or similar, i make myself think, i could have been mike or cal or any other friend whose not here with me today, puts things in perspective real quick.
    the kid was obviously not totally right, no one contemplating doing that and esp going through with it could be outside some very very weird circumstances (euthanasia maybe, and the people who intend to be caught), but to be honest if i was his shrink, id throw the computer in the bin, take him on the razz, then out canoeing with some mates for a weekend and show him theres plenty of fun to be had in life, that theres more to life then sitting in front of a daft box 247. computers facilitate the 'escapism' paradigm far too easily compared with previous generations leisure pursuits. its just not healthy, if this kid had been playing rugby, mountain biking, hanging round a park even, if he;d had day to day contact with friends, someone may have noticed a problem before it got that advanced.
    i got offered happy pills (not the nasty tri cyclics but the seratonin supressants) but refused them, personally im not happy with the idea of how they work and id rather face things full on, but thats because im born stubborn\stupid , the certainly have a place, theyre just often abused, theyre supposed to give you the strength to deal with things (something to do with brain dolphins) but theyre all to often given to help people ignore the problems.
    im just very glad he got caught and can grow up and have a kick ass life.
    --
    Rich

Learn to use paragraphs...yeesh

Learn to use paragraphs...yeesh
    who asked for your opinion on anything? you have a problem with they way i type personal posts then thats just it, your problem, deal with it.
    --
    Rich

Originally posted by dreamHOBO
    ...What the hell does this have to do with the topic?
    I think what the person writing that article was trying to state was that the online world is very similar to that of normal everyday society. People will see someone is trying to get attention or attempting suicide and they will encourage it to take place. That's probably the biggest reason I posted this thread in the first place. I wasn't trying to bring sympothy to the kid that posted about him taking his own life but was more ticked off that people are ignorant and make stupid comments that could mean the difference between someone just making statements about death versus carrying it out.
    Mark Blair

yup, theres always some person who doesnt have the time and will try and push a person over the edge. its sick really.
    --
    Rich

It's hard to be helpful online these days since we have so many stupid people and trolls trying to deceive others.

id still rather be fooled 100 times and be right once, then be wrong once. not that what your saying is wrong at all.
    --
    Rich

That is a ver sad story and it higlights one of the downfalls f the internet, that you can't always tell if people are being serious and it is far too easy to ignore it.

Originally posted by richy

who asked for your opinion on anything? you have a problem with they way i type personal posts then thats just it, your problem, deal with it.
    You have to be asked your opinion to post here? In that case, you should shut up...

learn to contribute enough to merit paragraphs. seesh.
    --
    Rich

Originally posted by tazd9t9
    That is a ver sad story and it higlights one of the downfalls f the internet, that you can't always tell if people are being serious and it is far too easy to ignore it.
    And people can totally lie online and get away with it.
    -Mooneer
    Thoughtbug Software: Hosting shouldn't require any thought.
    Legitimate host? Support the Code of Ethical Conduct

people cant always lie. not all of us are truly anonymous. take what i said for instance, sure i could have been lieing, i wish i was. but taz (jo thats you isnt it? lol forgive my ailing memory) knows ben a very good friend of mine, all jo would have to do is ask ben and he would confirm it what i said. while there are certain circumstances where there is near total anonimity there isnt always.
    --
    Rich

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast