Angry Blatant spammer what to do?

Hello,

I had a guy sign up this week I even talked to him on the phone for a while.

Not 2 days in to his new account my server load bumps up to 300-400 I check the logs and sure eneuph a massive spam attack.

I suspended his account and stopped his billing, I havn't contacted him yet.

Any suggestions on what to say and how to handle this?

Thanks all,

-Charles

Terminate his account send him an email that says his account has gone bye bye for spamming.

Thumbs up

Sounds like a plan........

Hmm, do you guys then refund his money, or do you just fight his chargeback?

-WC-

I would fight the charge back and go as far as hiring a collection agency to go after them for any fees I incur if they do a chargeback I will try and ruin their credit.

I hate spammers my TOS says their account will be terminated and their credit card charged $500.00 if caught no refunds.

hmm, I suppose that assumes they are in the US. Would be more difficult to hire a collection agency against someone outside of your local country.

-WC-

I hate spammers my TOS says their account will be terminated and their credit card charged $500.00 if caught no refunds.
    That is the best idea I have ever heard

Thanks,

Charles

Is there a way, or program, that allows you to know when an account is sending a lot of e-mail. Say, something that alerts you that xx amount of e-mails have been sent in xx time?
    Richard
    Multiple Domain Hosting | See our Ad in PC Magazine
    Windows Reseller Hosting @ www.e3servers.com

Is there a way, or program, that allows you to know when an account is sending a lot of e-mail. Say, something that alerts you that xx amount of e-mails have been sent in xx time?
    That is a great question I think cpanel should add that option to there whm.

I usually use the: last function in ssh then if there are several hits to one email you can tell if it's spam.

What i would like too is a email alert: customer #### has sent 100 emails in less then 30 minutes.

-Charles

the mass e-mail notification is a good idead, but you also have to be careful that you don't cut someone off because they used the mass e-mail option in their msg board software. more often then not, those e-mails aren't spam, but more along the lines of useful msg's about the community.

Originally posted by ImLagging
    the mass e-mail notification is a good idead, but you also have to be careful that you don't cut someone off because they used the mass e-mail option in their msg board software. more often then not, those e-mails aren't spam, but more along the lines of useful msg's about the community.
    I think that is the idea--having notification of a large amount of e-mail popping up with some sort of alert so someone can look into the matter. I don't think I would ever have a program immediately delete an account or stop e-mail capability solely on the fact that they are sending a lot of e-mail, but rather have an alert so a *human* can look whether this is spam or a mailing list.
    Richard
    Multiple Domain Hosting | See our Ad in PC Magazine
    Windows Reseller Hosting @ www.e3servers.com

depending on the mta you are using, you could increase the delivery delay time for messages sent from that account, effectively throttling the amount of possible spam they are able to send out before you have a chance to look at the situation personally.

[off to write a shellscript to do it in postfix]

cheers,
    paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

depending on the mta you are using, you could increase the delivery delay time for messages sent from that account, effectively throttling the amount of possible spam they are able to send out before you have a chance to look at the situation personally.
    Brillant I like that idea

Incredible ever since I started this thread our business has been bombarded with Spam almost every account on out contact page had some sort of Spam sent in the last hour.

coincidence

We need to start a mob against these guys
    Last edited by DWHS; 10-04-2002 at 05:48 PM.