Thread: New Piano

New Piano

I bought a new piano last weekend, and as Im thinking of what sheet music to get, Im wondering if you lot had any suggestions, on what I should learn? Im into all types of music and am currently learning as many beatles tunes as possible

Anything you think sounds great for the piano?

Cheers
    James

Rap music

I think Titanic sounds awesome on Piano's

hoiw the hell do you play rap music on a piano? lol if you can do so...please video tape it and i will pay big bucks (as long as i can lmao and sell the video)...lol but i do like eminem,dmx,etc...
    -Robert Norton
    www.SophMedia.com

Beethoven's Piano Concerto Number 5 "The Emperor", third movement. That is a great piece of work.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

If youre good, Sergei Rachmaninov (not too bad, plus everyone loves Rhapsody on a Theme of Paginini). If you can think in many parallels, try some fugues arranged for piano, including Bach's Little Fugue in G minor. Some more Bach stuff you might like include Fantasia and Fugue in G minor, which again everyone knows. Everyone knows Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, but only the first movement. The third movement blows the first away. And another less known one that many elementary school bands play (though a watered down version) of is a portion pf Modest Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibiton called The Great Gate of Kiev. The theme from Pictures at an Exhibiton is heard several times in this piece (around 3 minutes, and the last two minutes which goes from moutning dissonances and modulations several times over to the consonnace of the theme, needless to say this is one of my favorite songs).

Some difficult stuff:
    Rachmaninov's 3rd Concerto, also refered to as one of the hardest pieces ever written.

If you have a program such as Finale (a bit pricy though at $400), you can open MIDI files and edit them and do what you want to them. They do make a free version which is very limited, but it does let you view the MIDI files. Search around for it at www.codamusic.com Than you can pretty much look for any MIDI you want and not have to pay for sheet music (which is a worse racket than the CD/RIAA bullsh1t is).

Hayden, Liszt, Shubert, DeBussy, and all them cant hurt either. Also try some of the "ditties" like Watermelon Man, Whose Blues, etc. As well as stuff like Take the A Train, Eclipse, etc.

Have fun

I have Andrew Lloyd Webber.

I really recommend his pieces.

If you play blues, I can give you recommendation on what books you should get.

I play blues (piano) when I feel weary.

Originally posted by DutchSchultz
    I have Andrew Lloyd Webber.

I really recommend his pieces.
    gah!

How could I forget show tunes?

You can easily find tons of them, and they are some of teh best music. Phantom is good, Evita is better, West Side Story & Guys and Dolls rule me (when youre a jet youre as cool as can be from your first cigarette to your last dying breath...... for the people all said sit down, sit down your rocking the boat!.... I've got my horse right here, his name is Paul Revere and heres a guy that says that the wheather is clear....) and Oklahoma, The Music Man, I can go on and on, but you get the idea.

Acronym BOY, you have named a few of my favourites there. I just wish I was that good

DutchSchultz: I love playing the blues and any recomendations would be great.

Keep them coming.

Cheers
    James

Jeellison,

My favorite start-ups are Blues For Piano and Definitive Blues Collection.

You can start with these books, you can buy them online here:

http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/0009529/details.ihtml

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...012872-3766240

They are great depressing songs. If you know what I mean.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by DutchSchultz; 10-03-2002 at 07:28 PM.

Re: New Piano

Originally posted by jeellison
    I bought a new piano last weekend, and as Im thinking of what sheet music to get, Im wondering if you lot had any suggestions, on what I should learn? Im into all types of music and am currently learning as many beatles tunes as possible

Anything you think sounds great for the piano?

Cheers
    James
    What kind of piano did you buy?
    I have a 1929 Kranich-Bach Baby Grand that I restored about 10 years ago. I had the white keys resurfaced and French polished every piece. I would highly recommend Chopin. While I am a hugh Beatles fan, Chopin's music is made for the piano. Get yourself a Chopin beginners book.... I'm assuming that you are just starting to learn.

Re: Re: New Piano

Originally posted by web docta

What kind of piano did you buy?
    I have a 1929 Kranich-Bach Baby Grand that I restored about 10 years ago. I had the white keys resurfaced and French polished every piece. I would highly recommend Chopin. While I am a hugh Beatles fan, Chopin's music is made for the piano. Get yourself a Chopin beginners book.... I'm assuming that you are just starting to learn.
    It is a MiniRoyal by Eavestaff. I use to have one identical many years ago, but had to sell it during my poor times as a student, I was gutted at the time. But amazingly. this one I have bought could actually be the one I use to have as it is absolutely identical with the same markings (I like to think it is anyway)

I reached grade 5 then stopped doing exams and just concentrated on learning as many different pieces as possible. Ive been learning the guitar for the last couple of years and didnt really think about buying another piano until a girlfriend of mine started having piano lessons and just seeing her literacy stuff sparked me back up again - I just had to get one, and im so glad i did. I just cant believe I went all these years without one.

Your right about chopin, and I havent learnt any of his pieces, but I will now - Cheers.

Radiohead - Like Spinning Plates

That sounds good, I don't know how difficult it is.
    Andrew Walenczykiewicz
    StyleMy.com

Re: Re: Re: New Piano

Originally posted by jeellison

I reached grade 5 then stopped doing exams and just concentrated on learning as many different pieces as possible. Ive been learning the guitar for the last couple of years and didnt really think about buying another piano until a girlfriend of mine started having piano lessons and just seeing her literacy stuff sparked me back up again - I just had to get one, and im so glad i did. I just cant believe I went all these years without one.

Hey , I know the feeling. I started on the Accordion! When the Beatles came out...guitars became really cool. I abandoned the accordion/piano for guitars. I went back many years later. I also have an Alesis QS8 synthesizer that I use with headphones at night, as not to disturb the rest of the household.

Originally posted by Acronym BOY

If you have a program such as Finale (a bit pricy though at $400), you can open MIDI files and edit them and do what you want to them.

My god, this is absolutely brilliant. I cant thank you enough.....

Cheers
    James