Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Venturesonline vs MChost?

What reseller program is better? And who is better?

Both have similar packages, with similar prices.

Only big difference I found is that VO sell space allocation, while Mchost sell real used space, for example in VO-s plan BR1000
    you can't have to accounts with quota of 600Mb, when my friend found it - he felt like he was cheated by VO. But I convinced him that this means less load on server.

Also VO have dedicated solutions, but mchost only started offering it in their forum recently.

Do MChost own and operate their own datacenter? If not, that's got to be one plus for VO.
    Josh Powell.
    ServerSpotCheck - Is your website down?
    Skimpylink - Not as tiny as some but much cuter!

i change from ventures because i cannot give my clients more. mchost rocks

Originally posted by e-stefan
    How is support at mchost compared to support at VO?
    Last edited by John1973; 10-03-2002 at 12:18 AM.

MCHost has gone through some problems with support (search WHT for info on that). I haven't personally had experience with either, however, a friend of mine is a dedicated customer and generally gets 5-30 minute response times (even during off hours).

Furthermore, VO does offer more upgrading options (Reseller -> VPS -> Dedicated -> Colo) so if you're looking to stick with one host through it all I'd probably choose VO.
    A well-reasoned assumption is very close to fact.
    - Adorno

If you definatly want to use one of those two hosts I would recomend MCHost.
    Multiple Image Corporation - http://www.multipleimage.com
    Diverse Solutions for Diverse Companies.
    Virtual, Dedicated & Colocated Hosting.

MCHost
    www.boxedhost.com
    COMING SOON!
    A Resellers Dream, In a Box

Originally posted by e-stefan
    What do you exactly mean?

VO - great dedicated servers to

venturesonline looks to be expensive, MCHost doesnt run their own datafacility? For some reason i thought they did.
    www.boxedhost.com
    COMING SOON!

Nope, McHost does not have their datacenter. They have servers at DV2 and a few others - still moving accounts from Burst.net over to DV2.

Support at McHost depends on which day you catch them. Can be very good one day and lousy the next 2.

They bill on space used, not allocated, this is true and that could be a must, but many other hosts offer that that have better communication than McHost (httpme.com is one if I remember right, though Rob could tell you more himself - voxtreme does that as well, etc)

And remember that you get what you pay for. Because something is cheap doesn't necessarily make it good. Although sometimes you may be very pleasantly surprised by what very good service you may get for pretty much small bucks. But you have to be lucky to get that.
    Jacynthe Durocher
    Co-owner Adrianet Corporation

I've been with VenturesOnline for well over a year. Their support is great. I am on their old and new reseller plans.

I tried out McHost and support was inferior. I needed major support the first week I got there and response time was very slow, however, eventually came through.

I was surprised that I couldn't create my own packages at McHost without having to go to them to create them.

It just didn't appear to me that they were managing too well. It's nice when a host listens to resellers' feedback, but I found them way too dependant on resellers which IMO is too much of a burden. I had been with a host for a couple of years whereby we resellers practically helped shape that company to what it had become, but we were getting a 25% discount on the servers, plus we got an array of many other benefits and bonuses. They didn't go as far as asking for volunteers to move to a server. I thought that was going a bit too far. It doesn't look like they bothered to plan.

Overall, I didn't like the way McHost manages their company. There is just no comparison between MC and VO. VO's business model is far superior.

But VO's bulk reseller accounts are based on used space, isn't it?

I have been with both MCHost and VO and I must say mchost is not comparable to VO in anyway.

- VO has its own datacenter.
    - Has great ticket response time
    - Has better servers
    - Very better bandwidth (Cognet in mchost's dv2 servers)
    - More professional support
    - Better structured business

And many many other advantages.

I never saw a down time more than 20 minutes with VO but I saw a 40 hours down time during a week in mchost.

They were not able to manage server problems for more than a week.

Mac

Which company do you feel is more stable?
    www.boxedhost.com
    COMING SOON!

As a customer of VenturesOnline for over a year now, I would have to say that VO is much more stable.

1. VO Owns their own datacenter, where they have access to the servers 24/7 with onsite staff. If something goes wrong they dont need to depend on someone else to fix it, they can literally get up and fix it themselves.

2. VO has been around for quite a bit longer

3. VO not only has Reseller plans, but they have VPS if you wish to upgrade, and when you need to can provide you with a dedicated server.

4. Nothing beats VOs support. And I really mean that. Their support staff are professionals, not outsourced. I always receive fast responses whenever I send something in.

5. Bandwidth and Equipment. VO uses only the best of both. Their bandwidth is the best, and their servers are the best.

When you are a reseller your uptime and quality of services is dependent on your provider. There is only You and VO, whereas with MC Host its YOU, MCHost, Their Provider, and the server.

I wish you the best of luck with whoever you choose, and let us know how it goes.

Originally posted by comphosting
    a friend of mine is a dedicated customer and generally gets 5-30 minute response times (even during off hours).
    I would be very interested to meet this 'friend' of yours

I'm not sure about 'Used Space'?

VO Reseller accounts are on shared space, so they do have limits in all fairness:

http://www.venturesonline.com/info/system-abuse.html

Most definitely VO is much more stable. There's just no comparison. As they have been growing by leaps and bounds, I haven't been gravely affected by their growing pains, as they have a good handle on Managing every aspect of the business. They Never sell over their heads, but do things slowly but surely. They have everything well planned out as best as one possibly can in this field, with good vision of things to come in this fast evolving world of technology.

A host can have the best of everything technically, data center etc., but if the company isn't managed well, you'll experience a lot more pains and stains, which you'll also be inflicting on your clients.

Another point is that MChost doesn't plan to have phone access until next year. I mean, even if they were running the company from their garage, I would think that phone access would be in order from the getgo. Even those starting out from their garages can offer that much. Maybe someone can enlighten me why it would be so difficult for a company to offer phone access, especially when they have quite a few people working with them?

In any event, the folks at MChost are very nice, but so are the folks at VO. It's not to say that MChost won't ever make it, but IMHO it looks like shakey grounds, as I got the impression that they are winging it as they go along. It sizes down to whether you prefer rocky roads or smoother ones. I prefer to pay a few more bucks for a smoother ride with experienced drivers and leave the rocky road to icecream makers

Originally posted by Basmah

Another point is that MChost doesn't plan to have phone access until next year.
    Well Marc has been saying 2 weeks lately, to which I had a we shall see in time.... I just always found it strange that a Canadian business does not list their canadian office in their corporative overview page but list the ones in Australia, France and the US.
    Jacynthe Durocher
    Co-owner Adrianet Corporation

Wow, i never seen so many negative things about mchost.com before.. maybe ive been shelterd.. i never heard anything but positives till now.
    www.boxedhost.com
    COMING SOON!

RH4U, it's not that mchost is bad, but it's not easy to compete with a host like VO

Originally posted by wmac
    But VO's bulk reseller accounts are based on used space, isn't it?
    Mac
    Not, they aren't. They are based on allocation. So if you have 2 accounts with allocation of 600Mb, you can put both on mchost reseller plan, but can't put it on VO reseller plan, even if real space ussage is 1Mb

John1973,

You are correct, VO does not allow you to oversell space. This being said, I think VOs policy on overselling is fair. Thats one of the ways they maintain their great reputation, by ensuring they always have the resources available for each account, and by providing quality service. Many of the best web hosts dont oversell (FutureQuest.com), and that policy has made them one the best, if not the best. If you're looking to sell 500 MB plans with 25 GB of bandwidth for $4.95 then VO is not the place for you.

You'll find many VO resellers are successful selling both the 50/50 and Bulk plans. Good luck with whoever you decide to go with though, and be sure to come back here and give us a review after a few months

Originally posted by TheMMIz
    John1973,

You are correct, VO does not allow you to oversell space. This being said, I think VOs policy on overselling is fair. Thats one of the ways they maintain their great reputation, by ensuring they always have the resources available for each account, and by providing quality service. Many of the best web hosts dont oversell (FutureQuest.com), and that policy has made them one the best, if not the best. If you're looking to sell 500 MB plans with 25 GB of bandwidth for $4.95 then VO is not the place for you.
    How can selling allocation space instead of real space ensure they always have resource available? And didn't it mean VO itself is overselling space? Where on VO site you can find info that they are selling allocation space, not real one? Some people might think that VO is cheating them, because everybody else offers real space, not allocated space.
    You'll find many VO resellers are successful selling both the 50/50 and Bulk plans. Good luck with whoever you decide to go with though, and be sure to come back here and give us a review after a few months
    VO doesn't support any more 50/50 plans.

John,

As far as your second point, I really dont have much to say about the first, VO had previously (a month or two ago) had 50/50 packages only. Now that they have bulk, that have allowed those resellers who have the 50/50 package to continue selling them.

mchost all the way

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast