What would you pay?

In an effort to provide more affordable dedicated servers, Cyber World, Inc would like to ask the people on this board a few questions. Before I start, I posted this here because it is an ad for our services, but it will not contain prices.

1) We offer Windows and Linux Dedicated Servers. The Windows servers cost a bit more on the monthly. Do you think this is justified?

2) We will start offering our Control Panel with our Windows Servers. It is located at http://www.cwiservices.net. What would you pay for such a control panel?

3) Our bandwidth is hosted on Time Warner Telecom and XO. They are both high quality providers. What would you pay per 100GB per month for such bandwidth?

4) We usually offer only rackmount servers, hence our set-up fee is usually a bit higher. We are now going to be offering tower servers to lower our set-up fee. What is the highest set-up fee you will pay for any server?

5) With the Linux Servers, we do not offer any Control Panels at the moment. Do you think adding Cpanel should cost more? It does cost us for each license, so take that into consideration.

Finally we will be adding on value added services at no additional costs monthly or to the set-up.
    Features like:
    MRTG Port Monitoring for Bandwidth reports
    Network Monitoring of the server and its services, with emails sent to the email of your choice.
    For Windows servers, keeping the servers up to date with all patches and Service Packs.
    Emergency Contact Email Address that goes out to cell phones and pagers, with a 5 minute response time to your emergency.
    All servers will have remote reboot capabilities. This will be done by our Network Engineers. We are willing to consider giving the customers remote reboot access as well. But this depends on the equipment that will be used.

So in conclusion, we would like the input of members of this Webhostingtalk.com community, so that we can better serve the needs of such individuals. We advertise many other places like Hostsearch.com and so on, and we get great results, but we feel that we need to find a way into the lower priced Dedicated Server Market.

Regards,
    Last edited by E-Insites; 10-02-2002 at 08:32 PM.
    Alvin Slocombe
    E-Insites - "Web services, simplified."

You probadly have to beat rackshack prices on linux boses to get anywhere anymore everyone goes to them.

Nice handle!

Yeah well, we kinda figure we have to, but at the same time we get plenty of customers ordering who say they would rather pay more for better services and bandwidth.

Thanks for the commment.

Regards,
    Alvin Slocombe

Originally posted by alfturtle
    Nice handle!

Yeah well, we kinda figure we have to, but at the same time we get plenty of customers ordering who say they would rather pay more for better services and bandwidth.

Thanks for the commment.

Regards,
    NP it is comment not commmet by the way .,

Originally posted by TimIsnt15

NP it is comment not commmet by the way .,
    that's okay, it's linux BOXES not boses.

alfturtle:

It may not be a question of lowering your prices. Maybe it is more a matter of service/bandwith quality -vs- cost.

In other words won't smart consumers be willing to pay a slightly higher dollar for an improvement in the quality. Especially when using the product and finding it's either easier to use, offers better results and / or less headaches.

Perhaps incremental prices differences may not make much impact. It's the 30% and more price comparisons, that may make folks really start to think twice about that return on inverstment.

Personally, I think you run a pretty good shop that is priced just about right. Keep the quality and the flexability that you have. It's worth a few bucks more.

-webellian

Re: What would you pay?

Questions answered as best I can:

1) We offer Windows and Linux Dedicated Servers. The Windows servers cost a bit more on the monthly. Do you think this is justified?
    Of course it is justified. That's a standard. Goes without saying.

2) We will start offering our Control Panel with our Windows Servers. It is located at http://www.cwiservices.net. What would you pay for such a control panel?
    I don't do anything with windows servers so, I'm only including is question to be complete. I honestly have nary a clue.

3) Our bandwidth is hosted on Time Warner Telecom and XO. They are both high quality providers. What would you pay per 100GB per month for such bandwidth?
    Depends on what's coming in the package. Quality IS most important, but price is also a motivator, since we're all in this to make a buck or two. (three if we're lucky) Off the top of my head, I'd say $100...but that's a lowball figure, I know.

4) We usually offer only rackmount servers, hence our set-up fee is usually a bit higher. We are now going to be offering tower servers to lower our set-up fee. What is the highest set-up fee you will pay for any server?
    Generally I wouldn't want to see the setup higher than a month's rental. But that changes as the specs get higher. Higher setup and a lower monthly if cool with me, but I think I'm a bit different than most people around the market place these days.

5) With the Linux Servers, we do not offer any Control Panels at the moment. Do you think adding Cpanel should cost more? It does cost us for each license, so take that into consideration.
    This is a major consideration when I'm looking at a server. I like to see a company that can offer a nice price for Cpanel. I'm sure others feel the same way with their panel of choice. It doesn't have to be included in the price of the server, of course, but it's nice to be able to add it for a reasonable fee. (less than $50)

My own personal observations:

I like to see set prices. I don't like haggling. I like a usable amount of bandwidth for my purposes as a host. This is more along the lines of 1mbit rather than 100 gigs. I don't like to be nickel and dimed to death on IPs and upgrades. I like to see upgrades as a one time fee (even if it's a high fee. I don't begrudge a provider making money in the least, but not monthly for upgrades)

IMHO, the hole in the market lies not at the very low end, where everyone is trying to compete, but at the $250 - $350 a month range. If you can provide decent spec servers in that price range, I, for one would consider you a more than viable option.

One more thought. Control Panel for Linux is an absolute must have. It a provider can't offer that, it's a deal breaker. It's got to have as much functionality as any of the best out there. (CPanel comes to mind.) Charge what your competitors charging for the panels.

-webellian

Thanks for all the input so far. We are int he midst of re-doing our Dedicated Server deals and thought that this was a good way to get input from people, and use it when making our changes.

TimIsnt15, sometimes my keyboard gets stuck, its wireless And I am sticking to that excuse

Regards,
    Alvin Slocombe

Ok, I must be stupid or something, I did not know that TimIsnt15 was the famous TimPD.
    Alvin Slocombe