Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Australian DC

faculty, stay with DV2. They are cheaper and at the end of the day less headaches. I can understand though, why you MAY want an Australian server and bandwidth as an extra package.

Availability is the problem with dv2.

I would have half thier DC worth of servers by now if they had let me.. but they never have servers free.

If I manage my own DC, I would have as many servers needed and fixing ANY problem would be much faster than sending a support email which can take ages to get a response from.

but they never have servers free

Strange, cos I just recently got offered a deal on some, due soon. P111's

Naw I deal with eservers.biz

Apparently partners of dv2 have to pre-purchase the servers and then sell them? I dunno..

But eservers dont have them.. transact do.. however, eservers said I would be the first to know when they have a few more servers (I buy another server each time they come out)

And another issue is IP space.. if I had my own IP block it would be nice.. cause right now I am suffering from an IP shortage - no thanks to ARIN.

I think you should change your supplier to TRANS.

I belive Webcentral http://webcentral.com.au have a datacenter here in oz they may be able to do something for you.

Why here in Australia? Its so much cheaper/faster in the US.

Also your local isp may be able to plug you into a backbone here but expect to pay for it.

Yes, Managed and Un-managed Servers and bandwith costs are considerably lower, price wise, in the US. This stands to reason when you consider the US is the HOME of this technology and also the competition is greater and the client base is HUGE!

The reason I want it in OZ is because I wish to run it myself, having access to servers, etc. and because I live here.

I dont intend on moving to the U.S.. ever.

As for the market.. well if you consider how many companies want a server located within AUSTRALIA.. but dont want to sign HUGE contracts with optus, telstra, etc.. then you have a big market

There is also MUCH competition in america.. to much for my liking..

There is not much competition for Australian based hosting (servers based in Australia) though.. I mean there is some.. but not as much and as you can imagine things run a lot faster for Aussies when it is on their network

I can understand your reasoning. Many clients within Australia may prefer a locally provided server base. It is a shame that control of the services is in the hands of only two or perhaps three providers. If it was like the US, where there are a considerable number of bandwidth suppliers, the high costs would not exist.

True..

Which brings me to future planning..

One day, maybe just one day, I will get enough money backing to have a carrier from the US to bring their lines to australia and introduce yet another backbone.. but hopefully remain pricing for that of the americans but here in australia?

This would probably put Telstra out of business.. at least it would attract a HUGE customer base

I think you'll find that that is already in the "PIPELINE" pardon the pun. The US telcos are already sniffing and have agreements in place.

Well I hope they come soon I wouldn't mind a cogent like connection on the Aussie network.. Australian network is gooood

Well for Aussies anyways

I think its going to take a lot more than more providers to lower the cost of bandwidth. The problem is, that it takes so much fiber to get to city to city, thats whats driving the costs up in Australia. I think that more providers will lower the costs, somewhat.. however it will be quite a while till we see the prices that we do in the US or anywhere else for that matter.

Mmmmm...Cogent! Yumm!
    COMPUTERS CAN DO THAT?
    http://www.computerscandothat.com

Hi faculty...

You still going ahead with your plans on the Australian DC? That is good, im still also doing my research and bothering the bank..

One thing to remember mate is after you got the bandwidth then what?

Racks, routers, switch, cabling, power, power back ups, firewalls, monitoring, Noc equipment, staff, secuirty building etc.

The bandwidth will be the least of your spending at this time.

And for a solution from Multiple providers you should contact a company that i currently forgot there name.. They look for the best deal and solution for you.. They also have there own DC etc.

What i mean is they will give you a quote for the connections from multiple providers but you like buy it at a little better price because they are resellers and they get better bulk discounts on bandwidth etc.

I will re-post if i remember there name.. i left the business card at work.. and im a nice guy and like to pass on my research.

Kind regards
    Phillip
    www.SURRENDERONLINE.com.au
    Perfect Solutions Every Time! Sydney Based :: Dedicated Servers :: Colocation :: Superior Support::Reseller Solutions

Cogent 100 mbps connection $1k p/month USD

Optus ethernet 80 mbps connection $20k p/month AUD

Amazing price differences..

Spose the difference for australia is that we dont usually count upstream as data usage - hopefully it will stay this way

Yes, I have counted for all other costs.. I am written up a plan before I do anything

Originally posted by faculty
    Cogent 100 mbps connection $1k p/month USD

Optus ethernet 80 mbps connection $20k p/month AUD

Amazing price differences..

Spose the difference for australia is that we dont usually count upstream as data usage - hopefully it will stay this way
    That Optus quote can't possibly include data.

Don't think AU companies are used to the whole full-use-of-connection thing.
    Andrew Walenczykiewicz
    StyleMy.com

Not to sure - the rep didnt contact me today

But the Optus dude said a 80mbps connection at $20k p/month seems like the going rate..

I know you pay something like $0.10 p/mb downstream from the connection.. but all upstream is un-counted/free.

7-10cents per mb down sounds right. There is that outgoing:ingoing ratio however. So you would be paying something per outgoing gb.
    Andrew Walenczykiewicz
    StyleMy.com

Nope..
    According to the people at Optus, all outgoing transfers aren't charged.

Quote: "Outgoing transfers are not included in fee's so they are basically free."

I will find out all there is to know about it when the Rep contacts me..

This is not optus cable BTW - it is ethernet services for ISP's.. up to 1000 mbps bandwidth rates can be accessed thru these lines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast