Wierd Computer Problem

About 2 weeks ago out of the blue my computer started acting up. It was wierd because I didn't open an email or do anything to my computer.

The computer freezes every time after 1-10 minutes of use. The cd-drawer opens, and the computer is very slow. I noticed half the time it freezes the cd busy light is on.

I immediently thought virus. I scanned in safe mode after downloading the latest definitions, it found nothing. So I restarted and it did the same thing, very slow, cd drawer opened, and the computer eventaully froze.

I have been told my 2 people that if I refomat that might fix the problem. Do you guys agree with that? Has anyone had the problem before? I'm completely lost on what happened to my computer and have no idea what's wrong or how to fix it.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Maybe you should stop using your cd drawer as a cup holder...

Yeah I would say do a format and reinstall.. stuff like that happens all the time.. atleast with windows it does.. have not have it happen to *nix yet but my windows to nix pc's have been outnumbered 10/1..

Originally posted by OKIHost
    Yeah I would say do a format and reinstall.. stuff like that happens all the time.. atleast with windows it does.. have not have it happen to *nix yet but my windows to nix pc's have been outnumbered 10/1..
    Really? I've used win 3.1, 95, 98, 98SE, ME, NT4, 2000 pro, 2000 adv server, and xp pro. I have never had it slow the computer down to a crawl and open the cdrom drawer. Slow the computer down, yes (but then again, *nix does that too if you use up enough resources).

Anyone else had this problem or know how to fix it?

Perhaps your computer is "owned" (hacked and under the control of a hacker). If this is the case, you might as well format your computer. You can also see what is running by pressing alt+ctrl+del and look for anything suspicous...
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

Nope, I have never come across this before. The best suggestion would be to format and re-install everything.

If it stuffs up again, well it might be a hardware problem then.
    Chinthaka Wickramaratna
    http://www.M6.net
    multi-account windows hosting packages

I must admit the CD Drive opening on its own is a new one for me but I am not surprised if it was due to the operating system needing to be reinstalled. Start with a newly formatted C: drive and reinstall from scratch. See what happens. Like chin said, if it continues then either there is a hardware problem or maybe a cable is loose. You may want to check that as well, although still unusual.

BTW, what operating system are you using?
    - Mark

Acually...remember that one program that ppl would load onto a system to take control of someones comptuer. YOu could do crazy stuff like open and close ppls cdrom drives...but i forget what its called...but i think it would have been caught by the virus scan..so maybe its a new advandced model you dont know about.

Sounds like netbus to me mate!!

I remember years ago back in high school we put it on the scool computers ... we had full access to everything including opening the cd rom drive.

Do a search for netbus removal on google and check it out.
    HostHeadQuarters.com
    Reliable Hosting
    Great Support

sub 7, back oriface and pc snoop will allow control like that too..

scan your ports and look for anything odd..... could mean an infection
    [url]I got nothing/url]

For clarity's sake, don't use "<ip address of hostname>" use the ACTUAL 32-bit numeric IP address of the machine.

Thanks guys, here's a list of programs running on startup:

Explorer
    Hpoevm07
    Hposts07
    Hpofxm07
    Hpodev07
    Hpoipm07
    Createcd
    Devldr16
    Imgicon
    Hpoopm07
    Directcd
    Navapw32
    Sk9910dm
    Systray
    Bcmdmmsg
    Winampa
    Ahatb

Anything strange?

It's important I think to note that this computer is on dial up and isn't connect but a hour or two a day, and hasn't been connected in over a day, the computer and surge protector are turned off. Also, it does not freeze in safe mode.

DANG DANG! DANG!!™
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

Look for a program called fprot, or use norton's boot virus scanner.

Boot with the cd rom so you are scanning without even being in safe mode.

You could, if you another workstation, pop the drive out and put it into another computer and scan it with fprot knowing for a fact the mbr has nothing to do with the dos or windows session on scan
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

I've been searching for a week, and cannot find anyone who's had this problem. I don't even know where to go for support because I have no idea what the problem is.

Right click on MyComputer icon and go to Properties. Delete the CD-ROM and reboot.
    Update the drivers for the CD-ROM.
    Disable the two CD creator program you've got running at startup. Both are Adaptec which is basically evil -- at least it has been in my computers. May be giving a false "recording finished" notice which automatically opens the CD-RW.
    If that doesn't do it, reformat. Easiest way to do that is to buy a new hard drive and put the old hard drive in a USB/Firewire portable hard drive case. Format the new hard drive and only load in what you need from the old hard drive. After a couple of months, when you're sure you've transferred everything you need, reformat the old hard drive and use it for backup.
    I really like the portable hard drives. I backup to them and keep them offline when I'm on the web and at startup. I've got three I swap: one for photos, one for backup and one that's the hard drive out of my old computer.
    Laura K.
    http://www.madmousergraphics.com
    graphic design for grownups