Customers Gone Wild...

Well... I thought i would share this with you guys..

We have a guy paying $199/mo for a server....

he gets all angry at us because his images arent showing on his website - claims they work on 2 other servers.... i look into it - he only uploaded the html files (which contain html that point to images like src="C:\windows\desktop\images\....jpg" = and the same with the links) but he didnt upload the images...

i tried explaining to him. He thinks that images are embedded in the HTML - so uploading just the .html will make images work - he wont accept that he has to upload images seperately...

next he wants me to install GPhoto for him. Its software for linux that gets pix of a digital camera and puts it on the computer.... one problem. He is using a pc and the camera is hooked to his pc, not our server. He wont understand this either... he insists that we install the software on the server so he can get the images off his camera at home...

customer comes first, put on a happy face and deal with it...

sorry to lay it on you guys, just thought we all have some stories...
    Avi Brender
    Reliable Web Hosting by Elite Hosts, Inc
    CPANEL Reseller Hosting - Fantastico - Rvskins - ClientExec

Buy a digital camera and humor him.
    -Mooneer
    Thoughtbug Software: Hosting shouldn't require any thought.
    Legitimate host? Support the Code of Ethical Conduct

Comes with the job - and as a customer I used to be worst

yea, i was probably no easy customer either - what goes around comes around...
    Avi Brender
    Reliable Web Hosting by Elite Hosts, Inc
    CPANEL Reseller Hosting - Fantastico - Rvskins - ClientExec

ugh! people that stupid shouldn't be alowed to use computers. :p

There are plenty of intelligent people that do not know how to use computers. I have talk to lawyers and doctors that don't even know how to turn one on. No-one has taken the time to show them how it is done. You shouldn't call them stupid maybe ignorant but not stupid.

sorry, but after seeing a book called Idiots Guide to Sex, i just lost all hope for Human's.

Originally posted by Abaddon
    There are plenty of intelligent people that do not know how to use computers. I have talk to lawyers and doctors that don't even know how to turn one on. No-one has taken the time to show them how it is done. You shouldn't call them stupid maybe ignorant but not stupid.
    Sorry, gotta disagree with you there, many of these people are STUPID.

ESPECIALLY the doctors. Once they get into the position, they decide they are "experts" at everything (especially when the facts are in their face and show completely different) and they can be so arrogent to disagree with anyone who doesnt cowtow to them.

(I used to work in a company doing support for the state Medical Society, and while some of the doctors weren't bad...MANY if not MOST of them were disgustingly closed minded to learning anything at all, as they already "knew" everything.)

Originally posted by ImLagging
    sorry, but after seeing a book called Idiots Guide to Sex, i just lost all hope for Human's.
    Anyone know where I can get a copy of this book. Ummmm.... its for my friend.

I use to support a local ISP and we had this one customer that just could not get it. He had a laptop that was for work and he would take it home and hook it up and use the internet. With every package we sent out the normal cd's back then it was just netscape and a dialer script. He called up furious. Ever since he installed our software his computer will not work right at home. His complaint was his laptop kept shutting off and was slow and was just not right as he put it. Well we worked off and on with him for two days, and finally i gave up and scheduled an in house visit. Keep em happy was always the first priority.. unsure of what i had gotten myself into i show up and start in on my work. He has his laptop plugged into a power strip, the phone connection and a mouse. So I start looking around and there are a few things he failed to mention. His display was dim and he got a low battery message right before his laptop shut off... DOH... Vital information had i though i should have drilled him on. So i trace it back and see the power supply had no power, i check the outlets, move the power supply and it works.. HMM i think to myself WTF.. I turned the power on, on the surge strip and it all started working fine again... He had nothing to say...
    MyGoto.com
    Hosting for all minds...

Ya know......

The customer is almost always right in this competitive industry that we all work in. Even when they are wrong.

Sure you got the guys who are absolutely certain that Netscape is still the primary browser that "most of the world is using" and there is nothing you can do, other than do the very best you can to please that customer or he will go find another service provider to complain to.

2cents
    ThePrimeHost LLC - Serving Websites Since 2001.
    Fully Managed VPS Hosting w/ Cpanel + WHM
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers w/ Cpanel + WHM
    Reseller Hosting with End User Support

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Web Hosting....

Just keep saying to yourself.....It's my fault....Customer always right...It's my fault....Customer always right...It's my fault.....

Well i got a potential client the other day, who decided my plans aren't priced cheap enough and wanted me to lower it to that of a competing host that he was thinking of going with.

We all should know what happened next, no? Well he did of course go with the competing host but at the same time insisted i still lower my prices.

YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Originally posted by net-trend
    Well i got a potential client the other day, who decided my plans aren't priced cheap enough and wanted me to lower it to that of a competing host that he was thinking of going with.

We all should know what happened next, no? Well he did of course go with the competing host but at the same time insisted i still lower my prices.

I bet he wanted unlimited too.
    -Mooneer
    Thoughtbug Software: Hosting shouldn't require any thought.
    Legitimate host? Support the Code of Ethical Conduct

Originally posted by Coran
    Welcome to the Wonderful World of Web Hosting....

Just keep saying to yourself.....It's my fault....Customer always right...It's my fault....Customer always right...It's my fault.....
    I have to disagree there. The customer ISN'T always right (especially with technical issues--lots of times they are dead wrong.)

However, they Always DO deserve courtesy and respect, and appreciation.

Well, don't crawl in it, let go. Of course you should pay your customers attention but hey there are limits. Let them go, I do...

Had a client that was set up for a 12 month plan with a 30 day cancel notice. Sent out an invoice for the next 12 moths, and then all h*ll broke, he emailed stating he had paid, he had not signed any contract, and if so someone else had done it, he didn't own the domain he wasn't the one that should pay etc.

I tried of course to explain how things work, the TOS etc. But it just got worse. So finally I said that he had 3 days to save anything he had on the server then I would terminate his account. That I did and now I haven't had a problem at all with this client. Why should I try to please him? Give him a free ride? No way, so there are limits to what extent you should crawl in front of the customer, abusive customer.

Nordic
    " How many bits on a byte..? - Depends on the dog!"

LMAO, this made my day, thank you!
    Marcus Brown

That might take the cake. LOL

i dunno i have one customer who ended his contract as of oct 1st but he wants us to leave his server online for two more weeks while he shops for another host that is "shell friendly". of course this is all our fault for not allowing ircds or shell servers on our networks.

some people just don't get it and no amount of trying to explain things will work.

Said stories.... I'm glad I haven't had similar experiences.
    Founder of TradeHolding.com B2B Network and OneLoveNet.com Singles & Dating
    >> Business Blog
    >> Business Links Directory

I had no similar experience cause when we see one of our customer is too stupid we just ask him to leave.

Our support desk is not aimed for frustated idiots. If they have only one problem, they forward to me and I explain the customer that he has to go away. Fast. That's all.

Customers nice with us say we provide the best service in the world. Customers bad with us say we are the worst company in the world. And we are proud of it.
    I sell nothing, I only buy

Originally posted by UmBillyCord

Anyone know where I can get a copy of this book. Ummmm.... its for my friend.
    hehe oh wait i think i've seen this somewhere... it's on my ftp server, someone must've uploaded it there