Seen this site yet?

This is pretty cool if you have any interest in how well your registrar is doing.

http://www.registrarstats.com/

Have you seen the stats of Verisign? -112964.

Does that mean they have lost that many domains this month?

Good site though.. eNom at number two.. good to hear!

Craig.
    GURU Cloud Hosting and Managed Dedicated Servers and Colocation at Centro, Hemel Hempstead.
    All supported by our own onsite team.

Have you seen the stats of Verisign? -112964.

I love this site for this reason alone; watching Net Sol and Verisign fail in real time.

I say within the next 5 years Netsol/Verisign will be a thing of the past At least that is my hopes and dreams

I strongly dislike (My mother taught me never to hate anything or anyone) netsol. They have screwed me in so many ways over different domains its not funny.

Tom
    DWS CENTER LTDA--http://www.dwscenter.com
    Web Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Low Cost Domains!!
    US, UK, Netherlands & Asia!!!

Originally posted by NiteHawk
    I say within the next 5 years Netsol/Verisign will be a thing of the past At least that is my hopes and dreams

I strongly dislike (My mother taught me never to hate anything or anyone) netsol. They have screwed me in so many ways over different domains its not funny.

Tom
    5 years?????? I'm surprised it hasn't happened by now...I give it 24 months max

Originally posted by bok

I love this site for this reason alone; watching Net Sol and Verisign fail in real time.
    It is just desserts, but what do you think the effect on the whole of the internet will be if/when the registrar side of Verisign were to fail profoundly?

To the downfall to Network Dillusions and Verislime ... do hope their SRSPlus follows as well.

We've had too many problems/lost customers thanks to them.

Not a fan of enom - have had a number of customers registered through us receive some pretty deceptive renewal offers originating from enom that they thought came from us. Cost us $ to get them back to our system. Pretty sad since they complained to ICANN that Net Sol was playing the game as well.
    Welcome to support ... Your site's down?
    Did you turn on your computer?
    Works now? ... hey, glad to help!

Originally posted by wth_0611
    To the downfall to Network Dillusions and Verislime ... do hope their SRSPlus follows as well.

We've had too many problems/lost customers thanks to them.

Not a fan of enom - have had a number of customers registered through us receive some pretty deceptive renewal offers originating from enom that they thought came from us. Cost us $ to get them back to our system. Pretty sad since they complained to ICANN that Net Sol was playing the game as well.
    Can you post an example of the deceptive renewal offers that enom sent? Verislime [LOL] are desperate, but I am concerned if enom have taken up similar practices.

I predict that within the next few years, enom will hit the number 1 slot... but before that, Tucows will be number 1.

Good link by the way

enom and godaddy will split the first place in no more than 2 years.
    Founder of TradeHolding.com B2B Network and OneLoveNet.com Singles & Dating
    >> Business Blog
    >> Business Links Directory

Oh, let us not speak some negative *prophecies* to the presently *good* registrars.
    He who hates correction will die. --Proverbs 15:10
    Jeffrey's Cute Blog | My stockphotos and illustrations

Originally posted by zoli
    enom and godaddy will split the first place in no more than 2 years.
    agreed. Enom and Go Daddy are registering far more then Tucows (50,000 per month) assuming these numbers are correct.

These trends echo the SOTD report for Q2 as well.

eNom's monthly growth rate has actually been much higher than GoDaddy's - however GoDaddy has been steady at about 5% per month. eNom has seen growth as high as 53% - though not in the last quarter.

What is most interesting to me is whether these numbers are sustainable. There is considerable speculation that these high numbers are driven by primarily by speculators moving their domains from higher prices registrars to eNom and GoDaddy, and not by intrinsic market growth. I'm not sure how these opinions are reached, and certainly there is nothing in the raw statistics that can prove this out.

It would also be interesting to know of the domains lost by Verisign, how many are simply dropped vs how many are transferred and to whom.

Is the actual pool of domain names stable - and moving from one registrar to another - or are the cheaper domain names driving a surge in the market.

Also interesting to note would be the domains with actual web content and not simply PPC or redirect pages. There are some who say that the web is currently shrinking, in spite of a large influx of domain registration at the discount registries. It might be interesting to see which registrars have the highest percentage of actual websites associated with them - and who is catering to the speculative market.

If history repeats itself, the speculative market will ultimately release the majority of it's domain names unused. Will speculators hold them longer for $7 a domain name than they would have at $35 a name and keep the pool of unused but registered names higher than it would have been? I would goess so - but it would only be a guess.

-t
    myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates
    http://www.myostrich.net

sotd.info

According to sotd.info, Verisign (NetSol) lost nearly one-fourth (yes, about 25%) of its domain registrations in just the first 6 months of 2002 alone. Cheers!
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Re: sotd.info

Originally posted by nameslave
    According to sotd.info, Verisign (NetSol) lost nearly one-fourth (yes, about 25%) of its domain registrations in just the first 6 months of 2002 alone. Cheers!
    The problem with this data as raw data, is we don't know how many of these were "delayed drop" domains and how many were active domains being moved away from NetSol.

Network Solutions had literally millions of domain names registered that had been expired and not deleted - some for many months or even years. There were some huge drops of these domains early in 2002, which certainly make the raw numbers for NetSol look very bad.

Since NetSol paid itself to carry these domains (Verisign the registrar paid Verisign the registry), there was no real cost to carry them on the books - so to speak. They were not generating any revenue, however they were not costing anything to carry either.

Though it is certain that NetSol continues to lose market share, it's tough to know what the value of their losses really amounts to in the total scheme of things.

-t

Can you post an example of the deceptive renewal offers that enom sent?
    No sure can't. These were postal mailings sent directly to our customers. They passed on the information to us after they found out they were switched advising us. Maybe another OpenSRS reseller here has a copy.

In follow-up, we received a call from Enom about 2 weeks ago inquiring if we were interested in their services. I took the call and mentioned that we wouldn't be interested. I brought up the issue regarding their renewal notices being sent to our customers by their company/resellers and that they were deceptive. After some verbal stumbling on the callers part, the reply was that their lawyers had reviewed them and did not see a problem. For me, that's all the confirmation I need.

Interesting:
    This site Copyright(c) 2002 eNom, Inc.. All rights reserved.
    Founder of TradeHolding.com B2B Network and OneLoveNet.com Singles & Dating
    >> Business Blog
    >> Business Links Directory

I am a big fan of Go Daddy and I have nothing but respect for eNom as they have come up with a pretty great business model with regards to their reseller ventures. BUT, this really amazes me and makes me lose some respect for what i thought was a great company, in eNom. I am currently writing a term paper on the Verislime, DROA, DROC and register.com marketing tactics to fool people in transferring their domain names (i.e. deceitful snail mail). My paper reflects my strong opinion about how this really scars the industry and does more bad then good. Again it really disappoints me that eNom would do this.

I thought Go Daddy and eNom would rise to the top by being legitimate, it is a great foundation to have the trust of your customers and meanwhile have Verisign and the others *f* themselves into bankruptcy......I hope eNom does not continue to do this; it will only hurt them in the long run.

But, on the other hand, it makes GD look that much better.

Remember that DROA/C/E are currently eNom resellers. They were OpenSRS resellers and were booted for business practices that went against the OpenSRS/Tucows business standards.

I have not seen any "false renewal" messages sent by eNom directly, but there are certainly examples of the DROA notices.

Here's a link http://domainscams.com if anyone cares.

-t

Thanks -t ...

I've seen the URL you provided but must have missed the Enom reference. I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer but can connect the dots. Would be a pretty far stretch in thinking Enom was not aware of the DROA activities.

In the bigger picture, shoud Verislime bite the big one, who takes over the .com .net .org registry management? They are the company contracted to maintain it. (which sure made it easy for Net Sol to obtain details for their domain slamming practices).

Originally posted by wth_0611
    In the bigger picture, shoud Verislime bite the big one, who takes over the .com .net .org registry management? They are the company contracted to maintain it. (which sure made it easy for Net Sol to obtain details for their domain slamming practices).
    ICANN would have to select another registry operator. I don't see this as every happening however. The WLS is going to make the registry millions of dollars a year in additional profit. I can see their registration business continuing to drop until they reach a sustainable level - but there are millions of domains that will always be at NetSol and there are certainly going to be enough to keep them afloat.

-t

It's too bad how true that is -t. Damn that WLS.

Originally posted by zoli
    Interesting:
    This site Copyright(c) 2002 eNom, Inc.. All rights reserved.
    Which site are you referring to? sotd? I couldn't see that at a quick glance...

wth_0611
    you could do us all a favour and get hold of one of those mailed enom renewal offers and let us see it... I have been with enom for a long time, but would be seriously pissed off if they start pretending to be Verisign... I know they approached larger resellers, in fact *I* even got an email, and we were already there.. but as for directly approaching other registrants a la Verisign.. that takes the cake.. I have not seen this before, or heard of it, so it would be great if you could get one of your customers to pass the letter on to you..

Which site are you referring to? sotd? I couldn't see that at a quick glance...
    That would be the one that started this thread. It apparently is owned/operated by eNom.
    you could do us all a favour and get hold of one of those mailed enom renewal offers and let us see it...
    Really no need to since the information found at http://domainscams.com makes it pretty clear (nice color pictures of the mailings).

When we lose a registration our internal OpenSRS notice indiates only the main gaining registrar (not a reseller name). In the cases I am referring to, all we saw was eNom. Review of an email from one affected customer indicates DROA was printed on the postal item they received.

Bottom line:

1- There is at least ONE court action against DROA regarding this practice. They are a reseller for eNom and unless eNom has their head in the sand, are well aware of the court action regarding said practices.
    http://dnessentials.com/news/reg092002.cfm
    http://www.atnewyork.com/news/article.php/1466061

2- DROA continues to be a eNom affilliated company/reseller (simply do a whois for droa.com) which I read to mean that eNom condones the practice .

I think you're assuming a bit too much there. As the mailings did not come from enom itself, the previous posts are incorrect. How they (enom) handle their resellers is one thing, but this is completely different than them (enom) sending out these mailings.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken

wth_0611

Well that's a far cry from what you said old chap.. an enom reseller doing this is NOT enom doing it, and that is what you were trying to tell us...

----end quote

And you have no idea what Enom are doing about this.. it would certainly be a matter for their lawyers, not their sales/admin team.

So you are basically publicly accusing enom of doing something that has been proven in a court action to be deceptive, when they have done no such thing.

If you have any evidence, show it, but don't throw your hat in the ring just for 'OpenSRS' effect.

One thing that is always clear is the level of loyalty that Tucows/OpenSRS extract from their resellers.. it is definitely a great achievement and does indicate that they are an excellent company to deal with.. but with enom currently treading in different areas, eg proposing to take on .org administration, I doubt that they will be doing anything at all that their lawyers haven't thoroughly checked.. so to say they are condoning these other idiots is a stretch of the truth at this point.

I do think, however, that Enom should let us know what, if anything, they are doing to deal with the DROA group, because they should shake them off ASAP, as OpenSRS did, to at least avoid any further negative commentary.

wth_0611,

eNom does not send out such notices. I would know. I do business and own domains with eNom and multiple resellers.

The Domain Registry of America is a reseller for eNom. eNom does not send out such scams. As the last two posts have stated (there may be more by the time I'm writing this), there's a big difference between eNom and eNom's resellers.

As for as eNom "knowing" what their resellers are up to, well, there's a lot of them as you can tell and the DRoC appears to be a relatively minor one that they're probably weren't tracking too closely. It will take them some time to catch up to speed on the DRoC's actions and then they will have a lot of legal consulting to do, I'm sure.

Please be careful in the future about trashing registrars because of their resellers actions. Unless you work for eNom, you really don't know what they're doing (and if you did, you shouldn't be telling). Thanks.

James Paden

I see your point and agree ....

Clarification on any past posts I may made:

I have no proof that eNom sent our customer's mailings directly

That being said ....

eNom continues to maintain the relationship with DROA, I interpet that to mean they condone the documented practices of DROA - or simply have no interest in how resellers conduct business under their ICANN accreditation.

A reseller's actions/policies should meet the approval/guidelines of the company they resell for. With domain name registrations, ICANN approved registrars are required to insure that resellers also work along stated ICANN policies.

Simply my opinion and I'm sure folks here can develop their own.

Good catch...

Originally posted by Xemion
    As for as eNom "knowing" what their resellers are up to, well, there's a lot of them as you can tell and the DRoC appears to be a relatively minor one that they're probably weren't tracking too closely. It will take them some time to catch up to speed on the DRoC's actions and then they will have a lot of legal consulting to do, I'm sure.
    Actually eNom has known about DRoA/C/E and their deceptive business practices for many months.

I can't find the reference any more, but they have also been identified as one of eNoms largest resellers, with tens of thousands of domains.

It will be interesting to see what eNom finally does with these guys - if anything. DRoC has proven they will file lawsuits as necessary; they are suing Tucows at this time.

Paul has been asked (see the DNSO mailing list archives) what he plans to do to here and has been completely silent...

-t

Verisign is sopposed to be recunstructing thier intire program. All I can say is for know they are more primitive then dos.

Everytime our customers need help changing dns they are the only company I have to say sorry you will have to figure it out yourself.

I called them a while back and they confirmed that they use the same software they used 1995, give me a break.

Personly I hope they go under

-Charles

Would be interested in knowing how DROA/C was actually able to process the hardcopy/paper registrar transfer requests they obtained as a result of their mailings. At the reseller level, I'm not aware of any method for this. Does Enom provide this function to resellers using their system?

As far as I know, no, eNom does not do that. I've done development work for several large resellers and I probably would know if there was such a method. My guess is that they did the requests by hand, I dunno.

I thought enom allows you to transfer-in either by fax or email verifying.

DRoA proberly just faxes the transfer requests they get back from people.

Yah, you're probably right blob. Forgot about that. That's not an extension of the reseller API, that's just a "normal" feature.

From the eNom website:
    "Fax
    This transfer type requires you to fax us a signed authorization letter. The authorization letter will be available for you to print upon order submission. All domains in a single fax order must have the same Registrant. "

That might be it.

Makes sense ... interesting. Thanks for the clarification.

I saved the snail mailings of both Domain Registry of America, and Verisign that I got. These were the only two companies that sent me these 'fake' renewal notices.
    I never got one from enom.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

Does anyone think enom would financially support this action too gain more domain names? Does anyone know the owner of DROA/C?

Can't Go Where I Never Left!!