Prioritycolocation.com requires redesign, exchange for reseller acct (1 year).

Ok,

Well, as you can guess, every other day i seem to get someone on AIM going "would you like for me to redesign your site for XXX$?". Every time i say no (obvious reasons i shouldn't even have to explain), but i've changed my mind. We are preparing for some chances in the services which we offer, and expanding to a new Data Center within a few months, and i think at the time we do this, it would be an excellent time for a site redesign.

Therefore, I now seek redesign, graphics work, and banners to be created for this change in service. What i give, depends on the quality of the design that i am offered. Specifically i am looking for an individual who is interested in a long term relationship with us in exchange for graphics and design work, who will be paid now in services, which are fairly highly sought after, but may be paid in cash at later times, depending which is more convinient for us.

We are specifically *NOT* looking for another knockoff design, i do not wish to have "banner at top, then plans, then some crap, then some fancy graphics that have nothing to do with your company, or your site" layouts. As you notice, currently our design is relatively unique, simple, and quick/easy to navigate, i'm looking for more work along these lines.

I've already had several offers for redesign in exchange for reseller accounts, but frankly, I can't recall who made which offer, etc. so it's just far easier to toss up a request. The majority of the work will be positioning and graphics, i can provide, write, and add in the content as need be.

Portfolio's are a must to some extent as i really dont want to agree for someone to start laying out a design, just so i can tell them "this isn't what i want" and have both of our time (namely theirs, as muttering a few words takes little of my time), and having an angry associate. If you're interested, or have any questions, please let me know .

Regards,

Myles

Whilst it's tactful of you to offer a reseller account as the reward to whoever completes your site, I'd like to advise you that as a designer (and I'm sure there are many like me), I have no interest in starting a hosting company or "hosting" my own clients. I find that as a designer, my talents are working with my clients to project the images they want to their customers. I don't want to go around the web hosting request forums to scour for $2 a month clients, I'd rather be designing. When I've needed the cash I have used reseller accounts provided to me by a previous client to scrape through certain troublesome months, and it has gone through my mind that a basic hosting company could provide me with a stable income however the time and commitment needed for that is far too much for my liking, especially considering the fact that I'm a web designer, with a design background.

If you were to offer a cash alternative, I'd be happy to send you a complete portfolio and testimonials. For some reason people seem to think that because designers don't spend money to provide their services, that they should be charities and do work for relatively low amounts of money, sometimes for nothing. That is hardly the case. As I designer I am proud of the fact that I am creative.

The templates and designs posted here, although a majority of which are particularly bland, often sell for much less then they should be. This is not just a WHT problem, but widespread across the net. I don't think we should be reducing ourselves to working for menial payment or in most cases worthless services.

This is of course just my point. I'm sure someone will throw their hat into the ring to design you a site and I am in no way detracting people from posting their offers. I just wanted to make my point, which I'll retract if you wish me to.

I think he was looking for a design not an opinion.

OKIHOST,

I did offer him my design services...

If you were to offer a cash alternative, I'd be happy to send you a complete portfolio and testimonials
    Before you take an aggressive tone, please note that you were not the starter of this thread. If Myles wants me to remove my original post, then I will as I have stated.

Fazel,

While offering money is what everyone wants, in a barter oriented trade, both parties have higher benefits. We provide a service which is in high demand, while many design companies are offering services which are in moderate to low demand.
    It just doesen't make much sense in my head for me to offer to pay people a few hundred dollars when i can just exchange a service we already provide in volume for the same result, and with approximately 20% of our redesign offers that were previously presented to me requesting an exchange of goods, it seems the most eliagable path.

Also to be considered, some people would like the exposure of having designed our site, and being a relatively popular provider on WHT, i think that will have a reputation benefit which would definatly benefit any designer who was interested. Again, if i felt like shelling out a load of $$$ to pay for a design, i wouldn't be looking on here, but i'd rather spend my $$$ buying servers, and then providing an exchange of resources for what we need in this case, in the future, i may not be available for the hassle, and just pay someone to do it, but from prior experiences, this is the way to go.

"some people would like the exposure of having designed our site, and being a relatively popular provider on WHT, i think that will have a reputation benefit which would definatly benefit any designer who was interested. Again"
    --------------------
    may be good for newbies but i dont think old and popular web development/designing companies can care about this cos when you pay they are going to pay back to their designers/programmers take example of us.
    no hard feelings
    Thank you.
    Last edited by TripleSoft; 10-02-2002 at 06:49 PM.
    Contact Triplesoft.net Online Web Development Company
    Aim: kodvavis
    email: [email protected]
    Http://www.triplesoft.net

Originally posted by TripleSoft
    "some people would like the exposure of having designed our site, and being a relatively popular provider on WHT, i think that will have a reputation benefit which would definatly benefit any designer who was interested. Again"
    --------------------
    may be good for newbies but i dont think old and popular web development/designing companies can care about this cos when you pay they are going to pay back to their designers/programmers take example of us.
    no hard feelings
    Thank you.
    *sigh* dont call us, we'll call you . Please do not email if you do not intend to read the thread in it's entirety. And yes, reputation benefits everyone, old and new alike. You can be the oldest webdesign firm in the world, but if you designed microsoft.com, you would be recognized for it, simple as that. Please do not pollute the thread if you do not have anything to offer.

well i just sent you my offer if you dont want to pay no problem you are free to go anywhere after all customers are the free birds but if when ever you changed your mind our company doors are always open for you.
    Have a nice day.
    Last edited by TripleSoft; 10-02-2002 at 07:18 PM.
    Contact Triplesoft.net Online Web Development Company
    Aim: kodvavis
    email: [email protected]
    Http://www.triplesoft.net

All these crap replies should be deleted. You people should be ashamed of yourselves.

Myles stated what he wants and what he's willing to trade for it. Nobody asked everyone to comment on the deal. If you don't wish to accept the deal, keep your mouth shut and move on to the next thread. Simple as that.

Originally posted by lightnin
    All these crap replies should be deleted. You people should be ashamed of yourselves.

Myles stated what he wants and what he's willing to trade for it. Nobody asked everyone to comment on the deal. If you don't wish to accept the deal, keep your mouth shut and move on to the next thread. Simple as that.
    Totally Agree

I agree with you lightnin

I agree as well (I guess I am disrupting his thread also).

I think barter is a great way for two service companies to benifit each other than with monetary exchange.

porcupine, I think you will get the design that you are looking for with the offer that you have made, maybe not here because you have so many cynics. If you don't get any bites I would post either on Yaxay or on sitepointforums. I am not try to advertise those forums, I just have had good luck finding good designers there.

Tracy Phillips

Thanks Weberz,

I'm sure some of the initial people who offered me design months ago will see this and come up with a suitable offer. I fail to see why theres any arguement at all on this issue, simply because we provide a service which is in relatively high demand, and is known to be among the best, whereas webdesign firms are faltering, and provide a service in extremely low demand compared to production (typically because they expect too much coin for bad designs).

I'll check both those forums if i have no luck though, never dealt with either, but im sure if you say they're good, they are

whereas webdesign firms are faltering, and provide a service in extremely low demand compared to production (typically because they expect too much coin for bad designs).
    I don't agree with this at all. True there are substandard designers on WHT, there are also many that have true quality, and those are the people who have to accept reseller accounts or $20-30, for stunning design work. Web Design is not a service in low demand. Most companies change their designs every six months, most new companies need a design when they first launch. Design is a big part of the internet and it doesn't make sense that we should give up hours of our time coming up with designs and then being paid in a commodity we don't need.

some people would like the exposure of having designed our site, and being a relatively popular provider on WHT, i think that will have a reputation benefit which would definatly benefit any designer who was interested.
    This is quoted from you, not me. Myles I'm sure you would have come up with a design yourself if you could manage it, but you haven't... designing is a skill, one that needs a respectable payment for. No-one's asking for $$$$'s from you, If you are so successful than surely paying the designer with something a little more respectable than a reseller account can't be too much burden for you. I can understand a new web host doing offering something similar, but you are in a completely different position.

All I would request is a payment with the ball park figure around $300-400. That's not a hell of a lot of money. Again if you can see the logic in my words and want to see what I can do, please email me.

I can get a reseller account elsewhere for $4 a month. only offering a cheapo reseller account you're only going to get a cheapo poor design.

but that isnt so bad
    even a poor design would be a step up from what you have now

Yep, it's an unbalanced trade.

Porcupine, I might consider a dedicated server with 150 gigs of transfer, not just a little reseller account.

Just bartering....
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

Originally posted by Samuel
    Yep, it's an unbalanced trade.

Porcupine, I might consider a dedicated server with 150 gigs of transfer, not just a little reseller account.

Just bartering....
    ... I'm offering one of the upper end reseller packages for a year. No offense to designers, but i've already got the content, i've already got a functional layout, i just need graphics and re-arranging done, and im not willing to fork over a 2-4k/year configuration/system for a weeks worth of work, if you make more then 100k/year in design, thats great, but i dont value design work so much that i'd give $2,000+ of resources for maybe 30 hours of work.

Anyhow, as stated before, if you're not interested, please do not pollute my thread, i've had a few interesting replies, and will likely utilize one of the designers from there, a few have had reasonable requests, like a few months on a server, or dedicated servers/colocation at discount, and that is also not a problem.

And fazel, webdesign seems to be the very oversaturated market, you even stated so yourself previously in the thread, theres many starving artists out there, and they effect the economy of what you do, simple as that. If you're not one of them, then thats great, if you have no use for a nice reseller account for a year, then thats also great, then just dont respond to the offer/request .

LOL

Seriously people, if your not interested in what he has to offer, then don't respond.

Myles,

Have you considered Jeff @ Acky? I'm aware your not interested in monetary exchange, but he's relatively fair with his pricing and won't charge you an arm and a leg.

Just my 10 cents, my 2 cents is free!!
    Devon Dunham (Owner, Sharpnet/DDoS Host)
    Advanced DDoS Mitigation and Server Management Solutions

Protecting your online infrastructure.

Est. 1998.

Actually im taking the time to review the offers i got , i saw a few nice ones. The problem with the bulk of them is the fact they dont understand the "same old design" concept i speak of, i dont know how they cant understand it, because its so transparent.

It goes Horozontial banner, Thin horozontial menu, 3 vertical columns for main page, then horozontial banner (or no banner)/menu at bottom......

Anyhow, i got a few offers where the user had designed more unique pages, and will likely go with one of them .

Ahh, great. I can't wait to see your new site.
    Devon Dunham (Owner, Sharpnet/DDoS Host)
    Advanced DDoS Mitigation and Server Management Solutions

Protecting your online infrastructure.

Est. 1998.

I don't know why people are complaining about a reseller account. I am definately going to send him some things.
    Hostime Managed Hosting
    Opening the bridge between your business and the world.
    http://www.hostime.com

Wait, i will reclarrify what i said. If your not interested, than don't say anything.
    Hostime Managed Hosting
    Opening the bridge between your business and the world.
    http://www.hostime.com