FDCservers speed?

Hi,

I have a server with them and I am getting very poor speed, both up and down stream..

It rarely exceeds 40KBps up/down and is very unreliable. It will sometime go very low.. Most of the time I have the impression that the server is connected to nothing more than a cable modem...

Right now it is receiving data at a mere 4 KBps..!

This is quite ridiculous. I am on the shared bandwidth plan. I am interested to know if I am the only one with such low speeds.. what speed do you get from your server at fdc?

Anybody knows if the guaranteed feeds are a good deal or just another scam?

Also, I read in another post that they will be bringing in a second provider in a little while. Anybody knows if this will improve the performance of all their customers? Maybe bummer could answer this one.

I was able to, momentarily, push out 13mbit/s outgoing bandwidth last night.
    My max was around 26mbit/s (i run a software mirror)

I use bandwidth in short bursts often, and i'm pretty much always able to push out at least a few mbits.

hehe sounds like your on the same hub as my friends box i heard the dedicated feeds were good but havent experenced them myself
    C Code. C code run. Run, code, run...
    Segmentation fault (core dumped).. aww sh!t

clockwork: are you on the standard plan or the "guaranteed" thing?

you are very lucky. My box is awfully slow and the very max I can hope for is 1 mbps.

Considering the box is supposed to be on a shared 100 mbps line, this means there is like 100 other servers on the same line. Or it means I am not getting my "share"..

any other experiences?

smash, you must be on the same circuit as clockwork... that would explain a lot.

Well I currently do not have a server located there but here is few things I noticed from on there site.

They had a 14.3mb file test on there site so I tried it out as I might using there remote date storage service. At first I used my download manager (star download) to download it and get a would get time out error.Most of people I would be sharing those do not know how to use and ftp program.Well I then decided to copy the url to put it on my web browser address bar and it download and I downloaded what seemed instantly which was unexpectly fast.My usualy top speed for download is 60kb/sec and but the last few days my all my downloads are going around 90kb/sec.Well I decided to wait a few minutes and try again this time it was download on average 88kb/sec which still is pretty fast.

Well the webpages to seem load pretty fast.The only ploblem I had loading webpages is after I load a webpage and then click on a link and have it open to new window and does not seem load ever finish the webpage.I think that is not ploblem with server or bandwidth but believe that ploblem is with webpage code because if click on link and do not have open to new windows it loads fine.

AFAIK, I'm on the standard plan.
    I got a pretty nice deal.

I do, however, get hit with random packet loss (sometimes *very* severe) and quite a bit of downtime (network).

The hardware has been fine for the past few months, and i'm hoping it stays this way.

I think they simply have too much straining their network

Well, I've sent them an email yesterday asking them if they could do something about the poor network speed I am getting. Still no answer, that does not surprise me.

their reputation as below everyone in its class exceeds itself far to much. You cant have 200 servs on a 100mbit and expect it to zoom. My $0.02: Stay the hell away from FDC servers. I wouldnt be caught dead with a FDC serv, hehe.
    Rave5 Web Solutions
    http://www.rave5.com

I signed up round the same time as Clockwork with FDC. I used to get reasonable speeds (mostly just under 1 MB/s), but then just before the Summer, speed gradually went byebye. By July I was unable to avarage more than 40 kb/s incoming and outgoing. I spent 3 months trying to work with FDC to get the speed up again, to no avail. Add this to a few other mayor issues I had with them and I ended cancelling the server (and it was a nice piece of hardware too )

Never used their service before. But look like they oversold their bandwidth. But look at their price. It is damn cheap. You really shouldn't complain.
    Last edited by Josh C.; 10-04-2002 at 06:25 AM.

No you cant complain for the price.

They're not much cheaper than rackshack these days, with all the RS specials going on you could actually say they're more expensive than rackshack, so is it a crime to expect a network that is about the same quality as RS (I'm not talking about the number of providers used, just about speed and packet loss...).

Well, I finally received an answer from them after 2 emails.

I don't know what they did, but within minutes of receiving an answer, I could reach about ten times the speed I was able to reach before.

So right now I can't complain anymore and I am happy with the service. The speed is still not as good as 3-4 months ago but very acceptable.. I've been able to reach 8 mbps and might be able to do even better.

I hope it stays that way, otherwise I won't go through all this again and I'll simply take a reliable provider.

Aren't they adding another line?

that's the million dollar question at the moment. supposedly they're choosing which provider to use at the moment.

however, if i think it would only be just for backup purposes? But, hopefully this shows that FDC will eventually begin mixing in non-cogent bandwidth into their network.

my speeds are still excellent, although, these little 15 - 20 minute downtime hiccups every day is a noticable pain in the ass.

Originally posted by Neo3Net
    Aren't they adding another line?

I have a P4 1.8 on 12mbit unmetred for $399/m from another provider - and I haven't had a second of downtime - I dont understand where FDC go wrong