Talking Could you give me some advice and feedback

Hi everyone,

Need some advice on the below sites. Layout, color, etc. anything that you don't like about it.

Thanks in advance.

1) This is a Hosting site.

Url: www.boomhost.com

2) This is a Web Design site, please ignore the "created by coffee cup fire starter nag thing" as I am just testing the software and will redo the animation in either Flash or Swish later on.

Url: www.maniwin.com
    WHO AM I? CLICK HERE!

Hey guys & gals,

I received quite a number of page views but none commented anything.

I desperately need some feedback on my work and really appreciated some help so I could improve myself. Thanks for any help.

1) Web Hosting site.

Url www.boomhost.com

2) Web Design site

Url www.maniwin.com

BTW, I yesterday design a 15 page for my latest 32nd customer, took me the whole day. They wanted something simple but with dropdown menus. Could you have a look and let me know whether it's too empty or should I add more photos to jazz it up?

The client is paying me $250.00 per annum as a package deal which includes free domain name, hosting space, web design and updates for 15 page and additional page at $15 Do you think it's too cheap?

Url www.ablecopier.com

Any feedback or help is very much appreciated on any of the 3 sites.
    WHO AM I? CLICK HERE!

Hi.
    Boomhost: Overall, I like it. The little outline squares around the right side of the screen seem a bit overdone. Other than that, it was easy to navigate and appealing. Very nice and thorough FAQs, by the way! I always like to see that. Content also well displayed

Maniwin: Although the design layout isn't bad, the colors really got to me on this one. They don't seem to blend well with each other. The darker blue and the header is nice, but the other colors appear to clash and look too "old school," if that makes sense. (The aqua box in the center is mostly what I'm referring to here.) The actual content is good, as is the portfolio.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Good. Maybe a little more info on the homepage will help.

Thanks Jtru,

boomhost.com:
    Yeah, I agree it looks ugly, will remove it now from the main page and make it a white background.

maniwin.com:
    Actually it's more targetted for the local market, where Asians are more inclined to bright colors and love it than their counterparts in other countries where it will be a disaster to implement such colors and not acceptable by most.

Thanks again, Jtru for your kind reviews and appreciate it very much.

regards
    WHO AM I? CLICK HERE!

about boom host ... the site is ok . but I don't somehow like the LINK colours and shading .. the yellow is too screaming .. !!
    also put in a oops.htm and a thankyou.htm for the FormMail . as it currently displays the default one by Matt
    http://www.featuredhost.com | mailto: [email protected] | ASP.NET-MS SQL-Cold Fusion hosting| Cheap domain registration | MSN : [email protected] |

I didn't think of it, will do something about providing more info on the main page to instill confidence to prospective customers especially for the web hosting site...Thanks matrix28 for the suggestion.
    WHO AM I? CLICK HERE!

Oh my bad %^&* missed out on that ForMmail default page. Will update it soon. Regarding the css "LINK" colors, Hehe, probably will tone it down using less distracting one.

Thanks for pointing out the Formail which I totally forgot.

Thank you flashgear, much appreciated.

Regards
    WHO AM I? CLICK HERE!

no probs... u also just replied to my Books thread
    it's just that i been working woth FormMail so much , i can sense it with my eyes closed
    http://www.featuredhost.com | mailto: [email protected] | ASP.NET-MS SQL-Cold Fusion hosting| Cheap domain registration | MSN : [email protected] |

Originally posted by cactus

maniwin.com:
    Actually it's more targetted for the local market, where Asians are more inclined to bright colors and love it than their counterparts in other countries where it will be a disaster to implement such colors and not acceptable by most.
    anything to back that up?

Don't know of any, but look at all the festive season/celebrations/New Year of Asian countries, very colurful. Just my asian instinct.

Regards.
    WHO AM I? CLICK HERE!

I've just gone back and had a second look at Boomhost. Much better without the little squares. Looks great! Nice job.

Talking

Thanks for for helping out Jtru and taking the time to review it again.

Regards.
    WHO AM I? CLICK HERE!

Hmm... The yellow boxes are a bit vibrant for my liking..
    http://www.pixelphase.net/

Agreed PPjohn, it has been mentioned twice already and it definitely signals a bad choice of yellow to use. Will change it to a more soothing color when I have time as it requires more work to update the site

Thanks all for your kind and generous sharing of ideas and advice, I wasn't expecting sooo.. much help and appreciated it very much for this enlightening brainstorming session with all you guys/gals and it will very much help me to improve myself from the lessons learnt here today and will cherish it for a long time..

Regards
    WHO AM I? CLICK HERE!

I can't say I'm overly thrilled with the colours on Boomhost - not my personal choice. But at the end of the day a homogenous design for all sites would be plain boring. What you've got works - it's clean and fast, and it sticks out in its own personal way.

Prices, though - take at least 1 cent [maybe 5] from all prices - you're missing a common marketing trick. It's the first figure that people remember. For example, people tend to remember a figure like "$4.95" as "somewhere in the region of $4" - but do exactly the same for "$4.00.

I swear, if you knock just 1 cent off every price, people will think all services are a dollar cheaper. 5 cents is more convincing, tho'.

Talking

Good idea I, Brian, regarding the marketing tip on pricing but I am already commited to some clients and don't want them to feel cheated thinking they are paying more and lose them.

Thank you I, Brian for that tip. I sure will remember it the next time round for new pricing.

Regards
    WHO AM I? CLICK HERE!

Hi guys,

Instead of starting a new thread, I will just use my old thread quite a while back where I asked for a review.

Looking at the page which was quite static, except for some small animation at the header section, I thought that adding a little bit of Flash slides at the top-right corner would spice up the site.

The Flash slide movie now has only 1 image but I intend to add 2 or 3 more to it as soon as I can think of suitable ones.

Url: www.boomhost.com

What do you think? Should I use the above flash or have a static one like this:

Url: www.boomhost.com/index1.htm

Any advice/comments appreciated. Thanks
    WHO AM I? CLICK HERE!

Originally posted by cactus
    Looking at the page which was quite static, except for some small animation at the header section, I thought that adding a little bit of Flash slides at the top-right corner would spice up the site.
    Some commentary....

Part of being a good artist is the ability to make a page "move" without animation. Remember in the days before computing and TV/Movies artists had to make 2D illusions that could fool the viewer (went from perspective in the 15th century, to opt art in the 20th century).

The task for modern day artists is not who has the flash-est site, but who can make the best static site that flows without animation (and can make the smallest file sized images with the most color!).

I wonder if there's any artists left in web design, or has the programmer taken over? Personally the artists should do the image work, and the web designer do the HTML/XML and such. That way both can concentrate on their speciality. Few can master both effectively -- and it's showing with the quality of most designs online (it pales what's in print and on TV).

Chris
    Of the old paste up and pica ruler art set.

Chris,

Yes there are artists left in the world. I feel that I happen to be one. I strive for the things that you had mentioned.

I do call myself a designer though for the reason is that if i dont know what the programmer is going to do then that effects my art.

I can make the greatest artful site but if it is a nightmare for the coder then I truly have accomplished nothing. There is a fine line that is walked by good designers that straddels art, design, form and function.

There is always the wonderful client that when you have turned out a site that as an artists you feel is great, the client will interject what he feels the site needs.

There are a great numbe of sites that are out there from some very talented artists. Yet a great number of them are starving at the same time.

This is an age old drama that will never be concluded, does the artist produce for them? or the masses that will feed them?

As a designer I have found that I need to produce for the user, keeping the clients wants and needs and then tossing in my own artistic creativity into the mix. I usaly end up not being the happier of the 3 but then again a $15,000 project over 30 days isnt to bad either.

Chris,

Thanks for that good advice. Frankly, I can't even draw a straight line and need some tools such as a common ruler to draw on paper a really perfect straight line and for web designs using any good graphics software that I can find or use to cover up for my poor artistic skills.

But what I lacked as an artist, I try my best to make up using my visionary eyes and those wonderful graphics software to help me to duplicate anything that I find useful whether it's art, color or photography for web designing purpose.

On Topic, yes I do agree with you that getting a good result or a nice layout/design without using animations/Flash can be achieved with good artistic work and skills, but unfortunately many of us don't have that quality especially in web designing and opt for the next option, using all those graphics software that do the job for us for a price tag.

Tranz,

As a designer I have found that I need to produce for the user, keeping the clients wants and needs and then tossing in my own artistic creativity into the mix. I usaly end up not being the happier of the 3 but then again a $15,000 project over 30 days isnt to bad either.
    I fully agreed with you, it helps put food on the table, and considering the web designing clients you are charging, Wow, I am sure you will be laughing all the way to the Bank.

Anyways, I have seen much of your work(Showcase/Reviews) here at WHT and I have great respect of your professional skills at web designing and experience.

Okay guys, one last request from both of you. Please tell me which one should I use for my web hosting site?

www.boomhost.com OR ww.boomhost.com/index1.htm

Thanks and much appreciated.

Regards
    WHO AM I? CLICK HERE!

If that's just you dabbling with some graphics programs, I'm impressed, Cactus. Not bad.

I checked the boomhost site, and my only comment is to lighten the gold color. It's dark and makes the site have a "grudge" appearance (the black text can't be clearly seen on that background color). A lighter gold color would do.

Bright colors give a lively appearance. Folks are also willing to buy if the site shows the owner is paying the light bill.

Not bad, not bad at all. Keep on trying and you'll hit the right balance in time (and save money in the end).

You know when you do have the right mix, is how your unique page hits increase even after a week a new template is introduced (and if it's really good, how many repeat visits you'll get -- the competition is sizing your site up. Nothing better than flattery for advertizement!).

Chris

Cactus,

I would go with the static site. The flash doesnt really add to the site.

Funny that the server is in Miami as I am in Orlando.

Thanks a lot guys,

I have taken note of the weakness and preferences and will do some adjustments over the weekend when I have some free time.

ChrisLM2001a,

Thanks for the kind words Yes, I like experimenting with these graphics softwares and creating things and pushing the limits of these softwares until they just hang and I look for another one to play with.

Tranz,

I am a reseller, and the server is owned by my host provider where they have it located in Miami. I will be using the static site as recommended. You are right, it does not serve any purpose and will only bogged down the load time using the site with the flash.

Thanks to both of you for your time and kind reviews and I appreciate it very much.

Regards.
    WHO AM I? CLICK HERE!

Nice, neat and tidy
    LNXPS - C# XPS Library

The Sun Bingo -

Thank you matrix28 I am glad you like it. I tend to improve it further and hopefully will strike a right balance with the colors, layout, etc. I love all the reviews past and present that helped me on the right track.

To all of you. Keep up the excellent work.

Regards
    WHO AM I? CLICK HERE!