online - s'where between home & datacenter

Question Dedicated Win2k requirements

Hi,

What are the Basic Requirements of Windows 2000 dedicated server for point of view of hosting and reseller plans?

1) Windows 2000 .NET Enterprise (does it includes Frontpage?)
    2) Antivirus software
    3) Control Panel (does it included email solution?)
    ?? wat else?

Also who offer Win2K plans with lot features, they install what other softwares?

thanks

From what I have seen, usually the requirements are Access db's , ASP, and possibly PHP/MySQL. These are generally free with the O/S (or in the case of PHP/MySQL they are Open Source). A control panel is always good, and I wouldn't even consider using a server without one (a good control panel cuts down on server admin work a ton!). Other features that are sometimes required are MS SQL databases & Coldfusion. (These ones will cost you some bucks to install).

The more features you can provide, the better your packages will look to potential clients!

What do you mean by "Windows 2000 .NET Enterprise"? Are you looking for .NET Server or Windows 2000 Server? For most purposes Windows 2000 Server is fine. The additional features in Advanced Server or Datacenter Server are really only needed if you are looking for a 2+ CPU system or clustered systems. If you can afford it, MS SQL Server 2000 is a nice add on. I think that the minimum features for hosting are really are IIS, a POP3 server of sort, a control panel, PHP, Perl, and a SQL database server (MS SQL, mySQL, PostgreSQL, etc).
    If you can afford to wait, .NET Server is looking like a VERY nice option for hosting. It comes with a POP3/SMTP server, a control panel, and for once MS has decided to lock the system down by default and leave it up to the Admin to enable services. Unfortunately, it isn't supposed to be released until early next year.
    I hope this helps. Good luck in your venture!
    Chris Spangler
    [email protected]

ok.. but one query remains.. Frontpage support comes with this Windows 2000 .NET Server? I think not.. so approximately how much it cost?

For supporting Access database, do anything have to be purchades ? or its the ODBC thing?

Maybe it has been discussed, can someone give link to the good Windows Control panels, cheaper or free !

Frontpage Server Extensions are built into IIS. Which version of Windows are you looking for 2000 or .NET? .NET is the successor to 2000 and they have some major differences. One thing that could be confusing is that you can install the .NET Framework on Windows 2000, but this is not the same as .NET Server. As for supporting Access databases, the capability to query them is built into the OS. I think that you have to have MS Access to create them, though.
    As for control panels, about the only ones that I've heard of are Helm and H-Sphere. I don't have any URLs for them, but if you do a search on the forum there should be some information.
    I hope this helps.
    Chris Spangler
    [email protected]

thanks Chris for the input.

i'm looking for .NET version. does it needs multiple licences etc to be purchased for each user?

regarding MS Access, what i'm looking is if client copies his database on the server, it should be accessed by his .asp scripts... i don't know for this have to load any Win2K extensions or purchase something... Maybe Win2K comes with driver of Access to handle this.

thanks
    RockSolidHosting.US | reliable & affordable webhosting + domains
    Affordable shared / reseller hosting on Linux & Windows 2000
    Quality Bandwidth | 99.9% up | friendly support
    [Chat] yahoo: rshosting | AIM: rshos801 | [email protected] | ICQ: 219698679

Ok, .NET Server (currently in RC1, but due to be released in early 2003) comes with a built in control panel, POP3/SMTP server, and Front Page Extensions. I'm not sure on the licenses yet, but most likely you'll need to buy some. I think that there will be a "Web Server" version of .NET Server which may or may not have different licensing requirements.

As for MS Access, if that's all you're looking for, all you'll have to do is set up a DSN for each database and your clients will be able to access the database through the DSN without a problem. You won't have to load anything extra or buy anything to make it work.

I hope this helps.
    Chris Spangler
    [email protected]

Is there a URL for further information on the ".NET Server" specs?
    Jay Kramer - Operations Manager
    Affordable Colocation and Dedicated Servers
    www.colostore.com 1-877-719-3698

Originally posted by jkca
    Is there a URL for further information on the ".NET Server" specs?
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows.netserver has all of the publicly available information about it. There's also a link to a page where you can sign up to get a beta copy of it as well. Though from what I've heard it can take a while for Microsoft to get back to you about it. Hope this helps.
    Chris Spangler
    [email protected]