Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    With pings like that I think it's unlikely he'll see much packet loss using any number.
    justin 'at' abrogo.com
    http://www.abrogo.com
    Shared Unix Hosting

This is what I love about WebReseller, they do try their best to resolve issues.

Though, this is out of their hands, I'm sure all of you understand how fustrating it is, especially if you run a game server company with 3/4 AT&TBroadband customers.

p.s. make sure you check out the new WebReseller.net website, it's hot
    Ross Sherman
    ENVISION7.com

It seems like pings are starting to spike again tonight... Another harsh night, wonder how many clients i'll loose today...

ATT = crap

I've been having ping issues on the west coast on my UnitedColo boxes with ATT and Internap. Even though many of us on the west coast use Time Warner Cable rather than ATT Broadband Internet, our packets are still being routed through ATT. Pings have been crap for the past few days, with 200ms pings when it's normally 19ms due to ATT. UnitedColo was informed and I assume they informed Internap because the pings are better for some, but still crap for many others.

Originally posted by SynHost
    It seems like pings are starting to spike again tonight... Another harsh night, wonder how many clients i'll loose today...
    Mine have changed slightly, my average ping is up to 8ms, so I guess it is running slow tonight. (heh)

My ISP + level3 = fine
    ATT + level3 = bad

Seems like someone doesnt like ATT and since webreseller doesnt have any agreements with sprint, they really cant be held accountable.

(And I checked packetloss as well (400) and no, I am not losing any packets)

Well, I guess it's time for Webreseller to add another lines and get multihomed with BGP so if the ATT+Level3 route's slow, it can take the other faster route and the problem should never or rarely happen again in the future. So is everyone here agree???

no absoutely they should not go with bgp because it will slow down their network. Also bgp doesnt kick in unless a line goes down, am i wrong?

I have several servers there and i have never seen a network issue or performance issue.

usually yipes or level3 support are pretty good at resolving problems such as that. i had 2 experiences kind of like that with yipes and 3 with level3 in the past and i just emailed directly to support@yipes or support@level3 with my traceroutes showing the problems. they responded everytime within a day and it was usually cleared up in 1 - 3 days.

Looks like it's fixed

no absoutely they should not go with bgp because it will slow down their network
    can someone expand on this? how bgp/multihoming could/would slow down their network?
    Dedicated Servers at Steadfast Networks and Softlayer : Virutal Hosting at FutureQuest : VPS at FutureHosting

Originally posted by panopticon

can someone expand on this? how bgp/multihoming could/would slow down their network?
    it does'nt slow it down it makes it faster in most cases since it takes the quickest route or the one with least asn's or whatever so therefore instead of taking a path all around the us then back to you it may take 3 hops you see?

and if one went down it would pickup so there would be more redundancy and faster speeds i wish they would

goodness, I think we've already established that this is out of webreseller's control.. So in that case I've never had a network issue with webreseller either. We are just hoping because Level3 is their direct provider, they can help speed the process of getting it fixed.

SynHost, their "direct provider" is Yipes.

BGP4 does not make anything faster.

Actually in most cases it will slow things down.
    ---------------------
    "In the end you start thinking about the beginning"
    "You shouldn't take life to seriously, you will never get out alive"
    "Every Passing Minute is another chance to turn it all around"

NO1,
    Yipes is not truly a provider... Level 3, Genuity, and a third (coming soon) are the providers, Yipes only provides the ring and the guarantees to us..

* Still slow :(

no1v2,

The problem is not fixed yet, it still is very spiky, and high pings from 2pm-*. These problems do resolve themselves at night, and go away for around an hour, then they are back again.

Though, in the morning, I will ping a constant 50.
    Ross Sherman
    ENVISION7.com

i would'nt know but it sounds like an overloaded somthing or another for level3 or att

Originally posted by JBIZ718
    BGP4 does not make anything faster.

Actually in most cases it will slow things down.

Finally someone backed me up.

Would you rather have a blazing fast network that's not multihomed, or a slightly slower network that has true back up?

I'm curious as to what customers want as well. As an end user I would rather have a network with consistent 75ms pings over a network that has 40ms pings MOST of the time.
    Lowest priced electronics and game systems on the web. PS3, Wii, Xbox 360, iPhone, and more.
    Contact freegamesystem@yahoo.com for details.

Sorry, by provider I meant that you buy from Yipes (Right? Or am I wrong about that too? )

7out, you might want to go with actual examples instead of theoretical hosts. In my experience, WebReseller's network stability has been much better than every single one of the multi-homed hosts with comparable prices I've heard about, and almost or just as good as most of the much more expensive ones. I know I sound like a WebReseller fanatic here, but I hate to see one of my hosts unfairly put down.

Besides, who offers a speed/price/reliability ratio comparable to Yipes? Maybe someone does, but I can't think of them...help me out if you know anyone though I rent servers from WebReseller because of their great speed/price/reliability ratio, and I'll be very suprised if Yipes doesn't play a big part in that (again, correct me if I'm wrong).

Don't get me wrong, WebReseller isn't perfect. I've had some "bumps" them, but their value is great. (One of those bumps was partially my fault too).
    Last edited by no1v2; 10-05-2002 at 03:49 PM.

BGP4 does not make anything faster. Actually in most cases it will slow things down.
    Not really true, I would not say "in most cases".
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

Originally posted by goodness0001
    no absoutely they should not go with bgp because it will slow down their network. Also bgp doesnt kick in unless a line goes down, am i wrong?
    Yes, you are wrong.

Grant (BGP engineer)

Care to elaborate a bit, Grant?

Peter

Originally posted by zdwebhosting

it does'nt slow it down it makes it faster in most cases since it takes the quickest route or the one with least asn's or whatever so therefore instead of taking a path all around the us then back to you it may take 3 hops you see?

BGP4 knows absolutely nothing about latency, packet loss, number of hops, or speed. It uses several discriminators to determine what the best path is, most importantly, AS-path length.

This is Cisco-only, but since that's the majority of routers out there, you can read all about Cisco's BGP best-path decision-making process here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk64...80094431.shtml

Grant

Originally posted by ckpeter
    Care to elaborate a bit, Grant?

Peter
    Sure. The statement about "BGP doesn't kick in unless a line is down" is 100% incorrect. Perhaps the poster was confusing BGP4 (a dynamic EGP routing protocol) with RIP or metrics on static routes.

A router has a BGP4 session active with neighbors (peers/providers that you are connected with). The router uses a certain pre-set algorithm to determine the best path, taking into account manually-set metrics (such as AS-path prepending, MEDs, weights, and local-prefs). When a neighbor's session dies (ie; the circuit stops passing traffic) the router removes that neighbor's routes from it's list of available routes, re-calculating the best path using aforementioned path selection criteria.

Grant

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast