Domain hosting/pointing/parking

What is the difference between domain hosting, domain pointing, and domain parking?

and what is that DNS stuff... and why do you need external services like everyDNS when you bought an domain?

why would I need to transfer a domain to some other host?

If I register a domain using some registar.. who actually owns the domain..

in other words.. what must I do to get a domain

yeah sorry for all these newbie questions...

Re: Domain hosting/pointing/parking

Originally posted by x-copy
    What is the difference between domain hosting, domain pointing, and domain parking?

and what is that DNS stuff... and why do you need external services like everyDNS when you bought an domain?

yeah sorry for all these newbie questions...
    Hi there! Welcome to WHT

Domain Hosting = usually defined as providing hosting for an actual domain, not a subdomain (yoursite.hostdomain.com).

Domain pointing = usually means pointing a domain to a subdomain (yourdomain2.com points to site2.domain1.com)

Domain parking means that domain2.com is pointed to the same location as domain1.com

DNS=Domain Name System
    It tells the world the ipaddress of the computer(server) your website is located on based on the domain name. External services allow you to make quick and easy changes to your "zone file". You can use external services if you switch hosts frequently and do not want changes to take 2-3 days to take effect around the world.

A good explanation can be found at:

http://compnetworking.about.com/libr.../bldef-dns.htm
    and also http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/DNS.html

Some hosts offer perks (discounts) for transferring the domain name to them. But be careful, ask who will be the owner and retain control of the domain name. Some hosts also define "transferring a domain name to them" as simply switching nameservers to the ones they give you.

No one actually owns a domain, it is leased to you from an ICANN(icann.org) accreditted registrar. You pay X dollars to control the domain name for X number of years.

Any more questions? Post 'em here (if i dont answer them, someone else will )

Re: Domain hosting/pointing/parking

Domain Hosting - This is when you have a domain name with a url linked to a web site. Typically that is what web hosting is about. So if you have like http://www.abc.com on your web host and that would bring you to your website. That would be domain hosting.

Domain Pointing - This is when you do not have the web sitr with your domain name. So you do a pointing or forwarding.

For example, if your ISP provides web space , say http://www.isp.com/subscriber/www/xcopy . This would look pretty long and probably hard to remember. So if you subscribe to a domain name say , xcopy.com and if your domain registrar supports forwarding or pointing. You could get it set up this way,
    when someone types http://www.xcopy.com , it would be forwarded to http://www.isp.com/subscriber/www/xcopy .

Domain Parking - This is when you found the domain name of your dreams and purchased it but have not found a web host as yet or do not know what you want to do with it. You could always 'park' it with the domain registrar. Typically when you sign up for a domain name, you need to provide DNS information and if you do not have a web host, typically you do not have this Name Server info. So parking allows you to do just that.

Well, DNS is Domain Name Server/Service. Typically when you are looking at a network (of which the internet is), each web server or user is identified by an IP address, this is a 12 digits number. Say 123.112.212.11 . This can be difficult to remember and thus the introduction of the Domain Name, so http://www.xcopy.com can point to 123.112.212.11 . See alot easier to read.

Typically, if you are using Virtual or Shared hosting, you do not need the services of everyDNS. You could purchase the domain name and have your web host configure the DNS entry on their name servers. You just list their name servers on your record at your domain registrar and that should do the trick.

EasyDNS typically provides the domain name forwarding and parking services amongst others. Or if you are hosting it on a cable modem or DSL network on your home computer (provided your ISP allows it), you might want to use their dynamic DNS service.

Well, if you decide to pack up and move your website from one web host to another, you would need to do the transfer or else people visiting your site would get to your old host.

It is like if you are living in the west coast, you would probably be listed in the phone directory and so on. So anyone wanting to contact you or visit you would be able to get you. But if you relocate and do not inform anyone about it, no one would know where you are. Same thing here.

You do not explicit transfer the rights to the domain name but merely just the Name servers which tells the browsers where your website can be located.

Typically, whoever pays for it owns it. Domain name are typically on a 'lease' period basis. So if you lease it for 2 years, it is yours for that two years. If you want to hold on to it further, you would need to extend that lease. If not, your registrar may release it for others to 'own' it.

Of course, there are some web host providing 'free domain name' and since there is always a fee attached to it, the web host would probably have to pay for it and thus may be the legal owner of the domain. This is some sales tactics used by some host to lock you into hosting with them until such that that you pay some 'ransom' fee. So if you can, it is better to register your own domain name. it is relatively inexpensive and painless process.

Well, the answer is to go to one of the domain registrar, do a WHOIS on the domain name to see if it is already leased by someone else. If not, just register it, you will typically need your personal particulars and credit card information. Once you have a web host, you just change the Name Server (NS1 and NS2) information and you are all set to go.

It may take between 6 to 72 hours for the changes to reflect all all servers around the world. Some faster then others.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

thanx for your info.. things have cleared up a lot now. Just one other question: does it matter where my registar is located?

thanx for your info.. things have cleared up a lot now. Just one other question: does it matter where my registar is located?
    Not really, its your personal prefence. For example, if you live in Britian... it might be adivisable to use a British Domain Registrar as they would be dealing in pounds sterling, they would be bound to UK laws etc...

and what if suddenly my registar went bankrupt or something?

Depends on the setup the registrar has...

If the registrar is registering for an accredited ICANN Registrar like enom, then you can just transfer (push) your domains to another registrar.

However I'm not sure what happens if the registrar you are buying from is accredited and goes out of business... if this happens, registrars normally allow you transfer away.

Like what happened to Namestrong.com.

Remember that there are multiple layers in this business.

Resellers sell for Regstrars. Registrars are ALL ICANN accredited if they are selling com, net and org domains. The Registry will not wholesale domains to a Registrar who is not ICANN accredited. Resellers are rarely if ever ICANN accredited - though there are some who both resell for CNO and sell other TLDs on their own and have become accredited in order to do so.

If a Reseller goes under, your domains are not really with them anyway - they are with the Registrar - so you may lose control for a while; risking domain expiration if you are not on the ball; but your domains are still with the Registar.

If a Registrar goes under, their portfolio is generally large enough to attract a purchaser and your domains will move from one Registrar to another. There have been many buyouts over the last two years where this has occured.

If a Registrar should go under without being purchased, the Registry is where your domains really are, and the Registry will certainly make sure they are moved to another Registrar. In the case of CNO domains, you can rest assured that this will be Verisign.

If a Registry should go under, ICANN will be involved and a new Registry operator will be selected.

What you are most likely to see is not your reseller going bankrupt - many are actually only hobbiests now - but your reseller becoming difficult to contact and providing you with no support. As long as your registrar has a means of letting you take control of your domain name again, you can transfer it to another registrar or move it to another reseller within that registrars system and you are back in business again.

-t
    myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates
    http://www.myostrich.net

thanks again!!