Unhappy kicked off hostonce

Don't use hostonce.

My web site ukgatso.com nee www.ukgatsos.com was/is getting 3gig down loads per month. Today I found out that it has been disabled because of high band width usage. No warning no nothing.

Steve Forbes on 10/01/2002 08:55:15:
    The Abuse Team have disabled the domain ukgatso.com due to a breach of our terms and conditions http://www.hostonce.com/terms_conditions.htm.

This account was closed under the High Resource User policy we have in place at HostOnce.com

If we registered the domain name for you then you can update the ownership details for your domain name by submitting your request to the DNS Changes category of our HelpDesk. This details will then be updated for you at the registrar. The helpdesk can be accessed via http://www.hostonce.com/contactus.htm

Please include full new ownership details in your request, eg Name, Address, Telephone, Fax and Email. (Also include the new hosting company's DNS for your domain name if this is required).

Once a domain has been disabled it will not be re-enabled under any circumstances and therefore you are advised to seek alternative hosting arrangements for your domain.

Yours sincerely,

Abuse Investigations
    http://www.hostonce.com

LOL another happy UNLIMTED customer.
    When you want real hosting you will stay away from the word unlimted
    www.rt19.com
    [email protected]
    AIM: RT19COM

3 Gigs a month of bandwidth to me does not seem extreme.....Maybe it was the "downloads".

3 Gigs a month of bandwidth to me does not seem extreme.....Maybe it was the "downloads".
    I remember posting a similar thing only a few days ago, regarding another gentleman who got kicked from Hostonce for using to many resources......this time, just 1 gig per month!!! Have to agree, stay away from "Unlimted" hosts.

Zaax....regarding the site, that should come in handy as we are based in Manchester. Thanks!!

Just remember for next time don’t go with a host that offers Unlimited Webspace / Bandwidth as there is no such thing

Originally posted by Dnslinux

Zaax....regarding the site, that should come in handy as we are based in Manchester. Thanks!!
    Thanks.

As I recall, there was another thread about a week ago on this and I was able to determine that unlimited bandwidth equaled 1.5 gigs per month.

Zaax therefore should have been cut off in mid month. By my calculations, he used double unlimited bandwidth.
    You'll get fewer complaints from over performing than from over promising.

zaax, sorry about your troubles, but thank you for posting this.
    When ever some of us try to warn people about unlimited hosting, people always try to defend it and tell us we are wrong. We wish we were. But in fact, most of us feel these unlimited hosts give all hosts a bad name, so we try to steer people away from them.
    You have every reason to believe that 3 gigs is not too much transfer for a average site, and your expectation to have a decent host is not unreasonable.
    I am sure you can find a suitable replacement host and you will be much happier in the end.
    Good Luck.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

the same thing happened to one of my customers, he had a site with myhosting.com and he had "unlimited" well they just killed his site one day, because he was using too much bandwidth, so he complained, they gave him 30 days to find a new host and turned it back on. So he moved to my server, his site uses a whopping 4gigs of bandwidth a month. That is considered too much? That sucks
    Nick Twaddell
    WebSpace Solutions - Custom E-Solutions
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable Web Hosting

Looks like every victim is only "HostedOnce"
    Freelance designer, providing CHEAP and HIGH QUALITY designs.
    EMail: webmaster[at]phatronic.com
    Y! Messenger ID: phatronic - ICQ: 159396474
    Portfolio: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75511

So why not complain to http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/cbav/...sumerComplaint

which seem to be where they are located.

If enough people do they might be closed down

I didn't even open my website to the public yet and they shut me down. Letter from the Abuse department saying I had excessive bandwidth. I was like WTF? I was monitoring my bandwidth usage from the control panel and it barely made a scratch, something less than 500mb of bandwidth in a 3 day period.

The only thing I was able to do was:

[list=1][*]Install a phpBB2 bulletin board[*]Upload about 200 mb of car pictures for my club[/list=1]

Less than 1 week from opening this account, I closed it and got a refund, minus the money for the domain registration, which they gave sole custody to me. They wanted to give me an NT account which would have 'handled' the amount of usage I would put through it. I was like NO WAY buddy.

I'm not a big fan of government regulations but these "unlimited" bw hosts should not be able to use these false claims to trick in-experienced webmasters to their services. That’s false advertisement and using bait and switch tactics. Even if it’s buried in the fine print of the AUP they should at least be forced to put a large disclaimer. Like the pharmaceutical companies. There TV ads tout the glories of their drugs but at the end come the “warning” that these pills side effects might cause diarrhea, yadda, yadda.
    These host shouldn’t be able to lie like this but if they are allowed to make these claims they should at least be forced to put a disclaimer right on the front page: “unlimited bandwidth up to 1.5GB”. Just recently new laws came into effect where you can no longer put organic in your packaging if it isn’t 100% organic: Products that are entirely organic will have a "100 percent organic" USDA label. Those with at least 95 percent organic ingredients can have a USDA "organic" stamp. Foods with at least 70 percent organic ingredients cannot use the USDA seal, but their labels can say, "made with organic ingredients."
    I guess since it’s not food and pills people are consuming no one cares and these host get to keep on lying to lure in unsuspecting customers. That is why I read every single world an AUP/
    TOS!

BGR: maybe they saw a trend they didn't like. You figure if you used 500MB in 3 days, that would work out 5GB in 30 days average assuming you keep that load up.

No way they are going to tolerate 5GB!

-WC-

I thought Steve Forbes had better things to do than suspending websites?