Thread: winxp errors

winxp errors

I had this previously as well. I reformatted my drive and then reinstalled and it worked like a charm. Allright here is my problem:

When I try to view sites using www.name.com I keep getting a dns error but when I use name.com without the www. for the same site, it works perfectly. Now the problems is when I try to login to sites with name.com they use the www.name.com configuration thus just giving me a dns error. Sites like www.cj.com and www.clickxchange.com are not working at all. Why does winxp keep on doing this to me? Is there a way to fix this?

Have you tried flushing your DNS? Try this from a command line: ipconfig /flushdns and see if that helps. You might also need to release your IP and renew. ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew.

~CP

yes, still getting the same dns error from IE and any other browser.

What type of connection do you have? Is it only doing this in XP? I've had this problem before but it was on a bad sprint 56k F/R crkt.

~CP

ATT cable modem connection.

Do you have a router between the cable modem and your PC. Do you have a PC with a different OS that you can hook up to the cable modem to test. You need to figure out if it's the PC or the connection before you go and reinstall the OS. Have you tried rebooting the modem, router and PC?

~CP

I have two modems connected to a router. The main computer is getting the dns error. The secondary computer is not. I have tried rebooting the modem computers and router but no luck yet.

At this point your best bet is to search the Microsoft website for your error. It sounds as if it's definitely a XP problem. Sorry I couldn't help further.

~CP

here's the funny thing. I tried pinging the sites with and without the www. function and EVERY single site was pinged successfully through the windows explorere program and my firmware program which is used by my router and is run through IE. Does that help in any way?