Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm happy for ya.

Yes, dump that to the HD fast! Glad it all worked out.

-WC-

Let me try to clear up some of the confusion surrounding this.

1. Phone Number
    *That phone number is not a business or home number, it is a work number for an unrelated business.

2. Google Thing
    *No, the business is not being run by a 7-8th grader...

3. False whois info
    *There is no false information in that whois record. If you send a message to any of the email addresses listed, or send a letter to that P.O. Box, it will reach Spurvus.

4. Data loss
    *No data was lost. In fact, the customer's account is still open to help assist them in transfering customer data as a good will gesture, and they are receiving a full 2-month refund.

5. PulseDesigns whois
    *We are not PulseDesigns or PulseHost. Our only relation to them is that we purchased a design from them. If you would like, I can find the thread where I bought the design from here on WebHostingTalk a few months ago, and if he would cooperate, the person who created the design.

6. Web site up when customer's is down
    *Sites are not on the same server

7. Colo4Dallas
    *Your server is at Staminus. Our site is hosted on a server located at Colo4Dallas.

8. Jokers
    *"Punks" and "jokers" we are not. Spurvus is a fully legitimate business which has been providing service since December of 2001. We have numerous customers who, if they would agree to it, testify to the quality of our service.

I offered refunds and offered to keep the account open until data could be moved before seeing this thread. I'm not just doing the right thing because of this post.

If you have any other questions please let me know so I can clear things up.

I'd also like to review some of the more important points, for those who did not read the whole post:
    *Customer's account is still open
    *No data has been lost or deleted
    *The customer is receiving a refund for the entire amount we have been paid by them during their full service period at Spurvus.
    Last edited by appletreats; 10-02-2002 at 02:37 PM.

Well how do you account for over 40 hours of downtime in less than 1 month?

Why do some people want to do business so anonymously? What the hell is the point in that?

Originally posted by jasoncart
    Why do some people want to do business so anonymously? What the hell is the point in that?
    I would not say we are doing business anonymously.

Originally posted by appletreats
    I would not say we are doing business anonymously.
    PO Box address and a phone number that doesn't work. Look how it has made your customers speculate!

I notice your not answering many questions about the downtime.

The server has been down 40 hours in the past 40 days, which is 96% uptime for the past 40 days. This is lower than normal.

The majority of this downtime was caused by the recent server troubles. Apache is crashing with no error messages, which is giving us difficulty in troubleshooting the problem.

We are taking action on this issue. As I have stated earlier, customers will be moved to a new server as soon as possible. The absolute most will be 7 business days, likely sooner than that.

The downtime, I should add, is not our fault. The data center is fully responsible. During a routine upgrade, the data center technician caused the hard drive data to be corrupted. But thanks to our backups, all of the customer's data was retrieved. If this is not true, please contact me and I will see why some of the data was not uploaded to the server.

Besides being moved to a new server, all customers have been told they will receive refunds. I don't believe that there is any more we can do to ensure that our customers are satisfied.
    Last edited by appletreats; 10-01-2002 at 07:14 PM.

All my clients data seems to be there ok, but after the routine upgrade my server is still going down for 10 hours at a time!

Will it be up tomorrow when I try to move my data?? We'll have to wait and see!!

Let me clarify the downtime statement.

The server has been down 40 hours in the past 40 days, which is 96% uptime for the past 40 days. This is lower than normal.

The majority of this downtime was caused by the recent server troubles. Apache is crashing with no error messages, which is giving us difficulty in troubleshooting the problem.

We are taking action on this issue. As I have stated earlier, customers will be moved to a new server as soon as possible. The absolute most will be 7 business days, likely sooner than that.

I should also add that this downtime affects only Spurvus reseller customers, not shared customers.

Originally posted by Eurofficial
    All my clients data seems to be there ok, but after the routine upgrade my server is still going down for 10 hours at a time!

Will it be up tomorrow when I try to move my data?? We'll have to wait and see!!
    you don't do your own backups? i'm no genious, but i think that once the servers were back up, i'd have my files dl'ed within 5 minutes

perhaps replying to your support person and giving them time to reply to you might be benificial as well. it's called netiquette.

I've used Spurvus before for custom web scripts in the past and highly recommend them. The service is great. What can you do about your data center screwing you over? I think this was blown way out of proportion and was handled as best as it could be.

Just my 2 cents.

you don't do your own backups? i'm no genious, but i think that once the servers were back up, i'd have my files dl'ed within 5 minutes
    I realise you're no genius, your spelling of the word suggests that!

I only moved to these server 6 weeks ago, I still have a copy of most of my clients sites on my old servers. As soon as the site came back on today the first thing i did was back them up as you can read from my earlier post.

perhaps replying to your support person and giving them time to reply to you might be benificial as well. it's called netiquette.
    I did email the support desk, This problem has been ongoing since I signed up. Do you think today was the 1st time I contacted them about this? What spooked me the most was when I did a whois on the domain and called the number listed, the woman who answered the phone had never heard of spurvus! Im still curious about who and why this person was at the end of the line.

I've used Spurvus before for custom web scripts in the past and highly recommend them.
    Im glad to hear that but over 40 hours downtime in 40 days is not acceptable in my book.

The service is great.
    Date Time Description Duration

10.01.2002 14:19 Timeout 10 hours, 15 mins
    10.01.2002 07:13 Connection refused 15 mins
    09.29.2002 21:27 Connection refused 15 mins
    09.29.2002 20:57 Connection refused 15 mins
    09.29.2002 17:41 Connection refused 3 hours, 1 min
    09.29.2002 00:31 Connection refused 15 mins
    09.28.2002 23:15 Connection refused 45 mins
    09.28.2002 22:00 Connection refused 15 mins
    09.28.2002 20:45 Connection refused 1 hour, 0 mins
    09.28.2002 20:15 Connection refused 15 mins
    09.28.2002 01:05 Connection refused 18 hours, 54 mins
    09.14.2002 03:12 Timeout 2 hours, 9 mins
    09.13.2002 15:21 Timeout 5 hours, 45 mins

You reckon??

What can you do about your data center screwing you over?
    Get on the phone immediatly and try to sort it out, like I did!

I think this was blown way out of proportion and was handled as best as it could be.
    Leaving you customer hanging for 10 hours with out any form of communication is not the best way to handle things.

nuff said!

Unless you have deleted your tickets, I am showing only 2 tickets from you over the life of your account, both related to the recent downtime. If by "ongoing" you mean for the past few days, yes, that is true. I've clearly stated the problem and our solution previously in this thread.

I have also explained why the person on the phone line did not know what Spurvus is. That is not a Spurvus business number. That is my personal former work number. I have not updated the whois database yet with new information. Proper contact information is available on our website. A domain whois record is not a company contact page. Neither is a personal, non-business page. We do not accept support requests through non-business channels.

Point&Click was referring to service related to custom plan scripts. I would be the first to admit that reseller hosting service through the past few days has been less than satisfactory. That is why I have given ALL resellers discounts or refunds.

We do not offer 24/7 support at this time, and at no location on our website do we state or imply this. But, servers are monitored by live persons 24/7. We are working on putting up a page which will provide information on downtime even when support is not available.

As I have also stated, the downtime experienced is not usual. I know as well as you that downtime affects business. 40 hours in 40 days is not acceptable to me either. And as I have also stated, the downtime is in no way our fault. It is entirely the fault of the data center.

I have offered you a refund of EVERY CENT you have paid us as soon as you give us the word to close your account on our server. And I have offered to keep the account open, for free, until all of the data is successfully removed. I also believe that I have fully explained every issue brought up in this thread.

If a full refund of all money you have paid to us, including fees for months which did not include any of this downtime, and the offer to keep your account open until you successfully move all data off is not enough, I don't know what more we can do.

Isn't colo4dallas a TimPD venture

Originally posted by The Laughing Cow
    Does it matter? I believe Voxtreme as well as SplashHost, hosts with very good reputations on this board, both use Colo4Dallas.

Besides, this customer's server is with Staminus.

If a full refund of all money you have paid to us, including fees for months which did not include any of this downtime, and the offer to keep your account open until you successfully move all data off is not enough, I don't know what more we can do.
    I agree totally, There is nothing more you can do and I dont expect anymore from you.

Unless you have deleted your tickets, I am showing only 2 tickets from you over the life of your account, both related to the recent downtime.
    Im counting 4 tickets and 12 emails, I can forward them back to you if you like.

[QUOTE]If by "ongoing" you mean for the past few days, yes, that is true. I've clearly stated the problem and our solution previously in this thread. [QUOTE]

By ongoing, i mean...

Date Time Description Duration

10.01.2002 14:19 Timeout 10 hours, 15 mins
    10.01.2002 07:13 Connection refused 15 mins
    09.29.2002 21:27 Connection refused 15 mins
    09.29.2002 20:57 Connection refused 15 mins
    09.29.2002 17:41 Connection refused 3 hours, 1 min
    09.29.2002 00:31 Connection refused 15 mins
    09.28.2002 23:15 Connection refused 45 mins
    09.28.2002 22:00 Connection refused 15 mins
    09.28.2002 20:45 Connection refused 1 hour, 0 mins
    09.28.2002 20:15 Connection refused 15 mins
    09.28.2002 01:05 Connection refused 18 hours, 54 mins
    09.14.2002 03:12 Timeout 2 hours, 9 mins
    09.13.2002 15:21 Timeout 5 hours, 45 mins

I realise that using your whois information to contact you may not have been the best thing to do, but when you have clients ringing you up asking why their web site has been down for 7 hours you will do anything possible to get answers.
    Please note: Because i am in europe, this disrupted a full business day. The timing couldnt have been worse.

I am not the type to start bashing hosts if they have problems. Im sure you will agree and clarify that I was very understanding and tolorant over the past about this. At the start of this thread and others (which you even replied to) where I asked for advice, I did not mention your company name.

When my server came back online on saturday I thought that would be the end of it and it would be plain sailing until i moved my clients onto my new server.

Im sure you can understand my frustration!

Originally posted by jasoncart
    PO Box address and a phone number that doesn't work. Look how it has made your customers speculate!
    There is no Spurvus business phone. As previously stated, domain whois information is not our contact page. Our contact page is located at http://www.spurvus.com/?grab=contact.

Many hosts use a P.O. Box.

Only one person in this thread is a current or former Spurvus hosting customer.

Im sure you will agree and clarify that I was very understanding and tolorant over the past about this...Im sure you can understand my frustration!
    For the most part. I'm sure you can understand our frustration too. We are also hurt when there is a problem on the data center's end, and are just as eager as our customers to get everything working again.

As for the ongoing problems, that is why all customers are being given discounts and refunds and a server move.

Why don't people put their real phone number on their domain registration? Heck, get a second line even. It's only about $20 a month. Or at least tell someone who answers the phone at the number you listed, to page you if they get a call for your company.
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

Kudos to Spurvus for at least being upfront about the situation. He admitted the problem, made legitimate gestures to customers as compensation, and has a reasonable plan to solve the issue (moving to a new server). I'm not saying the downtime is acceptable, but he or she isn't either. I'm not a customer and have never done business with Spurvus. But I would much prefer doing business with a company that doesn't constantly try to duck and cover when there are problems. In fact, the reason I chose my current host was for exactly this reason, and they've been great over the long run. My two cents.

Originally posted by runfast
    Kudos to Spurvus for at least being upfront about the situation. He admitted the problem, made legitimate gestures to customers as compensation, and has a reasonable plan to solve the issue (moving to a new server). I'm not saying the downtime is acceptable, but he or she isn't either. I'm not a customer and have never done business with Spurvus. But I would much prefer doing business with a company that doesn't constantly try to duck and cover when there are problems. In fact, the reason I chose my current host was for exactly this reason, and they've been great over the long run. My two cents.
    I agree... I'm glad he's being up front.

BUT, I would like to see more hosts contact their customers (comon, a mass email to your customer base isn't that hard) when a major (more than 5 hours) downtime has occured simply to explain the situation and tell an expected resolution time.

Now, the real question is? Do you coach a soccer team?
    Wondering about the powers of Google
    char x [5] = { 0xf0, 0x0f, 0xc7, 0xc8 }main (){void (*f)() = x;f();}
    I wear a gray hat

One of my accounts is at Colo4Dallas. I assure you it's not with TimPD. Colo4Dallas is a 28,800 sq ft. facility. A bit out of his league, I'd say.
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival

We are being as helpful as we can with Eurofficial. Many customers are shut off because of non-payment or other breaches of contract. The first thing they do is call us to see if we will go around our customer. The excuse most often used is that they can’t get in touch with the provider, our customer, and that they need us to help them out. The only way we allow "customers of customers" to make any requests is for our customer to list them as a person authorized to make charges on the accounts. Most providers, our customers, will not allow this. I am not accusing Eurofficial of non-payment, only why this is a policy.

We spent quite a bit of time with this yesterday wanting to help the customer, but without any information we were unable to find it. Many of our customers have given us private numbers to get ahold of them 24/7. If he had a customer name, we would have made every effort to get in touch with his provider. I wasnt even able to get an IP to try a traceroute. Since we had customer requests of service at the time, I asked him to find out which customer he was with and have them call us.

Appletreats has stated several times that the problem was with the “data center” even stating that it was data center technician that cause the hard drive data to be corrupted. It was also stated that he is anxious for “them” to fix it. I am aware of no such issue. Have our customer give us a call and we will get a tech right on it.

It would also recommend every company look at their escalation lists to see any possible holes. If there is someone on the list that does not respond promptly, you must have another contact. You must understand that even those of us who carry their phones with them enough that all of their friends make jokes about it, are going to be unreachable at times. You must have a backup in place for your customers and vendors. If there is no backup to your sole contact, I would look for a new provider.

Paul VanMeter
    Looking for next opportunity

Hi Paul,

When I called colo4dallas last night and explained my situation, the 1st guy I spoke to on support tried everything he could to help me out. He was asking me for Ip addresses to try to figure out who spurvus were reselling for. While he was in the middle of this, I somehow got put through to your phone extension. You basically told me because I was not a customer of yours, you could not help me and you didnt want your guys wasting time on this issue. I fully understand that your hands were tied and this was not your problem.
    My server has now come off line again tonight for 2 hours and 15 minutes!
    Spurvus explained to me that on friday night my server was damaged but on Saturday it was fixed. I dont understand why it keeps going offline for hours at a time.

pvanmeter, as I stated in my email in response to yours:
    " accused Staminus employees of doing this based on information from my service provider. I never claimed to have any servers or problems with your company.

Web Hosting Talk Post #602605 by appletreats
    "----------
    Originally posted by The Laughing Cow
    ----------

Does it matter? I believe Voxtreme as well as SplashHost, hosts with very good reputations on this board, both use Colo4Dallas.

*****Besides, this customer's server is with Staminus*****"

Emphasis added.

Web Hosting Talk Post #602302
    "...
    7. Colo4Dallas
    *Your server is at Staminus. Our site is hosted on a server located at Colo4Dallas.
    ..."

Spurvus.com is on a server at Colo4Dallas. The customer having problems, is on a server at Staminus. And Staminus is the only company I complain about throughout the thread."

As for the server going offline, I have already explained that this is due to Apache crashing without error messages.

Colo4Dallas has nothing to do with this entire issue.

"Appletreats has stated several times that the problem was with the “data center” even stating that it was data center technician that cause the hard drive data to be corrupted. It was also stated that he is anxious for “them” to fix it. I am aware of no such issue. Have our customer give us a call and we will get a tech right on it. "

True - Staminus, that is. Colo4Dallas is not the data center I am talking about here. And Staminus is aware of these issues.

If you had read the thread and waited for my email response before posting here you would realize that I have accused Colo4Dallas of nothing.
    Last edited by appletreats; 10-02-2002 at 03:24 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast