Finally, since I couldn’t sleep that night with all this frustration, I did a little more research on this company. I do a newsgroup search on ipowerweb and notice a bunch of threads about it in net.admin.net-abuse.email. It seems ipowerweb has been notorious for allowing spammers to operate, as well as being accused of spamming. I also found a number of messages on the group by the sysadmin who accused me and suspended my account. It seems he took on the job in April of 2002, and by his messages it is obvious he was not a seasoned pro. He was asking how to go about clearing the spammers from his system, and what to do about them. To his credit, after reading his threads, it seems he is making a concerted effort to clear his system of spammers. And by the looks of it he is succeeding. However, at what cost. By assuming everyone is a spammer without doing the proper research into it. Anyway, the responses started coming in immediately. And this was at 2:00 am est. The general consensus was that there was NO evidence that mydomain has been sited as a spammer in the past or recently. The sysadmin, in the opinion of a number of posters, was clueless and I should never do business with these guys anyway because of their spammer rep. They also said I should relate my story to whoever is interested in the spirit of providing them with info about the service. After I got a number of responses from my posting I included them into another e-mail, and off they went to the sysadmin. I figured, if he wouldn’t listen to me maybe he would listen to his peers, people he has seeked advice from in the past. Well on Tuesday, when I go home from a meeting, I finally received an answer from the sysadmin, he read the threads, he agreed someone was spamming me and I got busted for it. What did he want me to do? Well, after correcting him about being busted, since that assumes that I committed or abetted a crime, that the proper term was being unjustifiably accused because of his lack of diligence in dealing with a problem, I told him I want him to tell his people that I did not violate their policies, deserve a refund, need to get my site files, and understandably cannot continue doing business with them. He apologized, allowed me to get my files and told me that a refund was coming. All in very quick time I must admit. I received a refund later in the week, minus $16. Anyway, here is a story about Ipowerweb. Take it as you wish. Things are getting back to normal on my end, but not after wasting several days, and causing a lot of anguish on my part.
Hmm, it looks like it's a little your fault, but mostly the isp.
The main problem I see is they never responded to you in the first place to help you figure out how to deter the spam. So, one could reason if they had given you the proper answer, you would still be hosting there and none of this would have ever happend.
However, you did know going into it that you were having a spam problem and moved to a new provider to run away from it. So I guess, you should have asked prior to signing up if this company even had the ability to reject certain addresses/ips. I know our software allows you to reject every mail coming to your non-existent email addresses AND block particular domains, ips or addys.
Anyhow, I'm glad it all worked out in the end, it's really too bad their support wasn't fast enough to help you out before all this took place. It would have saved both sides a lot of heartache.