Dotreg offers 1 year .us regs

Dear DotRegistrar Customer,

DotRegistrar is pleased to announce the introduction of one-year .US registrations!

For the entire fourth quarter of 2002, starting October 1, 2002, we will be offering
    one-year registrations for as low as $6.49.

There's never been a better time to start enjoying the power and possibilities of
    .US! Act now! This promotion ends on December 31, 2002.

Best regards,

DotRegistrar Sales Team
    sales@dotregistrar.com
    http://www.dotregistrar.com/
    I can understand how Go Daddy offer 1 year registrations, but how are dotreg offering 1 year .us registrations for $6.49? They must be making a loss!

Dear Customer,

You spoke. We listened. And now, Namescout.com is pleased to announce the introduction of
    one-year .US registrations!

For the remainder of 2002, we will be offering one-year registrations for the low price of $25 US.
    The promotion begins promptly at 12:00:00 a.m. GMT on October 1, 2002 and ends at 11:59:59 p.m. GMT on December 31, 2002.

Click here to start enjoying the power and possibilities of .US today!

Sincerely,

Catriona Downie
    Product Marketing
    www.Namescout.com
    Looks like a registry promotion...

It also look like a number of other registrars have offered 1 year registrations. Go Daddy has slashed it prices to $6.95-1yr, $5.75-10yrs for a .us!

It looks like the registry has also dropped its pricing... we need some confirmation though.
    Last edited by blob2; 10-01-2002 at 08:05 AM.

eNom has sent out an email to at least selected partners announcing one year .us registrations are available. I suspect this will trickle down the eNom reseller channel soon.

We have heard of no changes in policy from the registry - however that does not mean they are not changing, it just means that we have not heard anything from them at this time.

-t
    myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates
    http://www.myostrich.net

if the registry did it, I suppose it would be to light a fire under prospective registerer's feet and get them buying domains.

Not enough to get me out. I am patriotic and all, but unless the domain name is really super-duper, I can't imagine it worth putting a lot into the url.

-WC-

This does appear to be a Registry special. Limited time only (till the end of the year) and not all registrars will be taking advantage of this I'm sure...

-t
    myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates
    http://www.myostrich.net

Your correct, the registry is obviously trying to boost .us registrations in favour of .com web sites.

Well, even at $6, not sure if I would buy one. Unless the name is super awesome - I think I will refrain from getting a .us domain.

-WC-
    Last edited by WildCard; 10-02-2002 at 03:15 PM.

GD's doing it too

Go Daddy® Service Announcement: FREE extension on certain .US domains!

Dear Valued Go Daddy Customer,

Great news! Due to the overwhelming success of .US top level domain sales, we've slashed prices to just $6.95!

In September, you registered one-year .US domain(s) at our old, higher rate. So we wanted to make sure you were able to take advantage of this new deal, too. Here's what we are doing for you:

We've automatically extended every one of your September, one-year .US domains to a two-year registration.

You get two years for the price of one! There's no need to take any action on this email: We've already extended the above-mentioned .US registration(s) to two years.

Remember, this automatic extension applies only to the .US domains you registered in September for one year. The names you may have registered for longer periods or in prior months do not qualify for this offer.

This FREE extension is our way of sharing our success with you – and making sure that you always get the best deal with Go Daddy.

Thanks for being a Go Daddy customer.

Sincerely,

Bob Parsons

President

Go Daddy Software

well, that solves the 1year vs 2 year debate in the godaddy/.us thread.

-WC-

Originally posted by WildCard
    well, that solves the 1year vs 2 year debate in the godaddy/.us thread.

-WC-
    Not so for .biz/.info