Angry Warning about Cedant Web Hosting

I have been using Cedant Web Hosting for quite some time and was very impressed with them until a few months ago. Everything changed when they split with their business partners.

My sites were suddenly in total chaos as they moved them without any warning to new servers. I was getting thousands of error message emails per day from the forums software while users were emailing their complaints about the mess. It cost me a huge amout in programmers time, online charges etc desperately sorting out the mess they created and a TV show we just launched sent thousands of potential new users to a site in chaos.

After this chaos there were far less features than what my original agreement included and they started billing me huge amounts that I had never agreed to. When I complained they said ignore the big invoices, they were a mistake but they deducted the huge amounts from my credit card anyway!

Last month my credit card expired so as they had proved they are dishonest and cannot be trusted I asked for their bank details and paid the next invoice (while looking for a new hosting company) by direct bank to bank transfer. I immediately sent them a copy of the transaction details.

They continued sending threatening emails and when I complained and again sent a copy of the bank transaction details I got the same answer - just ignore the invoices.

Nearly two weeks later I get a new invoice for only US$4 so I assumed all was OK except for the fact that the US$4 was for something I had never agreed to.

Two days later I get another invoice for over US$200 and they shut down my Web site.

I post this warning because they had a great reputation and I even recommended them myself but now they have become an absolute nightmare so people need to be warned.

0 Not allowed!

Can we maybe hear the other side to the story maybe? Anyone work for them and post here?... Sorry i like to try and get facts strait before i bash anotehr company.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by cedwards
    Can we maybe hear the other side to the story maybe? Anyone work for them and post here?... Sorry i like to try and get facts strait before i bash anotehr company.
    What a guy.

How long have you been coming here? This is just someone stating their opinion and their experience. Get use to it, because you guys will have your site evaled too. Especially with your recent 'publicity' here.

Also, if you would have been reading here you would known APlus.net bought Cedant and they have had trouble like this. People on the boards have expressed this already.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by UmBillyCord

What a guy.

How long have you been coming here? This is just someone stating their opinion and their experience. Get use to it, because you guys will have your site evaled too. Especially with your recent 'publicity' here.

Also, if you would have been reading here you would known APlus.net bought Cedant and they have had trouble like this. People on the boards have expressed this already.
    Hehe...oh yeah i know Atwebhost will have its rounds here too. You just told me the other sides. Now that i see its happened to other people then yeah it sounds like you should stand clear. I just know sometimes there is an isolated event with one person and not all the story is told and host get bashed for it. (happened to one of my friends who had a company on here a long long time ago..names will not be metioned)

Yeah then i would stay away from them.

Sorry that this happened to you man...fight them dont let them do it to you.
      0 Not allowed!

As they say.... try the search button.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Martie
    As they say.... try the search button.
    lol hey its late i had a long and bad day. I wasnt thinking about trying that lol. Oh well lol.
      0 Not allowed!

If you want more than one opinion check this link.

http://www.webhostingratings.com/pla...ews.html#b1660

There are about a dozen similar stories, and thats only the very few who found the webhostingratings site and posted reviews.

There is no doubt Cedant are a gang of crooks plain and simple.

If anyone wants to ignore the warning I wish you the best of luck but dont say you weren't warned.
      0 Not allowed!

If I am not mistaken Cedant was bought out by another company who moved all of Cedan's customers to a new datacenter and replace all of their customers control panels.

We use the same control panel that Cedant used to use and we had quite a few of their customers inquire about moving over to SuccessfulHosting.com .

I highly doubt that the owners of Cedant are crooks. Moving to a new datacenter and using a brand new software platform can be quite difficult.
    Alex B.
      0 Not allowed!

But still they shouldnt charge that guy a fortune for all of that. It might be a rocky road for the move but the client shouldnt be paying for hassel.
      0 Not allowed!

But still they shouldnt charge that guy a fortune for all of that. It might be a rocky road for the move but the client shouldnt be paying for hassel.
    That is a good point BUT......there really isn't much a company can do once they have already moved and they are using a new system which does not work well with their old system
    Alex B.
      0 Not allowed!

But instead of charging a customer shouldnt they contact him saying hey listen since were under new ownership were going to charge you more money for this and that...so that the person can leave if they dont want to be charged? i mean thats what makes t he company bad is that they didnt do anything but nail someone with a huge bill.
      0 Not allowed!

But instead of charging a customer shouldnt they contact him saying hey listen since were under new ownership were going to charge you more money for this and that...so that the person can leave if they dont want to be charged? i mean thats what makes t he company bad is that they didnt do anything but nail someone with a huge bill.
    Do you think that the new company went over each account and contacted every single customer about their issues ? They just rolled out some automated changes and kaboom. I'm not saying that's the right way to go.
    Alex B.
      0 Not allowed!

I think they shouldnt force them to pay. If a person doesnt want to pay they should have the option to leave instead of paying a whoping bill. Now i dont know if thats the case right now...or if they are going to force him to pay all that cash.
      0 Not allowed!

Chris,

You are wasting your breath here fighting a lost cause. Your points are heard, and understood, but the other company appearantly has deaf ears, or maybe they just wanted no customers.....

Either way, with the past experience of these people, it is obvious where this company is going to wind up in 3 to 6 months anyway. I am sure that other customers will find the boat and hop on it to other providers soon.

Hey, companies like this are a blessing in disguise for us, they keep the market flooded with clients to find and host
      0 Not allowed!

Wow hey frank! I havnt talekd with you in like months...ill IM ya.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by NodeHost
    Chris,

You are wasting your breath here fighting a lost cause. Your points are heard, and understood, but the other company appearantly has deaf ears, or maybe they just wanted no customers.....

Either way, with the past experience of these people, it is obvious where this company is going to wind up in 3 to 6 months anyway. I am sure that other customers will find the boat and hop on it to other providers soon.

Hey, companies like this are a blessing in disguise for us, they keep the market flooded with clients to find and host
    I couldn't agree with you more. The more hosting companies that screw up the more customers we'll all sign up ;-) .
    Alex B.
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah guess yoru right lol. Ive got out of the hosting business...gone into the comptuer hardware business...so doesnt bother me to have them floating around lol.
      0 Not allowed!

My original agreement was something like US$60 per month, now they are charging over US$200 per month for a lot less. Whjen they moved all the accounts they could easily have sent an email to all clients telling them what was about to happen. I could have just switched off the forums while they moved and avoided the massive chaos they caused.

When I asked what the new huge charges are for I get ignored. When I ask if and when the original control panel features will be returned the answer is basically - "never. hard luck."

Now I have paid their extortion money in full to give me time to move the site but they have shut it down and ignore my emails.

If I dont get it back I will have lost three years work, thousands of dollars worth of work and business and major sponsors that were about to sign up.

There are many in the same situation as me.

If I dont get it back I will not rest until these crooks are behind bars, totally wiped our or a few dozen biker friends have paid them a visit. I will come to the US and track them down myself if I need to.
      0 Not allowed!

It is sad that there is people out there that treat people like this and get away with it.

One word that I NEVER use, if you paid by Credit Card - CHARGEBACK!!!

If you get any resolution out of this, let us know how it turned out. It is just disheartning that this happens with people. It gives all of us hosting companies a bad name, because people get once bitten, twice shy.

Good luck!
      0 Not allowed!

bad luck...if u feel that u should give em a chargeback might as well go for it...hmm i thought these guys were good...
      0 Not allowed!

Cedant owns hostreview.com (it's not mentioned anywhere within the site) and is known for writing nice reviews for themselves. Now I see Aplus.net is too writing themselves good reviews since acquiring Cedant. Very unethical business practices to mislead consumers this way since their reviews are not impartial. I would strongly suggest you avoid Aplus.net/Cedant.
      0 Not allowed!

I know this is a bit late but I just found this board a few days ago. Having had such a bad experience with Cedant, I decided to do a search and found this thread. I had my main site with Cedant and was very pleased with them until the s#*t hit the fan last spring. I was lucky enough to not get stung too bad but I went through a lot of grief. The worst part of it was their phone support which had been great, became totally useless. They just about ended all support, phone or otherwise. It took forever to totally get rid of them, they kept debiting my bank account, then crediting me with a lesser amount, then debiting a different amount add infinitum till I finally stopped them through my bank.

I changed to SuccessfulHosting.com and have been quite satisfied so far.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com
      0 Not allowed!

I finally got away from Cedant. For weeks they kept insisting I had not paid and they had not received my bank transfer. They even shut down my site but I persuaded them to put it back on-line for a few days. That gave me time to move the site to another hosting company eryexma.com who so far are very cheap and OK.

After I moved the site I eventually received an invoice that showed they had received my payment in full one day after I made the transfer so I never had been in arrears and they had never even bothered to check before sending me all the threatening emails and shutting down my site.

I thought I would lose the domains they had registered for me but when I made the request to change the DNS info they did it without arguing. I suspect there are one or more of the original very good tech support people still there but the billing dept and everything else is a total mess.

I am very relieved to be out of there.
      0 Not allowed!