online - s'where between home & datacenter

Question FastServers bandwidth

Hi,

I got confused while looking at the page http://www.fastservers.net/dedicated/bandwidth.shtml

FastServers give 300GB/ month free.
    If the Bandwidth of WHM (CPanel) shows 100GB for the month.(CPanel it says its 97% traffic).

Suppose the rest 3% + any more approx. add 50GB more.

So total for the month becomes 150GB, half of the Bandwidth allocated.

So i should not be charged with any extra bandwidth, am i right to say that?

Then what is the 95th percentile mentioned on the above link?

Can anyone explain?

Thanks.

If you're paying by the gigabyte for actual transfer, the 95th percentile doesn't apply to you.

It does apply if he goes over their 5mb/s allocation.

Originally posted by ketster
    It does apply if he goes over their 5mb/s allocation.
    eh? 300 gigs of actual transfer is just under 1mbps. What's this 5mb/s and where does it say he would pay overage not calculated by actual transfer?

Each Dedicated server @ FastServers.Net is provided with 300GB of "Actual" transfer per month. Dedicated servers can continue to use the "Actual" bandwidth measurement until 5 MB/s is reached, at which point a conversion to the 95th percentile will be made.

Ahh okay, so if you use approximately 1600 gigs of transfer in any given month, anything on top of that will be calculated using 95th percentile. Sounds reasonable to me...

yes but you are generalising a bit with bandwidth calculations like that. For example if you host streaming media or similair then you could peak high loads at various times within a month. I suppose it depends on what your hosting, but its something to think about.

It's definately something worth asking them about, I'd think. It's hard to discern what they actually mean by that.

online - s'where between home & datacenter
    ok thans guys..
    looks like i have to monitor the bandwith thru WHM
    RockSolidHosting.US | reliable & affordable webhosting + domains
    Affordable shared / reseller hosting on Linux & Windows 2000
    Quality Bandwidth | 99.9% up | friendly support
    [Chat] yahoo: rshosting | AIM: rshos801 | [email protected] | ICQ: 219698679

Monitoring your server's entire throughput via WHManager is very, very risky. Get your MRTG link from Fastservers (or whomever your provider is), so you can keep in touch constantly via that vantage point. AND, don't forget that if you have a CPanel box, bandmin will show you all the traffic under the sun (by IP address)... usually accessible via:

http://base.IP.of.server/bandwidth/

Though, that link depends on your apache config and if you have certain modules installed within your webserver build.

Besides http://base.IP.of.server/bandwidth/ , what other things are installed with CPanel, that are accessable by a similar URL (and not through the control panel).

Thanks,

Matt