Question How do I host several websites under a single account?

If I have one webspace account with a webhosting company is it possible to have several websites on it with different domain names?

If so, how is this possible? Would I need more than one IP or something?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Are you wanting to have the additional domains pointed to the main domain, or have them as complete domains?

If you host uses Cpanel / WHM then ask them to add the domains to your account. (if they offer that option)
    Regards,
    Karen
    -----
    Reseller Accounts and Dedicated Servers

you can go with a web host provider that offers multiple domain hosting. I have been using Acunett and they provide this. I've also used echolima, and they do also.
    Clip and Print Free Grocery Coupons - ClipCoupons.us

Thanks for your feedback!

I currently have one domain (namecheap) and one account with a webhosting company (HostPacket - since August). Rather than sign up for more accounts I am hoping to build 3 separate websites on a single account.

So I would need to use complete domain names because they won't be pointing to the main one - the 3 websites will not be associated with one another.

Then drop a note to the friendly folks at HostPacket and see what they can arrange.
    Regards,
    Karen
    -----
    Reseller Accounts and Dedicated Servers

Use external DNS and do domain forwarding to a suburl of the main site, for example, have www.domain2.com redirect to www.domain1.com/domain2/

Enom.com who I use for domain registrations offers this service as part of a normal domain registration and so do a few other registrars, I just happen to be familiar with Enom.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Thanks Karen! I tried their livechat but it has been offline for some time and thought of e-mailing them but I know Hostpacket has been going through a crisis lately. I am feeling a little bit too polite to be e-mailing them right now but I will try the livechat again later.

Dixiesys - Would your method allow the domain to work like a proper domain or would it work more like masking? It wouldn't hide the page names would it (index.html, index1.html etc.)?

Yes it would hide it. With frame forwarding you'd only see "www.domain2.com" in the address bar with standard redirection it'd change to www.domain1.com/domain2/xxx
    resident grumpy redneck

A small reseller plan might be what your looking for..

Dixiesys - Thanks but I am actually looking for a solution that will permit me to use the domains like proper domains.

OKIHost - Reselling is something I am not ready for at the moment, I lack much knowledge to undertake something like that. I appreciate your feedback though, thanks.

Any host running an hsphere control panel will be able to provide what you are looking for.

Any host can set this up for you, whether they set you up with a small resellers type account or set up the account themselves. (ie, although you wont have resellers permissions, they can set all your domains on the same control panel and webspace)

That's okay, I don't really need reseller permissions - just 3 proper working domains that will permit me to host 3 sites on a single account. I guess I better get in touch with my webhost then.

Thanks everyone! It's really great to see people look after one another on this great forum.

a cpanel host can do that for you quick as a flash

All you do is set up two subdomains under your account, then fire an e-mail to the host asking for the two extra domain name to be pointed to those subdomains.

suba.domain.com > domain2.com
    subb.domain.com > domain3.com

They end up working (for all intents and purposes) exactly like full accounts of their own - they just all share the space of the master domain.

Best of luck

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

As stated previously, you probably are better off going with a multiple domain hosting account, like httpme.com .

Or you could sign up for a reseller account and just use it for your own domains.

Kind Regards,
    -Darrell
    ThePrimeHost LLC - Serving Websites Since 2001.
    Fully Managed VPS Hosting w/ Cpanel + WHM
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers w/ Cpanel + WHM
    Reseller Hosting with End User Support

The reseller's account is not only for the purpose of reselling. Some actually signed up for it because it allows you to host several domain names with their own web site. So consider it as reselling to yourself.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Yeah lotsa people just use them to play with, it's funny when people call me and ask if it's ok to get a reseller account if they're not going to resell them, I'm like "I don't much care what you do with the account as long as A: it's legal and B: you don't crash my server and C: you pay your bill"
    resident grumpy redneck

I host multiple domains in both my H-sphere and CPanel 5 accounts, but I prefer H-sphere as it's designed from ground up for multiple domain hosting.

CPanel 5 allows add-on domains - you can map additional domains to subdomains of the main domain in your account, but the host has to enable this feature first.

Hosts that offer a combination of CPanel+WHM are a good alternative for multiple-domain hosting too, but they're usually for resellers.

So, you can do some research on hosts that provide H-sphere or CPanel 5 control panel. (I've done the same.)

My host has a way of putting seperate domains on one account, all you have to do is to pm them or mail them, and they'll do it. I think they've even put it in the faq or in the forum on their site.

So ask your host about proper multiple domains on the same space.
    "Stop flame-wars - Report a post"
    The original Kitty Lizard

Add-on domains work very well in that your regular CPanel account's resources limit the usage, but can manage several domains within it.

The host offers the amount of add-on's, you then add them in your CPanel control panel as you need to.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

Please post this in the requests forum so that those of us who offer multiple-domain hosting may make you an offer. We're not allowed to do so in the webhosting forum.

Thanks,

Larry
    support@a1webserver.com
    Larry Dozier
    A1 Web Server
    1-877-945-HOST

Larry, it seems that this thread was done way back in September 2002 and that was some 3 months back. I am not sure if he found his host as yet, probably so since it was that long ago.

Besides, I believe from what he said, he was merely asking for an opinion on whether it can be done and not so much as to where he could find such a plan.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions