How to find good partners?

Where to find good partners for hosting firm? It appears that im always finding people without the experience and know how to back it up, they are working for more than one small hosting firm already and could not dedicate themselves entirely, or already have a job in a larger market.

OR they are plain lazy and unwilling to do what it takes in a startup hosting firm...

Im asking this as a serious question, where could one look to find descent partners for a startup hosting firm?

Avoid partnerships if you can. I've been burned several times thinking that all work and pay would be handled 50/50. Approach with great caution.

What kind of partnership are you looking for if you don't mind me asking?

----- Jeremy -----
    Iveka, LLC
    "Design and Hosting Services that meet your needs....and your Budget."
    www.iveka.com

AVOID PARTNERSHIP AT ALL COSTS. It may cost you a lil more to get started, but keep control of your own company. I initially went in with a partner to cut the costs and working time. No, it doubled my working time, and turned into a law suit
    Nick Twaddell
    WebSpace Solutions - Custom E-Solutions
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable Web Hosting

partnerships never work out . If it's the cash flow prob, try and take Proffesional help . if you got confidencein yourseklf , you will able to replay any financial liabilities/ loan quite soon . But Partnerships only is another word for Deciet and backstabing . Sorry .. I have had bad experiences too
    http://www.featuredhost.com | mailto: [email protected] | ASP.NET-MS SQL-Cold Fusion hosting| Cheap domain registration | MSN : [email protected] |

I disagree completely. Partnerships are a great way to rev up capitol and business. The people above were burned (no offense to them) because they chose bad partners.

I've made more money by having a partner, and better business decisions. The truth is unless you have solid business experience (not geeky webhosting) you probably won't be able to pick a good partner. I would make a list of qualities and spend at least a few months before deciding on a qualified partner. Dont' *uck around either. If they have a downside, don't be nice and let them play anyway. Sign contracts, bring them in on a probabtion period.

It's hard to find the right partner but if you do, you will find gold.

Two sharp minds that compliment each other make for killer business dynamics!

look ... when you sign up a partner for mainly Financial support , they are bound to be Dominating over you .
    Same when that Partner is the main Technical guy . He will try to trick you with some bogus fiundas at times . And if you sign up a partner just because you think he is your best buddy ... you are a even bigger fool than the 5 year old kid

so , one has to be real cautious ... I would rather be self dependent and look after my Business and client s rather than be always be n the lookout of what's my Partner doing
    http://www.featuredhost.com | mailto: [email protected] | ASP.NET-MS SQL-Cold Fusion hosting| Cheap domain registration | MSN : [email protected] |

Agreed.

There are good partners and good financial partners.

You have to realize that 5% are for your benefit and 95% will harm you. Keep that in mind when looking.

if you're looking for a partner online (someone you don't know personally), then you're doomed to failure and/or problems with that partner. this isn't something you should take lightly as you can have some real legal issues if things don't work out. i've worked for several companies that started out with a couple of partners that worked hard and created a successful company.

you need to find someone that you know personally (not someone you met last month on the internet and talked to in person once or twice). someone you *really* know. someone you can trust. preferably, it would be someone that knows something that you don't. what i mean by this is, let's say you know the technical side of things, it'll be best to find someone that's good at sales/marketing instead of another techie. that way, you can each concentrate on one aspect of the business.

don't just pick anyone that eager to help. pick someone who you *know* knows what they're doing. partnerships can be a good thing. you just have to do your homework to make sure you don't pick a bad partner. if you spend extra time on this step, it'll save you a lot of headaches down the road.

if you go into a partnership thinking it's a 50/50 deal, then you may as well close up shop now. you're doomed to fail. both of you (or however many partners there are) have to go into the venture thinking of it as a 100/100 deal. there will be times when one partner can't handle his protion of the work (sickness, death in the family, a partner went crazy for a few days , whatever the reason may be). if you think of it as a 50/50, no one will be willing to take up the slack. if you do this as a 100/100, then the other parners will be willing to take up the slack until things are back to normal. a good example of this would be DSM (Diamond Star Motors). it was a joint venture between Chrysler and Mitsubishi. they say it as a 50/50. Chrysler bailed after only a few years, but DSM is still going strong regardless. (DSM is where the Mitsubishi Eclipse, Dodge Laser and Eagle Talon were made, and the Eclipse is doing better then ever).

Originally posted by flashgear
    partnerships never work out.
    This should read bad partnerships never work out. If there were any truth to flashgear's point, that would mean 90% of the law firms, consultancies, accountancies and architectural firms in the United States alone would be failures seeing as to how most are partnerships. As another member stated, partnerships work, you just need to make sure it is a logical and sensible business relationship that you are entering into based on a SWOT analysis of your position as well as your partners`.

Oh im sorry,, i did not mean a legal partner. I meant people that are willing to come aboard and assist in a new web hosting venture with tech. experience, customer service experience, etc.. sorry for not being specific.

Im not looking for a legal partnership,

Thanks..
    www.boxedhost.com
    COMING SOON!
    A Resellers Dream, In a Box

Question what do you have to offer?

You explained that you find people who are underqualified or undermotivated - but what is it that you've got that's going to help people who are qualified and motivated? Why would they want to dedicate their full-time effort to your project, when they could run a project of their own, if they wanted?

I'm not asking that to be argumentative, but to understand your situation, and to encourage you to think about this from the perspective of your potential partners.

What do you bring to the table? Money? Expertise? Contacts? Untrained but motivated effort? Deep knowledge of a particular industry? A rack full of servers and a DS3?

If you want to attract good candidates, you need to be prepared to explain why your opportunity is better that what they can get on their own, or working with someone else.

And if you want the undivided attention and loyalty of an experienced adult, you should be willing to pay a reasonable salary for your area (geographical and field of expertise), or be prepared to explain why your startup is likely to succeed quickly in an environment where many, many interesting ideas have been put forth by intelligent people backed with big investments and resulted in only failure.

The hard part about business isn't having an idea - everyone's got ideas. The hard part is getting sh*t done, on time and within budget.

Might want to ask 'DanielP' about partnership advice.

Well the truth of the matter is im looking for someone in the same boat im in, someone willing to do what it takes to get started and quite honestly getting started with a startup host doesnt exactly pay big bucks, but could obviously pay off in the long run.

What i have to offer... 2 Racks of colo space with 80Mbps of multi-homed bandwidth provided by Verio, Genuity, and Global Crossing at my disposal with managed switch and MRTG.

As well as 3 2U servers which im looking to order sometime within the next week from a member on this board and 2 1U servers that will act as primary DNS servers.

So if someone WAS looking to get started but could not afford the above, but had the experience capable of either administration, customer support, etc.. then i see no reason why they wouldnt be interested, but yes people need to get paid thats a fact.... but no i cant pay anyone anything from start at this point, but in the long run this venture will most definately pay off many times over.

But nothing in webhosting is a sure thing so am i asking for alot,, of course.. but i also feel im giving alot in return.. some may agree and some may not.. but im only interested in experienced people that agree
    www.boxedhost.com
    COMING SOON!
    A Resellers Dream, In a Box

Maybe i am missing something here.. but if you are not looking to form a legal partnership with someone. Then what is going to protect your "partner's" interest? Since you are not paying them from the start, what sort of guarantee are you offering for the work/time they invest into starting your business for you?

A partnership is like a marriage. You need to have complementary skills, yet have enough in common to be able to communicate. If neither of you have a proven track record, then all you can rely on is trust at first. Getting someone off the street will be a little difficult.

Maybe you need to sit down for a while and figure out your strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats at the moment, and what kind of partner you'd need to improve your position.

With that in mind, you could plan what course of action together and then get a bit further. Without both partners buying in to the plan, you can't expect them both to stay.
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival

Originally posted by jdp29053
    Well the truth of the matter is im looking for someone in the same boat im in, someone willing to do what it takes to get started and quite honestly getting started with a startup host doesnt exactly pay big bucks, but could obviously pay off in the long run.

What i have to offer... 2 Racks of colo space with 80Mbps of multi-homed bandwidth provided by Verio, Genuity, and Global Crossing at my disposal with managed switch and MRTG.

As well as 3 2U servers which im looking to order sometime within the next week from a member on this board and 2 1U servers that will act as primary DNS servers.

So if someone WAS looking to get started but could not afford the above, but had the experience capable of either administration, customer support, etc.. then i see no reason why they wouldnt be interested, but yes people need to get paid thats a fact.... but no i cant pay anyone anything from start at this point, but in the long run this venture will most definately pay off many times over.

But nothing in webhosting is a sure thing so am i asking for alot,, of course.. but i also feel im giving alot in return.. some may agree and some may not.. but im only interested in experienced people that agree
    You dont state what you are really offering here.

I see you saying that you have all these machines and transfer allotment, and that you "feel you are giving a lot in return". what exactly IS this return that you are offering this non-partner partner for their skills and experience ?

I mean, Precisely what are you offering?