urgent! about Tomcat 3.23 webserver

hi guys,

I understood from my vendor that Tomcat 3.23 does not support password protected directory.

Is there anyway that I can control my program, so clients are unable to access my .html files directly by pointing to the URL address? as these .html files are very important information.

thank you

That depend of how you use it, if you run Tomcat as stand alone, I guess that you can't but, you can run it through mod_jk and in that way, tomcat will take care only of your jsp/servlets file, and apache of all the rest.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Binghamton, NY
    We run plesk 5.02 with mod_jk. We are able to use password protected directories with it easily as like in the previous reply to this thread, tomcat only handles jsp/servlets and apache the rest.

Dallas, TX
    The above posts are correct. Althought Tomcat can be used to quite efficiently serve static files (HTML), it lacks a lot of advanced features you might find on "real" web servers such as Apache or Microsoft's IIS.

The following link might be useful if you want to configure Tomcat to connect to Apache.

Hope this helps!
    justin 'at'
    Shared Unix Hosting