How much will 60-80G transfer run me?

And do you have any suggestions on servers...

Are you looking at a dedicated server? If so, then it depends on the specs of it. However you are looking at $50.00+

I'd say, for good multi-homed bandwidth at least $75, but you can get it really cheap if you get all cogent bandwidth.

Would I need a dedicated server?

Originally posted by TDR
    Would I need a dedicated server?
    It depends. If you plan on using scripts that are system hogs, then probably yes. But if you are just serving pages, you should be fine with a regular shared account.

Depends on what your site is. If all you do is serve files, a large shared account should be fine. But if you do intensive processing (database, CGI, etc...), you *may* need the power of a dedicated server.

Also, there is no definitive answer to your question on how long 80GB can run you. On the low end, there are sites that don't have much hit (80GB can run them a few years), on the other hand, I have had my FTP site used up 20GB in a day. So, since you know the visitors of your sites, you are the one who can determine the usage rate.

Peter

If you shop around you should be able to get 80GB for $40-50/month, for $100/month you could get a rackshack dedicated server with 400GB transfer.
    MBarron.net - Friendly hosting for friendly people.

With that amount of bandwidth you should take a dedicated server, even if you don't use it right now. This prevents downtime of an eventual necessary jump to a dedicated server when you start on a shared account.
    Also, if some of the other users on your shared server is messing up the whole thing, your site could go down too and with your amount of traffic that would costs you maybe a lot of income.
    And as MBarron mentioned, you can get a RackShack server for $99 p/m and you will have lots of room to grow!

Jacco
    Wordpress website builder (Build Your Own Money Site) and hosting enthusiast. I test cloud hosters for speed :-). Currently working on HIPAA HQ, Let's Grind Some Coffee and Build Your Own Web Store.

the thing to consider is, with a dedicated server you have to know how to admin a linux/fbsd box. if you get a box from rackshack, you *really* need to know what youre doing, since they sell unmanaged servers. you need to patch/update lotsa stuff right after they put your server online etc.

if that sounds like more trouble than its worth, get a shared account.

cheers,
    paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

Originally posted by rusko
    the thing to consider is, with a dedicated server you have to know how to admin a linux/fbsd box. if you get a box from rackshack, you *really* need to know what youre doing, since they sell unmanaged servers. you need to patch/update lotsa stuff right after they put your server online etc.

if that sounds like more trouble than its worth, get a shared account.

cheers,
    paul
    Or a managed server ofcourse, but I can't decide for you since I don't know your budget.
    But you are right Paul, it sounds easier than it is to administrate a server

Jacco