Question Cogent for gameserver???

Im thinking about co-location for my dod and Counter-strike server and was wondering if cogent bandwidth is the way to go because its cheaper. My server is a public server so even when Myself or friends are playing others on the net are. Also, im not too conserned with 100% uptime. Im just looking for low pings. Which should be no more than 150ms with say 10 people.
    So is cogent the way to go? What are other alternatives?

Go for it, cogent is perfect gameserver bandwidth.

-Brendan

Go for it, cogent is perfect gameserver bandwidth.
    I'd agree and disagree with that. I would say if the server is on the US East Coast and most of the players are too, then Cogent would be fine (especially if you put the server in a colo in a larger city). On the West Coast I wouldn't agree as the peering still seems to be lacking there, which leads to higher ping times...

east coast

Yeah the server is pretty close to the east coast and so are all of the players that are important, Its our clan server too. Another question, Anyone know where a cogent co-lo host is at in ohio or indiana? With a competitive price?

Should be fine, TheNetGamer uses cogent bandwidth and the pings aren't half bad.
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.

Seem high

Im not an expert but there prices seem high, anybody know of a cogent host that is cheap and not set on game servers only.

I'd agree and disagree with that. I would say if the server is on the US East Coast and most of the players are too, then Cogent would be fine (especially if you put the server in a colo in a larger city). On the West Coast I wouldn't agree as the peering still seems to be lacking there, which leads to higher ping times...

Nothing against your argument as such, but is the difference between 30MS and 100MS, if this is the case, really any worry? All the client or customer is concerned about is whether the site loads in reasonable time. If they are using ADSL or cable then none of this is any real issue.

Doesn't matter much if ALL the players have around a 150ms ping, things will be quite "equal"

I still like having my 15-30ms ping where I usually play... more like real-time playing.

If cost is a factor, and latency isn't... cogent is the cheapest you'll get.

However, if you have an extra box laying around, contact Defender Hosting (www.defenderhosting.com).. they are doing colo for $99 per mbit on bandwidth better than cogent.

Last I heard they were moving into the Equinix facility in Ashburn, Va.

Sorry -- their site isn't done yet... check out this thread though, an even better deal then I had saw before.. they're offering servers now.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...light=defender