Cogent services...

Currently, cogent hosts associate themselves with bad support and horrible services (not all). Although Cogent is looked down on, would a host be looked down on if they provided cogent services to offer cheaper prices but kept the support great?

Re: Cogent services...

Originally posted by Derek
    Currently, cogent hosts associate themselves with bad support and horrible services
    Excuuuuuse me? I don't do anything of the sort. It is others who do that

would a host be looked down on if they provided cogent services to offer cheaper prices but kept the support great
    Well, thank god I am not easily offended (yes you are - ed) but your whole post seems to imply that we cogent using bastards are generally speaking suckasshosts (tm) with horrible support.

I doubt 99% of the customers would know cogent from internap and customers from Australia, Asia, Europe and the US have complimented us on numerous occasions on the incredible speed.

Cogent only thank you very much!
    Last edited by Pilgrim; 09-29-2002 at 04:41 PM.

lol, you forgot to add my little parenthisis after that...

heh, sorry. Was too much in a hurry to be the first one to reply

No, I had the (not all) to imply that not all... but the hosts like Cyberwings surely weren't using multihomed... *cough*rackshack*cough*. Just wondering if hosts are looked down on for using cogent...

Just FYI, Rackshack is multihomed.

Well, that screwed over my theory.

My opinion: yes they are. At least by other webhosts. As said in the previous post the average customer probably never heard of something called cogent.

Is there a reason for this? Yes there is.

RS uses cogent (uhm, did I already say that all our servers are with RS also? And darn proud of it!) and RS with their $ 99 servers made it possible for "everyone and their grandma" as is the popular saying these days, to start a webhosting company.

The investment is minimal and the amounts of GB you get are high. They all jump in, rent a server and then give away insane amounts of diskspace/bandwidth at even more insane prices.

Not too long after that (surprise surprise) they go under. Either because they loose interest or whatever reason.

I think that is why cogent (and RS) are often used in the same sentence as STAY AWAY! BAD! Because 80-90% of the cogent/RS
    hosts go out of business fast, leave their customers without money and whatnot.

Customers don't complain about cogent. Your competition does.

Just FYI, Rackshack is multihomed
    Yah, but they rely heavily on cogent for the bulk of their transfer

Well, I guess my theory wasn't so screwed afterall...

Derek, this is WHT. Someone will come along soon enough and screw both your theory and mine in ways you could never have imagined.

Yes, but until that time, my theory is not screwed...

*cowers*

Pilgrim...just a pointer. You may want to edit your signature as incorrect grammar isn't usually looked upon as professional. You should use an adverb when describing a verb...it should be "We take hosting seriously"
    Justin Bachus
    BlastHosting, LLC - Professional web hosting at a low price with
    PHP, MySQL, FreeBSD, and more!
    http://www.blasthosting.com

Once again we confuse WHT with the world at large

While web hosts and even resellers look very carefully at providers of bandwidth, the average retail customer doesn't know and doesn't care-they only care about their site being up, responding reasonably well, receiving their email, having an easy to understand control panel, and getting quick, responsive and helpful support.

Originally posted by Pilgrim
    Yah, but they rely heavily on cogent for the bulk of their transfer
    Care to repeat that statement after looking at their network status page?

6 gigabit links (plus change), only one of which is Cogent. The majority of traffic seems to be going in/out through their two Verio links.

I doubt 99% of the customers would know cogent from internap and customers from Australia, Asia, Europe and the US have complimented us on numerous occasions on the incredible speed.
    While web hosts and even resellers look very carefully at providers of bandwidth, the average retail customer doesn't know and doesn't care-they only care about their site being up, responding reasonably well, receiving their email, having an easy to understand control panel, and getting quick, responsive and helpful support.
    I would have to agree. These is absolutely nothing wrong with Cogent bandwidth. This "Cogent poor quality" thing is some sort of urban myth propagated by certain 'uninformed' users on WHT. I have used ALL of the major bandwidth providers and in the 4 or so years of doing so, have I found Cogent to be no less reliable. In fact Cogent being a LARGE company is able to offer a service that a lot of smaller companies can not. I believe that many are just using this 'anti Cogent' as a way of self promotion.