Thread: SSL Certificate

SSL Certificate

I was reading a thread about SSL's that went pretty way off topic so i would like to start a new one and ask not whats the best SSL, but whats the most reliable one as far as browser coverage, security, etc.?

I dont care about the price tag as long as its reasonable, but i just want a solution that will prove to be a solution and not some cheap imitation that will just let me down and be a waste of money....

Re: SSL Certificate

Originally posted by jdp29053
    I was reading a thread about SSL's that went pretty way off topic so i would like to start a new one and ask not whats the best SSL, but whats the most reliable one as far as browser coverage, security, etc.?

I dont care about the price tag as long as its reasonable, but i just want a solution that will prove to be a solution and not some cheap imitation that will just let me down and be a waste of money....
    jdp29053,

So, you are looking for best browser coverage and security: First of all let me deal with the issue of security: Browsers can handle both 56bit and 128bit encryption. From security point of view all ssl providers will be the same. From Browser Coverage point of view: the maximum browser coverages are provided by

Verisign
    Thawte
    Baltimore

It is safe to say that all three suppliers have 99% plus browser coverage.

Baltimore has allowed other companies to use their "root key" (the thing that gives the browser coverage). One such company is <removed> and I am a reseller (hence biased) of one of their SSL products.

The issue of "letting you down", if this is referring to support and customer care then DO MAKE SURE wherever you are buying from will give you a real person help (not just email). Also, you could find out the best deals (and even more information about ssl providers etc) on the above certs by simply searching google with "ssl certificates" keyword!

hope this helps.

Hosty
    Last edited by Chicken; 09-29-2002 at 06:43 PM.

Okay, thank you, yes i know to run a search , but was just asking for people with experience to give me an idea of what i should be looking for, ive been seeing alot of talk about cheap SSL's but im not looking for something keep im looking for something reliable..

Thanks for the help.
    www.boxedhost.com
    COMING SOON!
    A Resellers Dream, In a Box

If you are looking for cert with the highest coverage then you should go with Verisign or Thawte. The other ones like GeoTrust are getting more coverage and becoming popular and are still a decent choice, but Verisign and Thawte currently do have the best coverage as far as I know. Another thing is they have been around the longest and ironically there are still quite a few people who do not believe a site is secure unless they see a Thawte Stamp or Verisign stamp. I have had a few people inquire about this, so I do know there are people out there who feel the SSL market is ruled solely by Thawte & Verisign, well they are the same company now, so they do hold the most market share

Originally posted by jdp29053
    Okay, thank you, yes i know to run a search , but was just asking for people with experience to give me an idea of what i should be looking for, ive been seeing alot of talk about cheap SSL's but im not looking for something keep im looking for something reliable..

Thanks for the help.
    jdp29053

I personally think that there are 6 elements that make up an SSL cert and SSL provider

1)Browser Coverage
    2)Price
    3)Certificate strength
    4)Validation of the applicant
    5)Warranty attached to the cert
    6)Customer care

From my personal experience, you need to make sure to go with at least 99% browser coverage. There are people out there claiming to be 98% but please ask for independent stats to back this up otherwise you could be loosing customers. There are too much marketing rubbish floating about. So far the Root Keys that provide 99%+ coverage are as stated in my previous reply. With this 99% coverage rate you should be avoiding the "Security warning" that pops up scaring the user off your site.

When it comes to "Cheap" SSL: I don't think SSL are cheap now, they were "Expensive" in the past! I feel $50-$100 for a cert is just right for the work that SSL providers do (provided that they validate), However there are companies out there who do NOT validate the applicant but just the domain name (and put inside the certificate "the entity not validated" or something to that effect (in the subject section of the cert) to cover themselves legally, and in my opinion those certificates should be no more than $10 (if charged at all)!

So, today you can obtain a 99% browser coverage fully validated and fully supported SSL certs and this does not have to be Verisign or Thawte or their prices.

Hosty

Okay everyone i think i get the idea of what im looking for now.. thanks for the help.
    www.boxedhost.com
    COMING SOON!
    A Resellers Dream, In a Box

Hey RH4U,

Well, Verisign and Thawte may be the same company, but they are TOTALLY different brands with product ranges which appeal to different 'tastes.'

Unfortunately Thawte do not offer wildcards anymore, which kinda bites as they were quite useful, but you do have other CA's out there which offer tha kind of thing.

Make sure that your CA gives you the right level of support, make sure you ask them any niggling questions you may have, and make sure they can answer most of your basic questions regarding browser covergae etc. as (from experience) this is quite an issue with the buying public...

Adios