Moving customers to new servers!

Hello,

I reciently signed up to a reseller package from a WHT member. They have had alot of problems and alot of downtime reciently.

I have about 20 customers on their server. What is the best way to transfer all of them to a new reseller package so to cause as little disruption as possible?

Cheers!

What kind of control panel is it? That would help alot?

Kind regards
    Phillip
    www.SURRENDERONLINE.com.au
    Perfect Solutions Every Time! Sydney Based :: Dedicated Servers :: Colocation :: Superior Support::Reseller Solutions

Sorry....I should have mentioned that....Im using Cpanel 5

If you have WHM / CPanel you can do a server to server transfer. You would need root access though, if you can get that information it is the easiest.

Otherwise if you have SSH access you can:

cd /home/username
    tar -czvf files.tar.gz public_html/
    mv files.tar.gz public_html/files.tar.gz

(replace 'username' with your username)

Then log into your new server and execute the following commands:

cd /home/username
    wget http://www.yourdomain.com/files.tar.gz
    tar -xzvf files.tar.gz

Repeat the step for each of the accounts.
    Regards,
    Karen
    -----
    Reseller Accounts and Dedicated Servers

Thanks Karen....

If I do this, does it mean that my clients account will remain exactly the same. ie. the email addresses they set up will remain the same.
    Also...will this cause any down time?

The accounts will remain the same, unless one of your resold accounts updates their account on the old server. If you have a resold account that is very active, you might want to inform them of the move so that they can stop activity while the move is happening.

Otherwise, just register your new name servers, move the accounts, then wait a few days to let propagation take place, then delete the accounts off the old server.
    Regards,
    Karen
    -----
    Reseller Accounts and Dedicated Servers

If you keep the accounts open on the old server until your name server records have been updated to point to the new host, there shouldn't be any downtime.

This might be easier ...

• Setup your client accounts on the new server.
    • Run the following commands.

cd /home/username/
    scp -r public_html/ username@123.123.123.123:/home/username/
    Replace 123.123.123.123 with the IP address of the new server and 'username' with the client username you are moving. Repeat the above step for all accounts. This will mvoe the files in /public_html/ from the old to the new server. If your clients have mysql databases, you can then back them up through CPanel (phpmyadmin) and re-run them on the new server and you're done
    Marc Wyss - marc@mchost.com
    MCHost Inc - Experts in Private Label Reseller Plans
    http://www.mchost.com

Note that unless your old host gives your new host root access to the server (1% chance they'll do this), you would need to set the email accounts back up on the new server.
    Marc Wyss - marc@mchost.com
    MCHost Inc - Experts in Private Label Reseller Plans
    http://www.mchost.com

I've been transferring to a new host.
    I created on a new folder on my hard drive for each account: website ftp and downloaded all the files off the current host into it.
    Then went to the new host, opened the file and uploaded everything.
    If you have 20 big sites, it would be time consuming, although I was able to select all the files and let it do its thing in the background while I was busy on other things.
    It keeps things in order and gives me a full site backup on my hard drive.
    Laura K.
    http://www.madmousergraphics.com
    graphic design for grownups

Originally posted by Kiwi
    Note that unless your old host gives your new host root access to the server (1% chance they'll do this), you would need to set the email accounts back up on the new server.
    But how you can know passwords for e-mail accounts created by users?
    All generalizations are false, including this one.

But how you can know passwords for e-mail accounts created by users?
    You cant!

Re: Moving customers to new servers!

Originally posted by Eurofficial
    Hello,

I reciently signed up to a reseller package from a WHT member. They have had alot of problems and alot of downtime reciently.

I have about 20 customers on their server. What is the best way to transfer all of them to a new reseller package so to cause as little disruption as possible?

Cheers!
    Your new host should be able to help you move them. If there all from the states just make the move at 2 am and notfy them of the move and they will need to to reset there e-mail passwords
    www.rt19.com
    sales@rt19.com
    AIM: RT19COM

Hello,

We on the norm would move a client away from another host if need be and if they ask of course. I am 100% sure that the new cpanel has options to move accounts over using SSH or one account at a time.

The host should be able to do this for you without ROOT access on a cpanel machine.

Kind regards
    phillip
    Perfect Solutions Every Time! Sydney Based :: Dedicated Servers :: Colocation :: Superior Support::Reseller Solutions

How Would you do the move by ensim? because am thinking of reselling till i get enouch customers were i feel comfortable of moving to a Dedicated server.

If it's Cpanel

Just use the master password. Then you have access to all your reseller accounts. Back up and restore them to the new server.

Then get the new ip set up pointing at the new server. Then transfer yourself over.

That way all the accounts are set and very little down time. Provided all the ip's are set up correctly.
    OFS Hosting.
    Reseller and Hosting Services
    A new Horizon in Hosting.
    Http://www.OFSHosting.com

Of course you can transfer clients using whm now using the account by account option.. no root access required.

Note that unless your old host gives your new host root access to the server (1% chance they'll do this
    1% is very optimistic more like 0.00000001% of that happening

Borg,

Do you mean to an ensim server?

or your current reselling from has ensim and you want to move cpanel..

Cpanel now has an option or its coming soon to move from ensime to cpanel easier.

Kind regards
    Phillip

Cpanel also now has an option to move accounts without root access. I've yet to use it though.

Originally posted by lightnin
    Cpanel also now has an option to move accounts without root access. I've yet to use it though.
    Can you tell us more? Should it be enabled, or it is enabled by default?
    All generalizations are false, including this one.

What happens if your host has replaced the cpanel backup with its own backup? I guess you're screwed!

If you use the cpanel backup option - does that include the email account passwords or will a client have to recreate them?

Thanks!