Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Business plan

* Business plan

I am starting up a company called 'trexine' and feel a business plan neccisary. I would like an effective business plan, but don't know where to start. What should I consider?

On other threads the original poster (which will be me) has been getting 'attacked', i don't want that, all i need is your help.

Thanks!

I found a website once that assited in writing a business plan. It would ask you questions and you would fill in a form. I have been looking for it again but cannot find it (I need it too). Maybe someone here knows what I am talking about.

Andrew

Well first and foremost and don't take this as a flame, you seem like you don't know anything about business or the hosting industry. Of course everyone was at the stage once in their life. However when it comes to the rudimentrary basics, it's often easier first to research YOURSELF the basics of what you're looking for and if you're still stuck, you can then come ask the folks on this board. Telling us that you've been to this and that search engine, looked up a few business related books in the library and that you're still confused, will at least let us know that you're serious about getting into the web hosting industry and that you're serious about running the business.

The fact that you've thought about a business plan redeems you in a big way, many hosts don't even care about this! You should try to purchase a software called Business Plan Pro. The fourth version of this software package has been released and should help you write up your business plan step by step. However you have to do the thinking, it won't do that for you. If you need to research facts take a look at http://www.thewhir.com, which is a good magazine relating to our industry. There's also internet/hosting specific magazines (.net in the UK), Hosting Tech and many others. Try getting copies of them. This will help you immensely, when you're writing your marketing plan. Last but not least, check google.com for sample business plans. You may find ones relating to IT/ECommerce.

http://www.bplans.com is a good resource for sample business plans for Business Plan Pro.

Hope that helps!

Thank you! I will try them out.

www.thewir.com is the correct url (you have a typo), very helpful.

Some of the things you need to consider for any business can be summed up in the acronym "SWOT".

What SWOT stands for is Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats. Basically what you should do is create a list of your strenths for the business, your weaknesses, the opportunities you forsee and the threats.

Do the SWOT analysis for you personally, the business as a whole, and the industry as a whole.

What this does is it provides you a snapshot of where you fit in the prospective business. It also provides you with the ability to examine where you want to go based upon your analysis. Obviously it only works if you **objectively** do the analysis. Be as realistic as possible.

After looking at where you fit individually in the business, and where you business fits in the industry and where the industry is going as a whole you can figure out where you want to go with your business.

A partial list of some of the things to consider in the SWOT for you personally is: your technical ability, your ability to work together, alone, your managerial skill, your ability to plan finances, your ability to negotiate or find contracts, your ability to market or advertise, whether you want to own your own business or run a hobby (or-part time biz), your ability to communicate with clients, customers or suppliers, whether you can or want to work long hours, odd hours or 9-5, etc.

This should get you started.
    Richard
    Multiple Domain Hosting | See our Ad in PC Magazine
    Windows Reseller Hosting @ www.e3servers.com

Ditto what Fazel3 said, and www.bplans.com is an excellent resource. Best of luck!

Your local SBA and/or Small Business Development Center would be a good place also. Check also with a local lawyer that is familiar with internet law, not just any law. Also check with a good tax advisor for all the ramifications of LLC vs others.

Business Plan Pro 2003 is a great program to help guide you. You'll need TONS of time to check into your break-even analysis, SWOT analysis etc.

I wish every host went through all the trouble of creating a business plan. If they did, they'd realize before they go out of business and cause undo grief to their clients, that they can't survive by offering $30/yr hosting

You should probably first to sit down and figure out why you are starting the company - more money, more free time, etc. Then draw up some kind of 'mission statement' to guide you. You can always (and should) change the mission statement as you find more information and figure out what you can and cannot do with the time/resources that you have available.

The SWOT analysis will also help you figure out your 'niche' which is necessary to differentiate you from your competition.

Your local library probably has some free classes, and your local community college usually has entrepreneurial classes available as well.

If you haven't already done so, I would start with a small reseller account (or accounts) somewhere (go for service, not just price). A good reseller host is very useful in learning this stuff. You'll need to figure out all the variables like which software to use, who will do tech support, contingency plans (worst case and best case scenarios). Also make sure you build in at least one exit plan (franchising, selling the company, etc).

measure twice-cut once my dad used to say (probably still does). Planning now will help in the long run to maximize profits and minimize heartache.
    Learn survival/prepper information from a combat veteran at Graywolf Survival

Affordable Web Hosting @ www.qoolhost.com

BTW, trexine.com is currently available. If you are fairly serious about the name, you might want to grab it in case someone else is as well. You'll also want to check into trademarks, and business names, etc both state and federal to make sure you won't accidentally step on anyone's toes with that name.

Yes, i will register it.

* awww

looks like someone just registered trexine.com

damn it! And they stole my logo for trexine!

Sorry, that's what 'non-disclosure agreements' are for. Need to register your name as a trademark next time too. Hopefully you didn't go any further than just thinking about the name.

Re: awww

Originally posted by Eros
    looks like someone just registered trexine.com
    And that someone is a troll. This user (of course) was the one who registered it, and to say, "Awwwww, looks like someone just registered..." -is just being an idiot. Sorry, I rarely call members idiots, however this one is. The domain was free to register, however if you do register it, you don't have be a donkey about it.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Nice work Chicken.
    Andrew Walenczykiewicz
    StyleMy.com

And that idiot is on this board.

damn it! And they stole my logo for trexine!
    How could he have stole a logo when you didn't even have the site yet?!
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Go to Other Forums >> Web hosting talk lounge and ready the thread 'they stole my work!'. It will explain it all.

Maybe the person who registered it was dumb enough to put their personal info w/ the registry.

They were.

If you still consider books a good resource look for this book:

Writing a Convincing Business Plan
    Second Edition

Arthur R. DeThomas, Ph.D., and Lin Grensing-Pophal

(Barron's Business Library)

Although I haven't secured millions of dollars in VC using it as a reference, it is an EXCELLENT resource for writing business plans.
    JP
    Justified Existence - my blog on blogging and writing for a living.

Shouldn't you be contacting your lawyer about this theft of intellectual property and sue this *******? Nothing you can do about the domain name, but i'm sure that he can't just steal your logo like that.

Doug

No, they took my logo down now and put some pathetic looking one up. I'm watching them tho...

Back to my topic...
    If I can afford the hosting side of things for half a year, is this an acceptable amount of time to have guaranteed. If i get someone buy me 'premium' plan I make a profit and the next month paid for. Is this okay?

If your business is hosting reselling you can buy a template from ebigroup at http://www.ebigroup.com/products/story.php?id=8

Good luck with your business!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast