Shouldn't it be a 2-way street?

Most hosts get customer information and accept credit card payments. This gives them quite a bit of information on any person that chooses to host with them. Hence, it can be risky if you happen to choose an unscrupulous host.

But, what about the customer's protection and right to their host's information? Shouldn't the customer also be able to obtain just as much information on the host? Though a whois gives some info, it is not enough. Even hosts' phone numbers and real addresses do not compare to what information they have for the customer.

Thoughts?

Very true. Been in that situation before of an unscrupulous host who steals credit card information. Enuff said about that.

I guess then there are also the ones which uses a 3rd party to do all the credit card processing. That is probably the middle line where trust is on a 3rd party.

I do see fake Whois information before and a hotmail.com account does not cut it there.

I guess in the end, it is all an issue of trust.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

I know it wouldn't be appropriate to ask the host for their credit card number, but maybe there's another way to implement this. The only way I can think of, is to have a signed agreement faxed back and forth.

I would think most hosts would be willing to do that in order to get an account, and that consumers should want to do it to further protect themselves.

Customers would likely want to do something like that to protect themselves. But, they don't like having to exchange faxes to get hosting. I'm sure most any host would oblige. However, it would be a much smaller percentage of customers willing to do the extra steps.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Re: Shouldn't it be a 2-way street?

Originally posted by chrisb
    Most hosts get customer information and accept credit card payments. This gives them quite a bit of information on any person that chooses to host with them. Hence, it can be risky if you happen to choose an unscrupulous host.
    Then choose wisely.
    But, what about the customer's protection and right to their host's information?
    What "right" ? Where is this "right"?
    Shouldn't the customer also be able to obtain just as much information on the host?
    Nope. Why do you think they're entitled to this information?
    Thoughts?
    Yep Plenty. Chris, we're service providers. Folks utilise our services for their benefit. What benefit do you derive if you know my personal details, such as home phone number or residential address or credit card details....
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Do you ask to see the local sales girl's credit card at Wal Mart before you give her yours? It can be just as bad she could take your credit card info and abuse it.

All you can really do is make sure you know your host, I am sure any honest host will give you a fair amount of information to assure their identity and business. But I doubt many are going to hand you their credit card.

Yeah, SWR, that's what I was thinking... that the customer part would be the problem, though the irony of it is that it is for the customer's benefit. You're right customers don't even want to register for PayPal to order hosting (bad example, I know).

Chris,
    This is a good idea in theory, but in practice it is very hard to implement. I agree that there are many unscrupulous people here on the internet who are just after your personal information. That is why when people select hosting providers, they need to do their due dilligence. But it would be very hard to regulate faxing of documentation from country to country. We like many other hosting providers have clients all over the world, I think it would be hard to have them fax us documentation especially if they didn't have fax machines.

On a side note, this is why I hate the new godaddy proxy bs, because now people can really scam while not showing their real whois info.

-Steven
    https://www.ihnetworks.com
    BGP Blend of Telia, GTT, Zayo, and Tata in One Wilshire, Los Angeles! Enterprise Datacenters around the world, including Amsterdam, Singapore, London, and the United States.
    True Definition of Managed Hosting
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Co-location

I'm registered with godaddy. Can you explain that further.

Originally posted by insiderhosting
    On a side note, this is why I hate the new godaddy proxy bs, because now people can really scam while not showing their real whois info.
    Nothing wrong with wanting to have a few anonymous domain names out there. There are privacy issues. I'd prefer all my domains were confidential. The whois system that reveals personal information is a breach of my privacy and a haven for spammers, IMO....

That's true Bob, but it also speaks well for you. I just looked at your whois info the other day, and it appears honest. Most whois info has missing info, yours did not.

Hey Bob,
    While I agree that there should be some level of anonymity for providers like you and me to offer our reseller clients anonymous nameservers and the like, this is taking it to far in my opinion. Check out the following links:
    http://registrar.godaddy.com/dbp.asp
    http://www.domainsbyproxy.com/popup/..._id=1&mscssid=

All I am saying that this just gives scammers an easier way to do what they do best.

-Steven
    BGP Blend of Telia, GTT, Zayo, and Tata in One Wilshire, Los Angeles! Enterprise Datacenters around the world, including Amsterdam, Singapore, London, and the United States.
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Co-location

Monte: I can always get the company info, but I see your point.

That's true Bob, but it also speaks well for you. I just looked at your whois info the other day, and it appears honest. Most whois info has missing info, yours did not.
    *note to self - change whois info.....*

Originally posted by insiderhosting
    Hey Bob,
    While I agree that there should be some level of anonymity for providers like you and me to offer our reseller clients anonymous nameservers and the like, this is taking it to far in my opinion. Check out the following links:
    http://registrar.godaddy.com/dbp.asp
    http://www.domainsbyproxy.com/popup/..._id=1&mscssid=

All I am saying that this just gives scammers an easier way to do what they do best.

-Steven
    Yep the net is certianly a haven for scammers. They'd have false whois info anyways, so little is gained.....

Originally posted by Aussie Bob

Yep the net is certianly a haven for scammers. They'd have false whois info anyways, so little is gained.....
    Very true on that account, but then you can always check something like mapquest or some other map site (yahoomaps) to verify if it is a correct address or place of business, or not. With that godaddy BS you cannot do anything at all, and that to me is a problem.

-Steven

Insider: Thanks for that link. I didn't know about that.

Bob: Hey Bob, I agree that whois info is a haven for spammers and crazies, and that address and phone numbers probably shouldn't be required, so I like the godaddy thing.

I'm just saying that because of so many fly-by-night teenie bopper hosting scams that customers need some way to verify their host. I'm not sure what that is, but the present methods don't work well, IMHO.

With the present methods of host verification through whois, phone numbers, etc., no matter how how
    well you check out a host, you can still end up with a bad one. It's like getting married, you never know what it's like until you've tried it.

I just had another brainstorm! We could always get "hosty" to verify the hosts.

I'm just saying that because of so many fly-by-night teenie bopper hosting scams that customers need some way to verify their host. I'm not sure what that is, but the present methods don't work well, IMHO.
    Don't worry, school holidays are finished now Chris, so most of those hosts will be closing down. But I think it comes down to doing business with folks who have been around and have a good reputation. The fly-by-nighters will always come and go, but there are the ones who come and who stay.

I just had another brainstorm! We could always get "hosty" to verify the hosts.
    Careful Chris. A man of your years should be careful with them brainstorms.

Well, Bob, as we all know, that's just one scam group; there's also the senior scammers, and they are always out of school.

There's always a company's BBB record (if they are a member), ask for 5 or more references/testimonials that you can contact, check how long they have been in business, if they say they are incorporated or LLC, check with their state, send 2-3 sales emails or 2-3 phone calls at various times to see the types of responses you get, check their website for a complete FAQ/KB, well worded text (ie no spelling mistakes / bad grammar), etc...

Just a little stream of consciousness of things you can do beforehand to make sure your host is on the up and up.

- John C.