SPAM from fastservers.net & Powersurge

Why are these 2 companies, powersurge and fastservers, sending hosting offers to my WHT private mailbox? I haven't recently requested for anyone to PM me with a hosting offer. Let's see now... since I didn't request it, it is nothing more than SPAM!
      0 Not allowed!

Humm... fastservers spamming.....
      0 Not allowed!

Yes. It's rather ironic that I checked out fastservers site last nite, and probably wouldn't have gone with them anyway because of their slow-loading pages and their silly flash intro; and now since they have spammed me, there's no way I'd ever consider them.
      0 Not allowed!

I also received such PM from them a while ago. At the time, I thought it was normal marketing because I did mention in a thread that I was looking for a server. But now it seems not.

You should complain to the moderators, so they can take appropriate actions.

Fastserver's marketing effort has always been, um, unusual. A few times, they were replying to hosting request without looking at the specs; once different sales reps posted different deals in the ad forum at the same time, etc...while this certainly isn't a huge offense, it does seem like they need to coordinate their sales effort.

Peter
      0 Not allowed!

I agree. SPAM sent by PM's is not on.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for replying, Peter. I thought I might not be the only one, and that's one reason that I posted about it. Is this allowed? Can anyone just spam your PM here? If so, it should not be allowed.
      0 Not allowed!

Legitimate marketing through PM is allowed. For example, if I mention that I am looking for a server, a host could PM me with offer. However, aimless marketing is just spam, and is not allowed.

I had a few spammers PMing me their offers, I reported them, and they were banned. At the time, I didn't report fastserver because I thought the sales rep saw my post. But now it seems that he just simply sent it out to me as marketing, without having read my post.

Peter
      0 Not allowed!

Also, just as a tip for the hosts out there - in the case of legitimate marketing (seeing a member expressed interest and then approach), the PM should include reference to the post in which the member mentioned that he or she is interested in service. This way, there won't be any confusion as with whether it is a selected sales approach instead of just mindless spam.

Peter
      0 Not allowed!

I have not posted that I was looking for a server. I mentioned in a post that I had to look for a host again, but that was over a week ago. Still, I did not post a request in the ad forums. Unless someone posts a request in the ad forums, they should not be solicited.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by ckpeter
    Also, just as a tip for the hosts out there - in the case of legitimate marketing (seeing a member expressed interest and then approach), the PM should include reference to the post in which the member mentioned that he or she is interested in service. This way, there won't be any confusion as with whether it is a selected sales approach instead of just mindless spam.

Peter
    That's a good point, Peter. To give them the benefit of the doubt, though I knew I hadn't requested a server, I thought that I may have requested hosting info and didn't remember, so I read their PM. There was no mention of a request. I even searched the forums to see if my memory had failed me, and could not find a recent hosting request either. It looked just like a pasted standard solicitation that they were sending out to many people.
      0 Not allowed!

My suggestion for now is for you to report this to the moderators. At the same time, (if you feel like it) invite fastserver to explain themselves, in this thread.

Peter
      0 Not allowed!

I took your suggestion and reported it to the mods. I have a feeling that some hosts are PM'ing people just because they see their name in a forum. For example, I make a post to the dedicated forum, and a host gets my name and PMs me, though I never requested a server.
      0 Not allowed!

Yeah, I got spam from fast servers too a week or two ago.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by AceWeb
    Yeah, I got spam from fast servers too a week or two ago.
    A nice guy like you gets spammed too. That's terrible!
      0 Not allowed!

I don't know why they're soliciting business like that. I thought their order form was still inactive due to too much business...
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!
      0 Not allowed!

Strange, Bob. That's interesting. BTW, I don't why they spam a nice guy like you either.
      0 Not allowed!

Nice Life Goal Bob..

Hope it all comes out well for you
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by chrisb
    Strange, Bob. That's interesting. BTW, I don't why they spam a nice guy like you either.
    I've not been approached by PM here. I already have a server with them at HE.net. But even now they're only doing quarterly payments instead of monthly server payments. Interesting.....maybe to slow down new orders or something....
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by faculty
    Nice Life Goal Bob..

Hope it all comes out well for you
    I have another goal like that, but I can't mention it here.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Aussie Bob

I've not been approached by PM here. I already have a server with them at HE.net. But even now they're only doing quarterly payments instead of monthly server payments. Interesting.....maybe to slow down new orders or something....
    Thanks for clearing that up. I incorrectly assumed they had sent you a PM too.

If their fastserver's site is not taking orders, then why are they spamming? I am guessing that they still want new business, but haven't taken the time to change their website. Interesting that you also say they have changed to quarterly payments. In combination with the spamming, it sounds like a take-your-money-and-run operation to me. IOW, it sounds like they are trying to get as much money as they can, and then fly the coop! I hope I'm wrong for your sake.
      0 Not allowed!

I doubt that's the case; fastserver is under powersurge, and they have been around for a while. (at least they were one of the earliest cpanel distributor).

Although, as Bob pointed out, if they can't even handle current order, why spam? (another instance of un-coordinated sales).

Peter
      0 Not allowed!

That is a pretty broad statement.. I mean I know this has been happening a lot, but perhaps they want more money upfront for a specific reason? Maybe they have to purchase something?
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by chrisb

Thanks for clearing that up. I incorrectly assumed they had sent you a PM too.

If their fastserver's site is not taking orders, then why are they spamming? I am guessing that they still want new business, but haven't taken the time to change their website. Interesting that you also say they have changed to quarterly payments. In combination with the spamming, it sounds like a take-your-money-and-run operation to me. IOW, it sounds like they are trying to get as much money as they can, and then fly the coop! I hope I'm wrong for your sake.
    IMO, they're slowing down the orders by only offerring 90 day payments. A pretty good tactic for slowing down orders. I don't think it's cashflow grab. More like a "slow down the orders" strategy.

But still interesting that they're sending PMs like that.

Could we get some clarification from a fastservers representative?
      0 Not allowed!

I didn't know they had been around awhile or were basically the same company. IMHO, that makes it even worse. They should know better. So, basically I got spammed twice in 1 day by the same company.
      0 Not allowed!

BTW, my assumption WAS a stretch, but men have been "stretching it" for ages.

I wish Powersurge and Fastservers would reply, though I can't imagine what defense they could have.
      0 Not allowed!

I wouln't have thought that FS would do something like that, but I'm sure it was an honest mistake. They are a top notch company. Yeah, they are definately trying to slow down orders with the quarterly payments, so not sure why the spammed ya Chris. Maybe they just really like you

-Steven
    http://www.insiderhosting.com
    BGP Blend of Telia, GTT, Zayo, and Cogent in One Wilshire, Los Angeles!
    True Definition of Managed Hosting
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Co-location
      0 Not allowed!

Steven, it isn't just Chris. A number of us (if you read the thread, you can see) has been "contacted" by fastserver.

I don't want to make any judgement at this point - I am still waiting for an explanation from fastserver. However, passing it as "honest mistake" may be too lenient.

Peter
      0 Not allowed!

Peter,
    I read the thread, I guess I was giving them the benefit of the doubt on this one. I just didn't think a company who is doing very well at the moment needed to solicit business like that. So I was guestimating that it was an isolated incident possibly dealing with 3-4 people at the most. What can I say, I am a lenient guy, and I hate spam just as much as the next guy.

-Steven
    http://www.insiderhosting.com
    BGP Blend of Telia, GTT, Zayo, and Cogent in One Wilshire, Los Angeles!
    True Definition of Managed Hosting
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Co-location
      0 Not allowed!

I certainly see your point. Logically speaking, a company with reputation and model as fastserver shouldn't be spamming, especially since they seems to be getting too much order.

As I said before, I find the sales operation of fastserver peculiar, and the PMs may be just mindless outreaches by the individual sales rep. However, mindless or not, if it is unsolicited and uncalled for, then it is spam. Fastserver should be reprimanded appropriately (as decided by the moderators).

Peter
      0 Not allowed!

Peter, I vote for you to become a moderator. Seriously. There are no mods on the board right now, and we need another fair person.
      0 Not allowed!

Chirs:

Can you specifically e-mail me the incident that took place, which member of my staff did it (Nickname will work).

We do have a group of agressive Sales Executives working very hard to do the best they can, but obviously sending unsoliciated PM/E-Mails is not a way we need to do business and if it is the case it will be handled.

Please know that I will deal with this directly with you.

[email protected]
    FastServers.Net
    More than a Server, It's a Solution
    Dedicated Servers | Colocation
      0 Not allowed!

Instead of posting, please email anything of this nature to us as well.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken
      0 Not allowed!