Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    As a public sidenote I just want to say that our servers, i.e. servers resulting of our partnership with FDC, are UNMANAGED. The fact that we/they help clients with their problems anyway, sometimes even surpassing the definition of MANAGED servers, just shows flexibility and aprechiation towards the client.

In this case it was even a custom thing of the client and still help was offered. Abusing this help by taking it for granted thus treating support worse then slaves really doesn't help.

After the 10th+ insult Petr decided that he took enough s**t and I couldn't agree more. In fact I admire his patience...

Originally posted by NocSol
    As a public sidenote I just want to say that our servers, i.e. servers resulting of our partnership with FDC, are UNMANAGED. The fact that we/they help clients with their problems anyway, sometimes even surpassing the definition of MANAGED servers, just shows flexibility and aprechiation towards the client.
    As a public sidenote, I think their support is too intrusive. They once left a root console open, and twice decided, out of the blue, to meddle with the server without notification - no explanation to what was going on.

In this case it was even a custom thing of the client and still help was offered. Abusing this help by taking it for granted thus treating support worse then slaves really doesn't help.

After the 10th+ insult Petr decided that he took enough s**t and I couldn't agree more. In fact I admire his patience...
    Had support not been meddling with the system in the first place, we would have no problem. I am a competent admin and understand the implications of getting an unmanaged server. I expected unmanaged service, too.

By the way, WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE! Please do not swear. I am offended by this unsportsmanlike conduct. 10 yard penalty.

(I've been watching too much football.)

I removed this comment thank you --CTOCF
    Last edited by CyberTech; 09-29-2002 at 11:30 PM.

mattw, my last comment was to NocSol, not you, sorry for any confusion it may have caused

Originally posted by hosticle
    Petr is good when you dont need anything from him.
    its exactly true lol.

Heh, imagine this server was from... I don't know, let's say Rackshack.

Can anyone honestly say you'd expect Rackshack's staff to even try to troubleshoot rc.d scripts?

Unmanaged service... I don't know, from the looks of it, FDC's support offered a lot more than they're obliged to.

BUT - I do sugest both parties to rethink all this. A tiny little bit of attitude change and we'll see a happy ending instead of an 18-page wht flame war.

It's very simple when you look at it - try to work it out.

And do get this off WHT, or I'll have to get a beer, lean back and read another 18-page soap opera. And it's bad for my health.

blah, stupid providers - charge the bloke $30 to do remote hands and voila! everyone is happy

I have to agree 100% with both Ales (to ALL points) and hosticle (but only concerning above post, heh).

I think this needs to happen to more people. I know I have cut poeple off before because they continuously used vulgar language, or could not conduct themselves in a professional manner. I think more hosts need to do this because people need to learn just because you are hiding behind your computer doesnt mean you can be rude.

Hey guys, FDCServers offers unmanaged servers. That means that they don't gotta do squat. In spite of this, I've found them to be quite helpful.

I've been with them for a few months now and have been extremely happy. I always get prompt replies from Petr and almost-always prompt replies from tech support.

In spite of the fact that they offer unmanaged servers, they've provided me with excellent support. My main problem with them was that in my opinion the server was not completely set up (some components such as mysql were not installed). In any case, I got the server set up the way I wanted and everything's fine.

One problem I had was caused by my installing PHPA (highy recommended!) incorrectly. I asked Petr why my box kept rebooting and he politely pointed out that I should check the log files for possible problems. I discovered my PHPA problem in the Apache log file. In this case Petr really helped me by suggesting that I should check the log file. (Nick of PHPA was also very helpful in helping me to get this problem resolved).

I would suggest that anyone who wants to go mucking around with the boot scripts should really know 100% what they're doing. I wouldn't touch those babies with a ten foot pole. That's what managed servers are for.

Just my $0.02

The problem

The problem I have is this - I don't want a managed server.

I don't want tech support to poke around without asking.

They were doing something without asking - if they hadn't been poking around, this wouldn't have happened.

Anyway, this actually helped. I wanted to get a new server anyway (from someone that doesn't have major packet loss and occasional complete packet loss.)

Entiled to a refund

According to this WHT post, we are entlited for a full refund of the $107.10 we have paid.

user belaus is

you are not

Originally posted by Abu Mami
    I would suggest that anyone who wants to go mucking around with the boot scripts should really know 100% what they're Mydoing. I wouldn't touch those babies with a ten foot pole. That's what managed servers are for.

Just my $0.02
    My friend the bootfiles are merely simple scripts, and are very easy to edit, and if a 'Tech' cannot edit those files then he does not deserve his job as a 'Tech', just my two cents

Where are you adressing belarus?

Never was it said that you were adressing belarus. You were just answering his question.
    2. No we can`t but you can ask for refund for entire lenght of you service if we don`t
    Throughout the email, you debate between September and December. It's Sept. 30 and we don't have it. Therefore, we are entitled to a rebate.

Lets say someone recompile their kernel and backed up their old kernel + lilo config. You reboot and to find that you can't SSH to your box (because the provider forgot to disable the onboard nic so eth0 and eth1 gets switched around with messes with network setup). You know that the other kernel will work, if only someone will manually select the original kernel label at the lilo prompt so you can fix it. The provider tells you sorry this is an unmanaged service and the only thing they can do is restore.

Now what would you do?
    <<Please RTFM for signature setup>>

The server is not paid for anyway. You even CANCELLED my PayPal Money Request. So you would be cut off since 2 days now anyway...

You don't pay, you are rude and demand managed services. You can take this thread 18 pages long if you like now, have fun!

Originally posted by VS-Lap
    Now what would you do?
    Hoping it's a bad dream ...
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

Originally posted by NocSol
    The server is not paid for anyway. You even CANCELLED my PayPal Money Request. So you would be cut off since 2 days now anyway...

You don't pay, you are rude and demand managed services. You can take this thread 18 pages long if you like now, have fun!
    The PayPal request was cancelled because the server was cancelled. DUH!

You aren't the most agreeable person in the world, either.

What I demand is unmanaged services - FDCservers tech support was doing something to our server without consulting us first. When they need to do something to our server, they should explain what they're doing. Then, since they need to do something, they should listen to us in case we have any special instructions.

Apparenly, FDCservers has the impression that they offer managed serivce.
    Last edited by mattwnet; 09-30-2002 at 09:45 PM.

I've found they're great. They just gave me 80gb of backup space and changed my OS for free.

Thumbs up!

How long have you been with them?

Peter

We had them for one mere month. I need to go lay down, I am in pain, ate some bad steak I think...

Originally posted by goodness0001
    I think this needs to happen to more people. I know I have cut poeple off before because they continuously used vulgar language, or could not conduct themselves in a professional manner. I think more hosts need to do this because people need to learn just because you are hiding behind your computer doesnt mean you can be rude.
    What ever happened to the customer is allways right?

There's no such thing as the customer is always right.
    It depends on the situation. I mean, if a customer buys a car, then smashes the window and claims it was already like that when he got it then demands a reduction - is he right?

I do agree, I would like to hear why FDC went into his server if it wasn't asked for. I had C.I.Host do that to me when I had my first dedicated server - they went in at night and changed all my IPs so no domains would work until I changed the DNS records.
    They done it twice without asking.

James

Originally posted by CyberTech

My friend the bootfiles are merely simple scripts, and are very easy to edit, and if a 'Tech' cannot edit those files then he does not deserve his job as a 'Tech', just my two cents
    How can you ask for a refund if you didnt even pay lol......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast