Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do You Peoples prefer elance.com? for web development companies?

Hello every one.
    i was thinking to register my company at elance.com (Select package/quarterly plan) cos we do provide extremely quality works but almost 90% peoples can not afford our prices over here at WHT and they running behind low qualities and prices (eg:$60-$80) which is not really comming in our cost (not even in dreams).
    so my main point was is elance.com good for professional companies? or not? any experience? information etc?
    waiting for your helps.
    Thank you
    P.S: please do not post any offtopic reply.
    Last edited by TripleSoft; 09-28-2002 at 10:16 AM.
    Contact Triplesoft.net Online Web Development Company
    Aim: kodvavis
    email: info@triplesoft.net
    Http://www.triplesoft.net

elance is a great service, and even though I don't use them myself I've heard only good things.

Some people may be put off by their monthly subscription costs but in all honesty, it keeps the standard high
    hosting53.com - the hosting solutions company

Thanks ice53ltd for the positive comments.

anyone more?

The same people doing websites for nothing here will be underbidding you at elance. It has a bad reputation with pro designers and having to pay hasn't changed it that much.
    Best way to get work is to market your company, particularly locally.
    Good suggestions for marketing yourself are at:
    http://www.freelanceworkshops.com
    http://www.artofselfpromotion.com/articles.html

Laurak
    laurak @ madmousergraphics.com
    madmousergraphics.com
    Last edited by Chicken; 09-28-2002 at 07:27 PM.
    Laura K.
    http://www.madmousergraphics.com
    graphic design for grownups

Yes, people doing websites for nothing shouldn't be allowed here. I mean, come on, $25 for a website?! I could get a pizza and pop for that.
    Lead Designer @ SingleHop

I think people should offer what they like for work - if they get paid what they want then who's to stop them?

I'm sure there must be a quality difference between someone offering a site for $20 and someone charging $500 - let the buyer realise his mistakes for choosing someone cheap.

In the end, you get what you pay for and sensible clients know that... they're the ones professionals should be looking to work with anyway.

My company is a very high end web design firm.

We where members for 3 months and didn't get 1 client from elance.

my guess is that elance has a lot of 14 year old kids who do web design for spare pot money and underbid everyone.

I have seen large projects go for very cheap prices. It's not even worth our while to stay on elance.

We get a lot of phone calls from people wanting web sites in the $100 - $300 range. We just tell them "you get what you pay for" and if you want to go with another design company that will charge you that much go ahead; and we will be waiting for your phone call in a few months when you're not happy with your site

Elance has WAY too many service providers.

My advise: Dont even bother with them
    Last edited by modihost; 09-28-2002 at 06:45 PM.
    modiphy.com :: Phenomenal Web Design
    modiHost.com :: Affordable Web Hosting

Thanks for all of your help and i really apreciate it.
    ice53ltd :that was a nice wordings "you get what you pay for "
    ======
    we provide the best quality and we do have very original products in our portfolio which worth more then 1k-2k (but our prices are not that high) but some peoples requesting the same quality for 100-200 which makes me to reject their offers if i provide the same quality which he pay for will make a bad effect on our company in future so i am just like under our company rules and trying to find some good place where people's can afford and respect my company quality.
    1 company was asking the same quality which is in
    http://www.triplesoft.net/clients/verifast/
    for $150 USD i mean its rediculous how can we provide this for $150 again "you get what you pay for ".
    Thank you.

thank you modihost yes they do have very old web development firm companies and almost 50% contracts goes to them so am trying to search a new place.

Hi,

We have posted a number of custom scripting requirements at elance.com and have had a huge number of quality people do work for us.

About 12 months ago we had a customer database backend system developed by a guy from Bulgaria and the work (and continued support) is of top notch quality.

This particular guy did the work very, very cheap as far as we are concerned, but he was VERY happy with the amount he got.

The problem is you can have someone in the US and someone in Bulgaria with exacty the same talent, but the guy in Bulgaria is much happier with xUSD than the guy in the US.

Hope that makes sense, but from a buyers point of view, I think elance is fantastic.

triplesoft:

Both of our companies are in the same boat.

A lot of people are not willing to pay the prices that we charge. Because we do QUALITY not QUANTUTY

We have been in business for 2 years now and this is the best advice I can give you.

Just hang in there and keep doing as many sites as you can and build your portfolio. Eventually you won't have to do any marketing. People will just start calling you and walk in the door. If you keep your customers happy they will refer friends and whatnot. It's like a snowball that keeps getting bigger and bigger. We have seen our snowball getting huge.

We landed 6 clients in 1 month with absolutely now marketing. One of them was a VERY large state contract.

That's a record. And we are not showing signs of slowing down.
    Last edited by modihost; 09-28-2002 at 06:44 PM.
    modiphy.com :: Phenomenal Web Design
    modiHost.com :: Affordable Web Hosting

Hello modihost
    thanks for your suggestion thats what we gonna do in future and will stand on our prices and quality.

Elance is a good service. The deisgners customized to the client's needs. One thing it really does is add validity to the designers abilities and the certainty of services rendered. Their portfolios and qualifications are posted and feedback results are given. For the customer, it adds assurance and comfort that the designer has not screwed anybody or ripped off designs of others and sold them as their own. For the designer, the standards are set and it includes a percentage of the fee upfront so they won't be taken by unscrupulous clients. As folks at WHT has seen before, some designers and some customers can not be trusted. So Elance does add a level of comfort as to who you do business with.
    intellec
    ....you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get....

On average, we charge 15-20,000 for a full site ;]
    But hey, you get what you pay for ;D

Thumbs up Good stuff about Elance

Good stuff everyone... and pretty much right on the money!

We (CQN Graphics, www.clickquicknow.com) have been with Elance for months and have had mixed results.

Overall I LOVE Elance and think it is an exceptional business model. But at the beginning, there were many false bids, fake projects etc... they have done a good job to fix that and now do have more REAL projects. But there are those that low ball the bid etc... You really can't worry about them. Bid a real bid for the project and don't give up. We bid every day and do still get work, even though we are not anywhere near the lowest bid.

There are good companies looking for good Service Providers. If you are one of them, then sign-up, it is worth it.

CQN

Originally posted by ninji
    On average, we charge 15-20,000 for a full site ;]
    But hey, you get what you pay for ;D
    You are either PixelBrick or 2advanced....or FantasyInterfaces or....or.....someone good

alright i will try going with elance but there is 1 more company same like elance and its kinda new on the web so am going to try them first as they have 30 day money back guarantee lets see
    thanks to all of you

Well, as a customer looking for programming services I can give you an other point of view
    I am now saving money and making a project description which I will place on both Elance.com and Guru.com . I know that I want quality, that's why I am saving money now so I can afford quality. I have posted projects before at Elance and you always get the same people if they like your project. There are companies who hired someone just to bid on projects at Elance and other market places. You see them in every project, and are at the highest ranks of big earners. So you will see those companies (there are a few) always. That makes competition for companies who don't have someone standing by for such market places tougher.
    And besides that bids you will always get the hard-to-believe bids and the resonable bids. People will do a lot to get comments from customers to be more reliable for higher priced project. So you can't compete with them.
    Overall the prices of the Hungarion and Indian type of companies are always lower while they sometimes offer good quality.
    American companies are always the highest prices, except the ones who outsource to lower wages countries.

But to make it short, for you as an American company offering good quality it is hard to compete with all the types of companies on Elance. And if you look at the stats, you will see that only the top 25 companies on Elance get the projects, while the majority (about 98% I believe) gets nothing! I counted this once, about half a year ago, and I believe this percentage still holds.
    If I were you I would spend my money on other sorts of advertising.

Jacco
    Wordpress website builder (Build Your Own Money Site) and hosting enthusiast. I test cloud hosters for speed :-). Currently working on HIPAA HQ, Let's Grind Some Coffee and Build Your Own Web Store.

We are not pixelbrick or 2advanced but I assure you we are just as good, our graphics department has been operating for several large companies and orginizations and will now be offering graphics and awsome printing rates aswell to the public very soon. We will have a public site online soon with a portfolio for you all to see, dont be discourage of my mention of the price above if you need a site design, thats for a full site with backend coding and making the whole site all the pages etc...

I havn't seen fantasyinterfaces before, just looked at their site, they truley posses some skill, even as a competitor I must give them my approval. However, They seem to only do 2d design and flash, where as we do all types of design from audio to video, full array of printing solutions, and out graphics and flash designers are top class ;]

any online examples?
    » Poised.com - Marketing with Passion
    Tamer o'kail - Creative Director

ninji, how good are you? we want to see the $15 project and the $20,000 project, and samples in between.
    intellec
    ....you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get....

We are currently developing a corporate and an extremely detailed interactive site for our graphics team, they will both have a portfolio with tons of examples our portfolio and everything.

I'll add my 2 cents.

We posted 2 jobs on eLance. We accepted 2 bids that were from very high rated sources. These bids were neither the highest nor the lowest, but tended to be in the highest 3 bids received.

We were horribly dissapointed with both. Frustrating communications, missed deadlines, and shoddy work.

It really seemed as if these were kids working out of their basement.

We were terribly dissapointed and will not use eLance in the future.

my guess is that elance has a lot of 14 year old kids who do web design for spare pot money and underbid everyone.

Is this the same for web hosts also? The only way to get a quality and RELIABLE service of any kind is to go with a established company with a track record. The past couple of months on WHT has shown what can happen when people deal with novices and scoundrels!

Just wondering... but aren't companies like elance able to stop 14 years even using their service?

In the UK atleast you must be 18 to enter into a contract, and any form of freelance work would presumably require a contract.

That said, just because someone does bad work doesn't mean they're 14... We must all have known at least one incompetent adult worker?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast